When and how have you personally deviated from the car owners manual

My wife’s Volvo.

Manual says Dex3 in the power steering and plain old 5/10w30 engine oil.

The power steering takes Pentosin CHF11s and Ive run an A3/B4 engine oil for about 7 years now as the engine is very hard on oil. I do no yearly OCI’s for this reason.

The manual also said the transmission had a “life fill.”

Oil and OCI to start with. I use either 0W30 or 5W30 in cars calling for 5W20. I totally ignore the OLM and owner's manual and use a mile based OCI based on UOA data. I service the transmission fluid and filter, at 30K miles, vs. 120k miles. Then there's shorter intervals for things like transfer cases and differentials. Wasteful perhaps, but I think the odds are I'm extending the life doing it my way vs. theirs.
27.gif
Maybe if I traded them in every few years I'd think differently. ;)

My owners manual says 5w20/0w20 for obvious fuel economy reasons. I have ran M1 10w40HM, EDGE 0w40, Maxlife 5w, 10w30 and some Harvest King 10w30 HDEO and 5w40 HDEO without any ill affects

I'm running 5w30 in my Taurus that calls for 5W20, and now I'm running 5W40 Euro and 0W30 Euro in the winter for my 6.0 Chevy. I changed over from 5W30 when the engine had 200,000 miles. Surely a slightly more viscous oil would do well in an engine with that many miles. It has over 220,000 miles now. Knock wood. As for the Chevy LS engines specifying 0W20, I think I would leave that alone as the engine was redesigned in 2014 because of problems with the variable displacement valve train components. Still waiting to hear from folks with this new system who have used 0W20 for seven years. How's it going out there?

My up a weight? Sure? Down? I'd never. But if it worked for you then good stuff.
Yes, I was just curious as to what type of change it would make. Not sure if it being AMSOIL and their Signature Series and not just a brand off Walmart shelf that made the difference but my Silverado didn't seem to mind the thinner grade. I didn't see any difference in mpg either.

I use Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 in my 2020 Chevy Equinox that calls for 0W-20. I do it because it has HTHS of 3.5 that provides greater wear protection.
I asked Rat407 because he uses 0w20 instead of 5w30. You're using a higher viscosity oil so the question doesn't apply to you.

I use Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 in my 2020 Chevy Equinox that calls for 0W-20. I do it because it has HTHS of 3.5 that provides greater wear protection.
I'd like to do this too, but I have to keep a short interval because of dilution and ESP is expensive.

I run 5W-30 in my 2011 Tundra even though the Toyota lists 5W-20 and 0W-20. In all fairness though, the owners manual does state a higher viscosity oil may be better suited depending on driving conditions but it doesn't specify what.

Reactions: WDB
Using premium non-approved oil in a car under warranty. Disregarding oil change intervals and recommended tire pressure(s).

@SR5 i didn't know the Astra was also sold with the Holden badge!

Here we have the Chevrolet Astra 1.8 or 2.0L. What type of engine is the 1.8 that you have?

The owners manual of the 1.8L indicates to use a 5W30 API SL, which includes ILSAC oils:

Sem título.jpg

I have the older brother Kadett, and i am using 15W40 CI/E7/SL against the 20W40 or 20W50 which the owners manual recommends.

Also, on the Honda FIT, the owners manual state to "only use mineral 10W30 genuine Honda oil". And a couple of years back they simply decided not to make the 10W30 anymore, and that a 0W20 could be used instead. That was when i decided to just use the 5W30's on my sig.

I’ve never had a vehicle new enough to have a warranty so I’ve never really done anything an owners manual says other than capacities.

@LeoStrop
I have a 2006 Opel Astra badged as a Holden, it's the H series with the 1.8L DOHC Z18XE Ecotec engine

The owners manual says to use 10W30 or 15W40 in ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4, no mention of API. It also says to change the oil every 15,000 km (9,300 miles) but I usually change it around 10,000 km (6,200 miles).

When I check the netlube guides for Castrol, Valvoline etc in Australia, previously they directed me to a heavy mineral oil like GTX 15W40 SN/CF & A3/B3, but now they are also listing lighter synthetic 5W30 Dexos1 oils as an option for my car. I'm sure both will work fine.

Back