2012 VW Tiguan, 7 month review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there's a few VW posts in the vehicle section I figured I would post a follow-up for the Tiguan I purchased back in June.

Below is my original thread with impressions of the car. Lets see if anything has changed over the last few months...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...445#Post2658445

I bought the "S" version of the Tiguan which is a nice name for the base model. Tiguan's can get unbelievably pricey if you upgrade the trim. Throw in the AWD, panoramic sunroof, navigation, and leather seats, and we're looking at a $37,000 car. That's just stupid expensive.

I got most of the goodies that I wanted in the base trim, including a manual trans, cloth seats, and all of the well-built interior craftsmanship found in any version for $20,600 out the door. It worked for me. These things are pretty hard to find in a manual so this, coupled with the 2013's arriving at the dealership soon, knocked $3,000 off the MSRP.

photo12vt.jpg

photo23nv.jpg

Exterior:

The Tiguan looks good. I know this is all in the eye of the beholder, but I am never afraid to admit that I own an ugly car (I've owned many) but for a CUV I think the Tiguan is pretty handsome.

The Candy White paint is classy on this vehicle and grew with me over time. I was not thrilled about getting a white car but I think the black plastics and dark colors on the front grill work well with the white.

Speaking of the black plastics on the car, I learned to love the plastic molding around the bottom of the vehicle. Scuffs and scrapes on the paint would bother me much more than on some plastic parts.

Interior:

photo42g.jpg

photo32st.jpg

My interior is always a wreck in the winter, so excuse the messiness.

The interior's design is simple and very german. The materials are all of very good quality, the fit is tight, everything is rattle-free, but it lacks personality.

German interiors usually age well because they keep it classy, simple, and never do anything too drastic. I am okay with this. I have always been more into a simple styled interior. The original thread I posted has more interior shots if interested.

Seats are really nice. I like good cloth seats, and everything in the Tiguan is adjustable enough and comfortable for long trips. Lumbar support and overall quality is not quite there compared to the new Golf or GTI but I'd say that's to be expected.

Headroom and legroom is great no matter where you sit. I have a friend who is 6'6" and he did fine in the backseat.

Cargo space in the back is a con, but I knew this getting into this vehicle. The competition has it beat in this area. You can slide the back seats forward to expand cargo room but I have been in Rav4's and CRV's and they definitely have the Tiguan beat.

Performance/Drive:

photo22jb.jpg

The Tiguan shines in the performance department. It's not a powerhouse by any means. The 2.0T in this vehicle is tuned very conservatively but the power it delivers is addictive and fun to row the gears with. It's rated to do 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds according to VW. I would say that "feels" about right. The FWD, manual trans weighs right under 3400lbs. So it's not light, but it's also not as much of as boat as some might expect.

The fuel economy ratings aren't great for this car with the 6-speed. 18/26 is how this car is rated. I found that if you keep highway speeds at around 55-65mph you can get about 30-32mpg but once you start cruising at 70-80mph 27mpg is the magic number.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jeekree/tiguan

I track all my fill ups. I do 0% hwy driving but my roads are suburban streets of philadelphia, so take that for what it is. I'm averaging 23mpg so far.

Handling is good for the class. It feels like a car and it doesn't feel fat and overweight.
-------------------
That's all I have for now.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Nice review, it sounds like it delivers what you want and need.

Although the manual isn't available in the SE to me at least the pricing doesn't get really crazy until the SEL. I think most of the Tiguans sold are probably SE's at least that is what I see the most of. I've only seen a couple of SEL's.

I believe they call the Tiguan the Golf Plus in Europe (I remember seeing them but didn't think they looked identical). With the exception of the panel vents, that interior is almost identical to my GTI. You even have the same color combo - it's like a big version of my car!

I liked the Terrain I had before more than the GTI, but the shifter and clutch sure feel good and it is fun to row through the gears. Good choice on the 6 speed manual!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I believe they call the Tiguan the Golf Plus in Europe

In Europe they have both the Tiguan and Golf Plus. They are not the same vehicle.

Got it. I wasn't 100% sure they were the same vehicle but they sure are close!

It is a classy looking vehicle.
Do you have to run premium gas?
Is it made in Germany or Mexico?

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Wow, I did a "build your own" on the VW site and it did not find one manual in the entire country...go figure.

lol, like I said, they're fairly hard to find. According to an article in MotorTrend VW only sold 90 MT Tiguans in the U.S. from 2009-2011.

Originally Posted By: jigen
lol, like I said, they're fairly hard to find. According to an article in MotorTrend VW only sold 90 MT Tiguans in the U.S. from 2009-2011.

Yup. Soccer moms don't like sticks. Their hands are busy holding the phone in one hand and lipstick in the other.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back