Whats your opinion on people who work everyday?

Wife and I both started working early while in school. Her at 15 and me at 13. My dad was very successful and I didn’t start working because of any lacking for anything. I started working because I wanted my own money and a sense of accomplishment. Wife and I married at 18 and will have been together for 50 years this October. I worked for a man who was a multi millionaire and every paycheck he would tell me to invest in myself. Every paycheck I put the maximum amount in my 401 and lived entirely within our means. I worked a lot of 100 hour weeks but I had a mission. Retired at 62 with zero debt and have enjoyed every day of being retired. We’re not rich by any means but we do exactly what we want when we want. We eat way better than we did when we worked and feel better too.

But the one thing my parents drilled into me was good work ethic. If I had a job I didn’t like, I’d find one that I did. But I never gave less than 100% regardless of how crappy it turned out. The only time I was out sick was when they made me go home until I got better.

I never begrudge the CEO or the owner of any company that I worked for for making more money than me. Their salary was never a concern as long as they paid me the rate we agreed on when I went to work for them. They took care of me and I did what was expected of me and some that wasn’t.

@JeffKeryk

You guys are talking about my wife.
Came here 40 years ago fresh out of college in the Philippines, her entire family stayed in the Philippines.

Stayed in a Catholic dorm located in Manhattan .
She was 20 years old when she landed a job in Manhattan, which ultimately led to her becoming the operations manager.

She married, had a baby, when their child turned four years old, her husband abandoned both of them and left behind a mountain of debt unknown to her at the time.
She was clueless how much debt and woke up to a note one morning left on the kitchen table.

She kept going all through this total hell (and don’t use that word loosely)as she describes it, took charge cleared up all the debt while taking care of a four year-old girl, ultimately purchased her own home on Long Island, no child support and no help buying the home. Her family and life was devoted to her daughter.

Three years later, we met and began our journey as a family. We don’t refer to her daughter as my step daughter she is my daughter as my own children from my first marriage are. She knows I’m there for her and now as a young adult/successful business person and very proud of her.

Just for the record ultimately she has always stayed in touch with many friends from high school and college. It blows me away how accomplished and successful they are. I could name some names you would even recognize a company here in the United States with that person is a CEO

OK, so she’s sitting next to me as I put this in here, for her personally and we laugh as we say it she’s a 5 day work person!!! 🙃

However, when the chips are down as proven to keep things together for her young daughter. She’s a can-do person and will not cave to pressure.
Beautiful story @alarmguy. I have learned so much from my Filipino friends, and we've had a lotta laughs. I asked them to teach me some Tagalog. I have one dear friend; she lives in Danville, which is next to Blackhawk. If you've never heard of Blackhawk that's because you can't afford it. She drives a Corvette Z06. Kristine started with very little.

I work in a high stress industry. You could work 24/7, and there would still be more work to do. If you don’t “walk away” at the end of the day at quitting time you can find yourself never leaving. Many of the people who are workaholics work nearly all day and everyday. Even though they “climbed the ladder” most if not all are divorced because their wives left them years ago and have no relationship with their kids. Sad life.

I’m up at 5:00a everyday, at work by 6:30a and leave at 4:00p. I’m home by 5:00p to spend time with my family. Have a few hours to clean up, do chores, have dinner, put kids to bed and maybe an hour of leisure before bed. But I don’t work on the weekends (I rarely do). When I was younger and single I put in my hours so to speak. When I got married and started having kids my priorities changed. This in some way “limits” my potential as an employee, but I couldn’t care less. Life is more than working and climbing the ladder.

regarding the Phillipines, I was there in 2012 visiting an orphanage. And there’s not really any reason to compare humans to animals, but, what I saw, made me think of those commercials where the thr SPCA is showing dogs and cats suffering and asking how much can you give a money, we suggest $19.

Then we went back to our condo where there was a Lamborghini and Audi dealers. Back then? Things cost more in USD than here at home. 2024? Fuggediboudit. A condo is $400k USD, would have been 100k 12 years ago. It’s truly a tale of haves and have nots.

But nobody can work for a corporation, and afford what we can in the USA, over there. The rich own businesses. Yeah, I got all this by being there twice 😂

My mantra has always been work SMARTER not harder. Also avoid consumer debt(it’s a TRAP!).

I worked hard in high school with immigrant parent pushing me. I have not worked more the. 35-40 hrs my entire Tech career and been able to support family, have a reasonable retirement and no current debt to my name.

I don’t worry about how long I will live, I care more about how I live my life.

I found my passion early in life and never felt” work “ was “ work “.

That said, even though I love my job ( which paid extremely low for many years ) , I do my best to try to work as little as possible by staying senior on a smaller aircraft that pays a lot less than bigger ones.

I put my family ( and disabled brother ) first.

Last edited:
I work in a high stress industry. You could work 24/7, and there would still be more work to do. If you don’t “walk away” at the end of the day at quitting time you can find yourself never leaving. Many of the people who are workaholics work nearly all day and everyday. Even though they “climbed the ladder” most if not all are divorced because their wives left them years ago and have no relationship with their kids. Sad life.

I’m up at 5:00a everyday, at work by 6:30a and leave at 4:00p. I’m home by 5:00p to spend time with my family. Have a few hours to clean up, do chores, have dinner, put kids to bed and maybe an hour of leisure before bed. But I don’t work on the weekends (I rarely do). When I was younger and single I put in my hours so to speak. When I got married and started having kids my priorities changed. This in some way “limits” my potential as an employee, but I couldn’t care less. Life is more than working and climbing the ladder.
Amen!

Sounds like all the ones who wound up divorced didn’t marry the right person. For about half of wife and myselfs 50 years of marriage, she worked days and I worked nights. Sounds like those other people were just looking for an excuse. But that’s the way things are now days. Don’t try to fix anything, just move on.

I’m not going to be on my deathbed wishing I had worked more. Work is about paying the bills. Nothing more. We live well within our means. We invest for retirement. And we invest in our kids future. But make no mistake I am going to enjoy my money and my life while I can. I don’t hate my career. I quite like it actually. However work doesn't fulfill me. And money doesn’t fulfill me. It’s just a means to an end.

90% of all Americans really don’t like their job and feel burned out.

Regardless of how you feel if you work like the Dunkin Donuts guy and you’ll do good in the long run.

I wake up at 4:30 M-F and feel like Fred 99% of the time.

I worked 362 days last year and 364 the year before. I don't need to, but sometimes it helps keep a wandering mind at bay....

MIL was grumbling about how "nobody wants to work anymore" and I retorted that I didn't want to work anymore either. Had my fun, now I have plans for retirement. Won't retire for another 20 years but I have my plans.

Thing is, the first 13 years of working, I never thought about retirement. Not one moment. Then realized I might want to retire some day, made changes. Was fine until the pandemic, then WFH and burnout, and now all I can do is fantasize about being retired. Or berate myself for not saving more when I was younger.

MIL was grumbling about how "nobody wants to work anymore" and I retorted that I didn't want to work anymore either. Had my fun, now I have plans for retirement. Won't retire for another 20 years but I have my plans.

Thing is, the first 13 years of working, I never thought about retirement. Not one moment. Then realized I might want to retire some day, made changes. Was fine until the pandemic, then WFH and burnout, and now all I can do is fantasize about being retired. Or berate myself for not saving more when I was younger.
Nailed it.

WFH DROVE me to retirement Odd that!

I don’t want to work either. LOL.

Someone hands me $10M tax free and you’ll never see me again. 👀

I’m not going to be on my deathbed wishing I had worked more. Work is about paying the bills. Nothing more. We live well within our means. We invest for retirement. And we invest in our kids future. But make no mistake I am going to enjoy my money and my life while I can. I don’t hate my career. I quite like it actually. However work doesn't fulfill me. And money doesn’t fulfill me. It’s just a means to an end.
Exactly how I feel about it.

I see your point, and it's a good one. In my case, after many rough years, then going to work clean, working in an AC office playing with computers and sitting in meetings and then leaving clean on time turned out to be such a piece of cake. And there's a lot more money involved as well.

I am retired now. Every day is Saturday without the traffic. Your retirement planning is a smart move, lemme tell ya.

Last edited:
Back