'19 Tiguan, my first VW experience

Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by edyvw
Owning 1st generation Tiaguan, there is now ay I could get new one. Too much Toyota like.
You've lost your mind. The first gen Tiguan wasn't much more than a lifted MK5 with a worse interior. The new Tiguan is leaps and bounds ahead.
It is OK vehicle, but it is heavier, not as peppy as an old one. Now if they offered GTI EA888, that would be different story.
I know the REAL reason why you don't like it edy, it has an Aisin 8-speed automatic, in your opinion the worst automatic transmission ever produced.
Old one has Aisin too. 8 speed Aisin in VW unlike in Toyota and Lexus, works good.
 
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by paoester
About the 508 spec, one would think Castrol Edge extended performance in the gold 5-qt bottle at walmart would work as well as any 508 since it can go 20,000 miles like the top Mobil1 claims too. I got the ECS Tuning online oil change kit for now with OE Castrol (gold bottles by coincidence). Castrol might use the same or very similar formula between their 20,000 mile oil and the OE VW Castrol Professional we can get. Tiguan's Low Oil Level yellow warning light and sump sensor is nice. It also tracks oil temperature down there way low. I might be able to read it somewhere on the dash or maybe using an OBDII bluetooth with phone app. One should always tuck a pint of oil in a good container in the back in case you're out driving and you see the Low Level warning. Better than oil pressure low thats for sure.
If I owned that car by some chance, I would use Castrol 0W40.
 

paoester

Thread starter
Messages
640
Location
Colorado
Originally Posted by edyvw
[quote=paoester]If I owned that car by some chance, I would use Castrol 0W40.
0w40 is 2300 cSt at -4F, compared to 1460 for 0w20. At -22F, a bad winter morning but it gets there once in a while, 0w40 is 5930 while 0w20 is 3800. Comparing M1 0w40/0w20 using the Widman calculator. On this EA888B engine, VW might be concerned about the oil pump trying to distribute oil over 4000 cSt. I can't think of any other reason why VW warns we must use 0w20.
 
Messages
6,665
Location
Scruffy City
Originally Posted by paoester
About the 508 spec, one would think Castrol Edge extended performance in the gold 5-qt bottle at walmart would work as well as any 508 since it can go 20,000 miles like the top Mobil1 claims too. I got the ECS Tuning online oil change kit for now with OE Castrol (gold bottles by coincidence). Castrol might use the same or very similar formula between their 20,000 mile oil and the OE VW Castrol Professional we can get. ...
You know the proper approved oil has a marker so they can tell if it is approved oil correct?
 
Messages
8,983
Location
North Carolina
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
You know the proper approved oil has a marker so they can tell if it is approved oil correct?
You know the dealership doesn't care? Oil analysis by the OEM/dealer falls into two categories: clear neglect or good to go.
 
Messages
11,593
Location
Phoenix
Originally Posted by edyvw
Old one has Aisin too. 8 speed Aisin in VW unlike in Toyota and Lexus, works good.
The 2 to 1 downshift at low speeds can be rough, think accelerating from 5 MPH if you're approaching a red light that turns green. I'm also getting a really weird shudder at low speeds 5-15 mph. The car just shakes back and forth pretty harshly.
 
Messages
6,776
Location
New England
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by edyvw
Old one has Aisin too. 8 speed Aisin in VW unlike in Toyota and Lexus, works good.
The 2 to 1 downshift at low speeds can be rough, think accelerating from 5 MPH if you're approaching a red light that turns green. I'm also getting a really weird shudder at low speeds 5-15 mph. The car just shakes back and forth pretty harshly.
I heard the transmission was a mess according to inter webs in our 2018 Tiguan however the 8 speed only rarely has a rough shift. We have 42k on ours.
 
Messages
910
Location
MA
Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by edyvw
Old one has Aisin too. 8 speed Aisin in VW unlike in Toyota and Lexus, works good.
The 2 to 1 downshift at low speeds can be rough, think accelerating from 5 MPH if you're approaching a red light that turns green. I'm also getting a really weird shudder at low speeds 5-15 mph. The car just shakes back and forth pretty harshly.
I heard the transmission was a mess according to inter webs in our 2018 Tiguan however the 8 speed only rarely has a rough shift. We have 42k on ours.
Lexus seems to have figured out the 8-speed Aisin as of July 2019 - there was a TSB applied (ECU reprograming) that has really sorted the 8-speed out nicely.
 
Last edited:
Messages
6,665
Location
Scruffy City
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
You know the proper approved oil has a marker so they can tell if it is approved oil correct?
You know the dealership doesn't care? Oil analysis by the OEM/dealer falls into two categories: clear neglect or good to go.
Sure VW made a marker (dye/UV) that is easy to identify a part of the approval requirement because they don't intend to ever investigate if the correct oil is used.... Just like no one would ever ask for a dealer to send a copy of the calibration to ensure it had not been tampered with before approving a warranty claim for a blown up engine/trans/rear end... Oh and the 8-speed at least as used in the Jetta is good to go... its well sorted and shifts appropriately.
 
Last edited:

paoester

Thread starter
Messages
640
Location
Colorado
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
You know the proper approved oil has a marker so they can tell if it is approved oil correct?
If any engine problem happened, as in an internally lubricated part fails or the engine is making a weird noise & it needs warranty work, I'd first do an oil change with the VW 508 stuff before taking it in (tow or drive). That way I can use the cheaper walmart castrol "20k mile" oil and probably never need to do the sleazy switch. Engines don't usually break in 6 years. One in a hundred chance.
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Oh and the 8-speed at least as used in the Jetta is good to go... its well sorted and shifts appropriately.
This AWF8F35 Aisin 8-speed is everywhere. Sometimes there are bad reports which might be due to programming differences. Volvo, Toyota, Lexus, BMW, Mini, Buick, Cadillac, Geely, VW, etc. all use it. Anybody know how low the oil can get before it triggers a Low Level yellow dash warning light? 6 quart sump full, so I would guess it's at 4 quarts. Sound right?
 
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by edyvw
Old one has Aisin too. 8 speed Aisin in VW unlike in Toyota and Lexus, works good.
The 2 to 1 downshift at low speeds can be rough, think accelerating from 5 MPH if you're approaching a red light that turns green. I'm also getting a really weird shudder at low speeds 5-15 mph. The car just shakes back and forth pretty harshly.
Geez. Well, it is that Toyota quality control.
 
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by paoester
Originally Posted by edyvw
[quote=paoester]If I owned that car by some chance, I would use Castrol 0W40.
0w40 is 2300 cSt at -4F, compared to 1460 for 0w20. At -22F, a bad winter morning but it gets there once in a while, 0w40 is 5930 while 0w20 is 3800. Comparing M1 0w40/0w20 using the Widman calculator. On this EA888B engine, VW might be concerned about the oil pump trying to distribute oil over 4000 cSt. I can't think of any other reason why VW warns we must use 0w20.
And you do know that dealerships used 5W40 in those engines instead of 0W20? 0W20 is there ONLY because of ONE reason: MPG!
 

paoester

Thread starter
Messages
640
Location
Colorado
Pick the next oil change (changed at about 9 or 10 thousand miles according to dashboard change light): 1. VW 508 Mobil1 0w20 from SunCoast Porsche for $80 including shipping for 6 quarts 2. VW 508 Castrol 0w20 from ECS Tuning for $70 including shipping 3. Amsoil 0w20 Signature 25,000 mile oil $76 4. M1 Annual Protection 0w20 20,000 mile oil $48 5. Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0W-20 20,000 mile oil $36 And still change at the VW recommended intervals about 10k miles or a year. 6 quarts. #5 is a great deal from the way it looks. Got to be great oil. Maybe the same formula as VW 508 Castrol ???? Warranty risk seems pretty low. I could put in the right oil should a warranty engine claim be made, not likely. I've never had an oil related engine failure in 40 years of driving.
 
Last edited:
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by paoester
Pick the next oil change (changed at about 9 or 10 thousand miles according to dashboard change light): 1. VW 508 Mobil1 0w20 from SunCoast Porsche for $80 including shipping for 6 quarts 2. VW 508 Castrol 0w20 from ECS Tuning for $70 including shipping 3. Amsoil 0w20 Signature 25,000 mile oil $76 4. M1 Annual Protection 0w20 20,000 mile oil $48 5. Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0W-20 20,000 mile oil $36 And still change at the VW recommended intervals about 10k miles or a year. 6 quarts. #5 is a great deal from the way it looks. Got to be great oil. Maybe the same formula as VW 508 Castrol ???? Warranty risk seems pretty low. I could put in the right oil should a warranty engine claim be made, not likely. I've never had an oil related engine failure in 40 years of driving.
Absolutely not! ! and 2 yes, 3,4 and 5, NO!
 

paoester

Thread starter
Messages
640
Location
Colorado
edyvw, you know walmart gold bottles are a different chemical concoction as gold bottle VW 508 castrol? Where did you get this information?
 

paoester

Thread starter
Messages
640
Location
Colorado
There are several reasons to believe Castrol Edge Extended Performance (CEEP) 0w20 (gold) is the same or nearly the same as VW 508 Castrol. 1. Both use Ti. 2. CEEP has Mercedes 229.71, but they don't put it on the bottle or jug(!) 3. Both are good for high miles. 4. Castrol could save money sharing formulas. If you think Mercedes 229.71 has similar performance tests levels as VW 508, then you might think they are the same. [Linked Image] Its all not quite 100% convincing of course. Just raises suspicion.
 
Last edited:
Messages
14,352
Location
Kendall, FL
That's an odd one, EDGE EP doesn't show any MB approvals for any viscosity in the website's PDS.... https://msdspds.castrol.com/msdspds...OpenForm&sitelang=EN&output=Full

Capture.PNG
 
Last edited:

paoester

Thread starter
Messages
640
Location
Colorado
edyvw is right about the formulas not being the same. I still wonder how he thought he knew that. (Evidence please.) Maybe they only differ by base oil slightly though, from these viscometrics off the U.S. and German websites: [Linked Image] Though it's still interesting that walmart Castrol EP "CEEP" is 229.71. That's good news for Mercedes owners looking for a good cheaper source, but VW508 hunters are still left to figure out whether the 229.71 rating is good enough for us. Also, notice the BEVO Mercedes list includes their C5 (Volvo approved) Edge oil, and their SuperCar oil which is actually only labelled as SN GF5 !!! A lot of weirdness, but clues are there.
 
Messages
11,593
Location
Phoenix
Originally Posted by paoester
Pick the next oil change (changed at about 9 or 10 thousand miles according to dashboard change light): 1. VW 508 Mobil1 0w20 from SunCoast Porsche for $80 including shipping for 6 quarts 2. VW 508 Castrol 0w20 from ECS Tuning for $70 including shipping 3. Amsoil 0w20 Signature 25,000 mile oil $76 4. M1 Annual Protection 0w20 20,000 mile oil $48 5. Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0W-20 20,000 mile oil $36 And still change at the VW recommended intervals about 10k miles or a year. 6 quarts. #5 is a great deal from the way it looks. Got to be great oil. Maybe the same formula as VW 508 Castrol ???? Warranty risk seems pretty low. I could put in the right oil should a warranty engine claim be made, not likely. I've never had an oil related engine failure in 40 years of driving.
I'm doing M1 Euro 0w-40 from Costco for $26.99 a case at 10k intervals. Being in Phoenix, the coldest it will see is 40F and that's only for a week or two. oilburner crush
 
Top