Which domestic 3-row crossover would last the longest?

‘22 Dodge Durango SXT 3.6 V6/8-speed. 11k miles

‘21 Ford Explorer XLT 2.3 I4/10-speed. 33k miles

‘21 Chevy Traverse LS 3.6 V6/9-speed. 32k miles

‘19 Ford Explorer XLT 2.3/6 speed. 26k miles

‘18 Ford Explorer XLT 3.5 NA V6/6 speed. 45k miles

Interested in these examples. Am in the salt belt so obviously will need to check under for rust. No maintenance records on them other than carfax oil change. Nothing spectacular but nothing abused either. The older Fords are under $25k while the rest are $28-29k range.

I’m looking for a 3 row crossover that can pull my 20’ pontoon twice a year(10 miles each way) and occasionally my utility trailer. Vehicle is mainly used for long trips so I need something that won’t leave me stranded. Toyota Highlander/Honda Pilot are out of reach. Can’t find anything with the age/miles I want for the price range(sub $30k), plus the Honda V6 rod bearing recall is worrying.

I like the Durango, and from what I hear the Pentastar/ZF is a decent powertrain. Rest of the car, mainly electronics, I’m iffy about. But the example is clean and low mileage.

Traverse is great for its size but I from what I’ve read the 3.6 is hit or miss. Timing issues still a thing with the newer motors? The cars got typical wear & tear for a lease vehicle.

Lastly the Explorer. Don’t know much about the newer 2.3 but I know the 3.5NA is a solid motor. Although it’s an older rig so I’m sure it’ll start needing misc. work sooner than later. The newer 2.3 is also an off lease with average wear & tear. The older ones are in nice shape for the age.

I’m ok with turning a wrench here n there and don’t need it to be an oil change only vehicle. I’d like to keep it for as long as I can. I keep up with maintenance but some cars no matter what you do they eventually fall apart(mainly BMWs in my experience).

Which would last the longest?

Last edited:
While Id agree that the Pentastar is a good bet, the Police go with the explorers, so there are probably bigger numbers, more parts, etc. out there. So Id look at one of those first...

‘22 Dodge Durango SXT 3.6 V6/8-speed. 11k miles

‘21 Ford Explorer XLT 2.3 I4/10-speed. 33k miles

‘21 Chevy Traverse LS 3.6 V6/9-speed. 32k miles

‘19 Ford Explorer XLT 2.3/6 speed. 26k miles

‘18 Ford Explorer XLT 3.5 NA V6/6 speed. 45k miles

Interested in these examples. Am in the salt belt so obviously will need to check under for rust. No maintenance records on them other than carfax oil change. Nothing spectacular but nothing abused either. The older Fords are under $25k while the rest are $28-29k range.

I’m looking for a 3 row crossover that can pull my 20’ pontoon twice a year(10 miles each way) and occasionally my utility trailer. Vehicle is mainly used for long trips so I need something that won’t leave me stranded. Toyota Highlander/Honda Pilot are out of reach. Can’t find anything with the age/miles I want for the price range(sub $30k), plus the Honda V6 rod bearing recall is worrying.

I like the Durango, and from what I hear the Pentastar/ZF is a decent powertrain. Rest of the car, mainly electronics, I’m iffy about. But the example is clean and low mileage.

Traverse is great for its size but I from what I’ve read the 3.6 is hit or miss. Timing issues still a thing with the newer motors? The cars got typical wear & tear for a lease vehicle.

Lastly the Explorer. Don’t know much about the newer 2.3 but I know the 3.5NA is a solid motor. Although it’s an older rig so I’m sure it’ll start needing misc. work sooner than later. The newer 2.3 is also an off lease with average wear & tear. The older ones are in nice shape for the age.

I’m ok with turning a wrench here n there and don’t need it to be an oil change only vehicle. I’d like to keep it for as long as I can. I keep up with maintenance but some cars no matter what you do they eventually fall apart(mainly BMWs in my experience).

Which would last the longest?
I can't recommend any of them. Too bad the two that won't leave you stranded are out of your budget. There are reasons those two are priced higher.

There are many examples of high miles Toyota Highlanders that have been bullet proof.
Explorers are absolute garbage -IMHO.

When I test drove an Explorer with the 2.3 I hated it. The 10-speed was all over the place.

The older Explorer with the 3.5 would be the one I'd pick of those BUT that would be assuming it is priced the lowest as it's the highest mileage and oldest.

Water pumps on those are an issue. Transmission can be hit or miss but I think if you don't tow and you change the fluid you'll be fine.

Reactions: hrv
I always figured if I needed AWD and seats for 7 or 8 I'd go right to the newest full size GM SUV I could afford. Especially if you aren't doing a ton of miles and gas is pretty cheap in the US. The FWD based ones are cramped minivans. Which maybe fine for you, but for 3 rows in use and some cargo, its either minivan or full size SUV. I haven't really investigated the AWD Sienna as its too low for logging roads in the winter, and it seems it gets about the same mileage as a Suburban.
Definitely. The longitudinally mounted 3.5 are great engines!
After 2011 the Explorer became a minivan too.... with that nicely located water pump...

My friend's highlander lost engine at 80K, after the coolant line burst on highway and he missed the moment. Seems like a not very uncommon thing of leaking coolant lines on 1st and 2nd gens
just not saying that Toyotas not reliable, saying that be careful with high mileage

I always figured if I needed AWD and seats for 7 or 8 I'd go right to the newest full size GM SUV I could afford. Especially if you aren't doing a ton of miles and gas is pretty cheap in the US. The FWD based ones are cramped minivans. Which maybe fine for you, but for 3 rows in use and some cargo, its either minivan or full size SUV. I haven't really investigated the AWD Sienna as its too low for logging roads in the winter, and it seems it gets about the same mileage as a Suburban.

After 2011 the Explorer became a minivan too.... with that nicely located water pump...
My mistake - I thought OP was looking at current gen explorers with a longitudinal engine.

The sideways ones ... yeah, no good. Transverse , V6 is always a hard NO for me.

Out of that list ,only the Durango or 21 Exploder are what I'd chose.

I love our 2021 Chevy Traverse LS AWD. It's basic per today's standards. No lane departure/ blind spot warnings. No radar, auto or park assist anything. Just a reverse camera. Easily defeatable auto stop/start. SO comfortable to be in and drive. Roomy engine bay for today. Ours is the 8 seater with 2nd row bench seat.

Super easy engine oil changes on the 3.6 and fluid maintenance on the 9T65, the transfer case, rear diff and rear diff clutch housing are all easy to DIY spill and fill.

I have yet to see a timing chain problem with a 2018+ LFY 3.6, but you really don't see many beyond 2015 or so.

My mistake - I thought OP was looking at current gen explorers with a longitudinal engine.

The sideways ones ... yeah, no good. Transverse , V6 is always a hard NO for me.

Out of that list ,only the Durango or 21 Exploder are what I'd chose.

Considering both the new and old Explorer. The older transverse ones are starting to become harder to come by with lower miles. The new ones are a dime and dozen.

JMHO. The 3 row CUV types seem to be nothing but trade off's. If it were me, and I needed to tow and haul people, I think I would either go full size truck based - Tahoe, Armada, Sequoia - even if I had to go older.

Or go mini-van and rent a u-haul to tow your boat twice a year.

Of those listed, I would take the traverse.

I can't recommend any of them. Too bad the two that won't leave you stranded are out of your budget. There are reasons those two are priced higher.

There are many examples of high miles Toyota Highlanders that have been bullet proof.
Explorers are absolute garbage -IMHO.

I began my 3 row search with highlanders but anything close to $30k is 50k or more miles. Anything lower is only a few thousand less than new, but then I’m not trying to spend $40k on it either. Hence I ended up looking at the domestics.

There are a few of the new non CVT Nissan Pathfinders that are a hair above $30k, which may be an alternative. But I swore off Nissan years ago after mine was a total bucket. Apparently the new build quality isn’t that much better either.

JMHO. The 3 row CUV types seem to be nothing but trade off's. If it were me, and I needed to tow and haul people, I think I would either go full size truck based - Tahoe, Armada, Sequoia - even if I had to go older.

Or go mini-van and rent a u-haul to tow your boat twice a year.

Of those listed, I would take the traverse.

I’ll still have my F150, but it is getting old and rusty. I’ll likely pull my boat with it for another year or two, maybe three, then when the trucks too far gone it’ll go to the crusher and I’ll use my 3 row to pull it with. The truck just isn’t worth much anymore and makes more sense to run it into the ground.

That being said I would really like an Odyssey for the practicality/cargo capacity but they won’t be able to handle pulling my boat.

I began my 3 row search with highlanders but anything close to $30k is 50k or more miles. Anything lower is only a few thousand less than new, but then I’m not trying to spend $40k on it either. Hence I ended up looking at the domestics.

There are a few of the new non CVT Nissan Pathfinders that are a hair above $30k, which may be an alternative. But I swore off Nissan years ago after mine was a total bucket. Apparently the new build quality isn’t that much better either.
A Highlander even with miles pushing 100,000 still has a lot of life left. Hang out on Toyotanation.com or similar sites to verify what I am saying.

A Highlander even with miles pushing 100,000 still has a lot of life left. Hang out on Toyotanation.com or similar sites to verify what I am saying.
I am no stranger to Toyotas. They run forever but road salt here eats these cars away. Having had a bad experience with my 2 year old used Toyota Tacoma I will only touch new Toyotas now. I lost a transmission line while on a trip and by the time I found out the damage had been done. Filled it back up and traded it in. That just left a bad taste in my mouth. I do take really good care of my rigs but Toyota/Hondas just seem to rust out quicker if they aren’t undercoated from new

Back