'19 Tiguan, my first VW experience

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
My rule number one is never buy a car from a company that will lie to government as a customer that leaves you without a prayer.
And yet you bought a GM vehicle? Oh, the irony...

you stole my thunder

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-just-a-slap-on-the-wrist/?noredirect=on

For hiding a fatal ignition-switch defect tied to at least 174 deaths, General Motors employees will face no criminal charges and the automaker will pay a $900 million fine — less than a third of its $2.8 billion in profit last year.

The settlement with the Department of Justice, announced Thursday, signals a close to the criminal investigation that has long tarnished the car giant. But critics say the automaker got off easy for mishandling one of the worst auto safety crises in history, and years of lying to safety regulators and leaving Americans at risk.

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
you stole my thunder

Some thunder. Unless you have firsthand experience to share about the Tiguan you're taking the thread off topic and wasting bandwidth.

Originally Posted by dishdude
....every time I get in I'm reminded that I'm a cheapskate.... engine is a bit underpowered.... fuel economy is less than impressive and it has more vibration at idle than I'd like....third row seat is a joke...

Good to see you found something that you like
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by dishdude
....every time I get in I'm reminded that I'm a cheapskate.... engine is a bit underpowered.... fuel economy is less than impressive and it has more vibration at idle than I'd like....third row seat is a joke...

Good to see you found something that you like
thumbsup2.gif

LOL! It's not a bad car, just pointing out the pros and cons. Overall it's a comfortable and very practical vehicle.

Did you mean Toyota … funny how that went away but you winners in life can't ever stop about GM …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Did you mean Toyota … funny how that went away but you winners in life can't ever stop about GM …

Toyota cannot do any harm, it was all a simple misunderstanding. If they have a recall, it's just them doing the right thing, but anybody else doing the same thing is just proof that Toyota is love, Toyota is life.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Owning 1st generation Tiaguan, there is now ay I could get new one. Too much Toyota like.

You've lost your mind. The first gen Tiguan wasn't much more than a lifted MK5 with a worse interior.

The new Tiguan is leaps and bounds ahead.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Owning 1st generation Tiaguan, there is now ay I could get new one. Too much Toyota like.

You've lost your mind. The first gen Tiguan wasn't much more than a lifted MK5 with a worse interior.

It is OK vehicle, but it is heavier, not as peppy as an old one. Now if they offered GTI EA888, that would be different story.

My rule number one is never buy a car from a company that will lie to government as a customer that leaves you without a prayer.

You trust big business not to lie ? Or big labor not to lie ?

Do you trust government NOT to lie ?

I do not trust any of the three .

To the OP , hope the car lasts you a very long time and you spend no money on it , other than " normal " maintenance , on it .

Best of luck to you , :-_)

Reactions: pbm
I swore I'd never buy a VW after dieselgate (we had never owned a VW), but we bought our Passat anyway. It's a really nice car that has greatly exceeded our expectations. We got a smoking deal on it. MSRP was $38k+. We got it for $26.5k OTD - the price of a Ford Focus. The catch? It was a 2016 model that we bought in brand new December 2018! Crazy, eh?! So long as it ends up being a good car it might be one of the best automotive purchases I'll ever make.

Enjoy your Tiguan, OP.

Scott

It is OK vehicle, but it is heavier, not as peppy as an old one. Now if they offered GTI EA888, that would be different story.
I know the REAL reason why you don't like it edy, it has an Aisin 8-speed automatic, in your opinion the worst automatic transmission ever produced.

Good comments above. That Aisin seems to be OK. Could be the shift programming software is unique to each application since it is used across many makes & models on the planet. You might think Aisin would provide shift algorithm software "examples" and possibly a toolkit to control it properly. The Buick Regal TourX Aisin 8-speed got some bad reviews at one point.

One thing kind of nice on the Tiguan 4motion is the AWD selector for snow-ice, dry, off road, and "custom" off-road. The custom one allows a driver to select operating parameters for shifting, steering, hill descent, etc. Something to play with.

If you're wondering what Budack does, it's 6% better fuel economy (BSFC difference). Green Car Congress graph from VW tells us.

The Start-Stop disable switch is handy for those who want to skip that. Salesman said a technician knows how to alter a bit in the software to kill it permanently.

Another thread on "bob is the oil cat" says the engine really, really wants 0w20 (& 508) due to the oil pump.
Originally Posted by dedonderosa
VW says the new BUDACK cycle engine's oil pump was specifically designed to run only 0w20 in their tech videos and says running thicker oil in this engine will cause damage. thats coming from from VW mouth
from another thread here. It begs the question, what happens when you start up in -15F weather? Could be VW doesn't want you to use anything other than 0w20 in winter only. Summertime I should be able to run 5w30 synthetic, you'd think, since it would never get as thick as a 0w20 would in winter. Maybe I'm missing something here. Of course the engineers also have to take into account normal viscosity increase due to oxidation of 0w20 leading a rough life or left in too long.

Interesting about the 508 spec and 0w-20 in regards to the oil pump. I was planning to use M1 0w-40 because it's readily available, the 508 stuff is dealer or online only!

About the 508 spec, one would think Castrol Edge extended performance in the gold 5-qt bottle at walmart would work as well as any 508 since it can go 20,000 miles like the top Mobil1 claims too. I got the ECS Tuning online oil change kit for now with OE Castrol (gold bottles by coincidence). Castrol might use the same or very similar formula between their 20,000 mile oil and the OE VW Castrol Professional we can get.

Tiguan's Low Oil Level yellow warning light and sump sensor is nice. It also tracks oil temperature down there way low. I might be able to read it somewhere on the dash or maybe using an OBDII bluetooth with phone app. One should always tuck a pint of oil in a good container in the back in case you're out driving and you see the Low Level warning. Better than oil pressure low thats for sure.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Non-spec oil.

SMH

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For a short change, it's no big deal. It'd probably never be a big deal - Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 is a quality oil.

According to VW Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is "non-spec" for my Atlas. Oh well.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Non-spec oil.

SMH

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For a short change, it's no big deal. It'd probably never be a big deal - Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 is a quality oil.

According to VW Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is "non-spec" for my Atlas. Oh well.

An '18 Atlas uses VW 502, which M1 0w40 is. For 2019, they went to VW 504 which lowered the ash percentage, so they might have a reason for it.

A handy guide to the VW or Audi or Porsche or Mercedes or BMW 0w20 world:

--- Use their spec oil (508, C20, 229.71, LL14) and you typically get 10,000 mile oil changes, whatever each brand engine tells you of course.

--- Use dexos oil to get up to 8,000 miles. Could be the "20,000 Mile" full syn oils on the market could go further, but don't know for sure.

--- Use SN GF5 oil to get up to 6,000 miles.

(All the above are full syn as most 0w20 oils are anyway. Go with the car maker's own oil brands, or big name brands only, to get quality.)

They aren't allowed to tell you all that since the other specs are not theirs. Germans tend not to trust other standards.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
And yet you bought a GM vehicle? Oh, the irony...

crackmeup2.gif

01.gif

Back