2023 Tiguan SE

I want to add a 3rd vehicle to the fleet. This will not be replacing my Tahoe or the Suburban but complimenting them.

I have been shopping the New compact SUV segment. I like the ease to get in and out, rear hatch/cargo room is desirable, AWD is not a must but a nicety. I want this size as there's a good chance work will be taking me downtown and potentially parking in ramps, garages, etc. I can tell you what I do not like -- no Equinox, no Escape, no Nissan, no Hyundai or Kia. I think that leaves me with VW, Toyota, Honda and or their Luxury brands.

I have also been looking for nice used examples of something that would fit the bill, but for around $10-15k; Seems like you're either (A) getting a few thousand off MSRP buying 2-3 year old with 15-30k miles, buying a 8 y/o with 3 the MSRP or buying a roach coach cheap. I just think this is the current condition of the market and don't think it is anywhere near close to rebounding. That, and some of these older vehicles are now for some reason commanding a collector or "Rare/Unique" price. Panther body Town Cars I've seen are 10-15k now... WOAH 😲

Rates on loans look like toilet water so paying cash is what I'm thinking.

Never owned a VW before, but interested by the Tiguan. I enjoy its styling and the SE trim level has all I'd need. Heated seats, leather(ish), remote start, Apple CarPlay. 4cyl turbo, 8-speed auto (no CVT) and around 29mpg. Seems like for the price, you get a lot for around the $32-34k price point versus other makes where you'll have to step up to an EX-L/Premium/Limited/etc.

So how is a newer VW? The EA888 is a 2.0T and calls for VW 508 0W-20. The trans. appears to be an Asian 8-speed variant shared with many makes.

Could one purchase something like the aforementioned WV, maintain it very well and expect it to go 10 years/200k? That would be my goal.

I definitely think you could. I'd worry more about electrical issues during that span but those aren't things you could prevent so don't worry too much. But maintain it well and it should last. I'd ignore the 0w-20 and use a something pennzoil platinum euro L. Turbo would appreciate it in the 200k run. I'd spill and fill the trans fluid at 30k intervals.

Ours is 4 years old and not a single problem. Fit and finish is excellent both inside and out. It rides good and gets good fuel mileage. The engine is a little noisy. The power is adequate. The transmission is smooth.

You can see from my signature that I have two VWs. Great cars. The Passat has the 2.0 liter engine and uses the 508 oil. No oil burning and it runs great at almost 30,000 miles. I am very impressed with the fit and finish,the performance and the economy of bot vehicles. I would but a new Tiguan in an instant.

We've had our '22 Tiguan since September of last year, and it's approaching 16K km. It's primarily my wife's commuter - 30-45 minutes each way depending on the day, mix of highway and city. Ours is the Comfortline trim, which sounds like it's somewhere close to the US "SE" trim. Ours had power lift gate and rear cross-traffic deletes due to parts shortages. I would rather have had the features than the few hundred dollar discount, but at least VW was putting vehicles on dealer lots. The same couldn't be said for competing Mazda or Toyota products at the time. My plan "A" was a Rav4, but availability was about half a year out.

We both like the car overall. As another poster mentioned, the engine is a bit noisy - I would define it as clatter. It's not so loud that it bothers me, but I do notice it when I'm outside and my wife drives off.

I don't love the transmission programming as it seems to second guess itself and hesitate. I find I can predict and influence shifting of most automatics with my right foot, but this one not so much. Bumping it into sport mode helps. Downshifting the tiptronic (or whatever VW calls it) while decelerating into a turn is entertaining enough.

Auto start-stop is annoying. We turn it off as part of the ignition on/park brake off sequence every time we get in. I'm thankful that the button is easily accessed next to the console shifter, rather than being buried in a menu somewhere. I sometimes intentionally re-activate it at long lights and rail crossings. I just can't stand it making the car stumble at stop signs.

I don't regret buying it. The timing wasn't ideal, but it replaced an '03 Explorer that I was losing confidence in as we approached our extremely cold winter season. As you've pointed out, the used market isn't exactly enticing at the moment.

Since we're on an oil forum - besides the VAG-branded 508.00 from the dealer, Mobil EXP X2 and Edge LL IV FE (both 508 approved) are readily available locally - only in single quarts, frustratingly. Top-side oil and filter changes are a breeze with an extractor.

I'm more of a Toyota fan but the VW owners on here seem to be very positive on them. In fact I don't recall any complaints. Everything from the Tiguan, Jetta, Passat(discontinued), Atlas and even the Arteon get favorable reviews.

I definitely think you could. I'd worry more about electrical issues during that span but those aren't things you could prevent so don't worry too much. But maintain it well and it should last. I'd ignore the 0w-20 and use a something pennzoil platinum euro L. Turbo would appreciate it in the 200k run. I'd spill and fill the trans fluid at 30k intervals.
VW recommends 40k changes on both the 8 spd and DSG.
My dealer charges the same on both. I think the plugs on the 2L are at 40k too.
Haven't got that many miles on mine yet.

Last edited:
Here in Maryland it looks like $2k off MSRP as they have many available.
Hmm... would you mind throwing out a zip for me to look around inventory? Maryland isn't that far from NYS specially to save a couple thousand.

Hmm... would you mind throwing out a zip for me to look around inventory? Maryland isn't that far from NYS specially to save a couple thousand.
Sure I will PM you a dealer that gives $1200. Off before negotiations. I have purchased from them before. But you need to to get further off and from what I see you can.

Sounds like quite a few of you have had some good experiences with them :).

Me and my wife will probably go test one in the coming weeks here. Looks like they have a special finance offer of 0.9% for 36 months. Wouldn't be a bad promo to take advantage of, could finance half, put down half and pay a low amount of interest.

Pretty interested by these to be honest, I've only heard of German horror stories... but that is probably from those not well informed who bleed Detroit and nothing else.

Seems like a good little car.

The only thing that will need attention is the water pump. If you start losing coolant, the pump is cracked.
Replace with all aluminum one.

The EA888 ain't no GTI engine. It's a Budack cycle engine, which is a modified Miller Cycle which instead is an early closing of the intake valve during the intake stroke. It's not the most powerful feeling 2.0T engine. The Budack 2.0T on the Passat is a detuned version from the Tiguan.

Smaller turbo, weaker internals, all for the name of efficiency.

Sounds like quite a few of you have had some good experiences with them :).

Me and my wife will probably go test one in the coming weeks here. Looks like they have a special finance offer of 0.9% for 36 months. Wouldn't be a bad promo to take advantage of, could finance half, put down half and pay a low amount of interest.

Pretty interested by these to be honest, I've only heard of German horror stories... but that is probably from those not well informed who bleed Detroit and nothing else.

Seems like a good little car.
You need to watch VW on the finance deals. They usually like to nail you full MSRP if you take them. You need to weigh out what's the best deal.
They offered 0 percent on my Arteon but tried to take away the discounts I negotiated...
I got heavy discounts in 2021 so I left the zero percent and took the discounts instead.

Back