What's The Cheapest Steak You'd Eat

This thread reminds me of the running gag about the ‘Hungry Heifer’ restaurant on Cheers. This was, we all thought, a jab at the Hilltop Steakhouse - prominent on Rt. 1 north of Boston in Saugus. Anyone who lived in/around Boston at any time since Eisenhower was president will remember it.

Now gone, but a nostalgic nod to the ole’ Hilltop:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilltop_Steak_House

I'll cook up a London Broil as a steak, medium.
We do this all the time. I use some Adolph’s meat tenderizer, some salt and pepper, sometimes other seasoning like Pall Prudhomme’s blackened redfish magic seasoning. Cook it to medium rare in the grill and slice it thin. It’s lean, tasty, and much lower cost, with no waste unlike a ribeye or fattier cut.

There is no lower limit. No matter how low, put it in a crock pot or other slow cooker and after a few hours, it's like butter... You just need to know what meal to use it in. I do mean muscle meat, don't get into other various parts pieces tongue brain etc whatever though I can be coaxed into eating liver a few times a year if enough mushroom gravy and roasted onions are included.

However, I do sometimes do "chopped steak", which is when you take about 1/3 lb, ground hamburger/etc, and in this case, the higher fat (cheaper) ground beef is better for once, and I have a piece of pvc sewage pipe (was not used for that purpose, lol), and I pack the ground beef into it very densely, about a 1.5" tall cylinder cut of that PVC pipe to form the patty, very dense (very dense being important), and grill that. I add whatever flavors I want, though for the consumption of other people, I usually only add some garlic powder and then let people decide what else they want if anything.

As long as you only cook it to medium rare, it's very good. Medium or more, not as much. That's just me, before it gets to medium it has a steak taste, after that it just tastes like a hamburger patty.

Adventurous cooks will massage in onion or peppers, whatever, but if you add too much high water content additives, then you will need either a grain to absorb it or some egg added to keep it together. It's not necessarily a meatloaf, rather a science experiment but it always tastes good when you add what you want, specific to your tastes.

I realize the topic intent was steak cooked whole, just saying there are more ways to cook a piece of meat, ignore my reply if it doesn't suit your needs. A whole piece of HQ meat, I want to cook out on the grill but in winter, I can make trade offs.

Last edited:
Does chicken fried steak count?
No - this is closer:

IMG_2780.jpeg

You have “ prime” rates need which only 2 percent of beef is graded that.

Top Choice grade A like most Angis beef is rated…

Choice Grade A which CAN be very good… Look at the meat.. I have seen this level of beef be much more like Grade A too choice if you look at the marbling…

Then Select … Which means … it’s safe to eat… But may need a fair amount of help to be good.

My picture of that uncooked bone in ribeye was the Choice Grade A from Harris Teeter… But the marbling looked a lot better than that. Much more like Top Choice Grade A in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpeg
    IMG_0407.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0394.jpeg
    IMG_0394.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 12
Couldn’t tell by the darn picture very well…

I’m not really into that. . Because left up to me… Give me a sharp knife and I’m cutting steaks out of that.
Best I ever had was at a Catholic wedding when the KC hall boys cooked ‘em on the brick n steel pits using real 🪵 smoke …

Give it a shot sometime bud. ;)
I did just that tonight. I asked my wife to prepare her Greek dressing sans le fromage. Marinated a thick cut frenched veal chop for 24 hours and grilled it tonight medium rare; it was awesome! I don't enjoy veal chops due to them being lean and tasteless, so I figured, let me give it a shot; it was outstanding. Thank you for this tip! Should have snapped a pic, but I couldn't put my fork and knife down. :ROFLMAO:
You get the idea (stock photo):
The-BEST-Grilled-Veal-Chops-on-a-wooden-cutting-board.-Grill-inside-or-out.jpg

I only eat about 2 or 3 different types with flat iron steak probably be in the lowest quality and Kansas City strip or filet mignon. I like the beef that is massaged cow but I forget what it's called. I used to buy 10 or 15 flat iron steaks every couple of weeks and throw them in the freezer. most of the meals that you see that I upload the meat that we use to cook everything is usually from flat iron steak. I like it on fajitas and I've used it in a roast. and now that longhorn doesn't have flat iron anymore I buy them more often.

Attachments

• 20231201_163440.jpg
    20231201_163440.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 5
My wife trims it and stews it in a pan with tomato, onion, and bell peppers if available and I eat it with homemade beans and flour tortillas. Cheap cuts of beef or pork are best for that. I don't bother grilling it and other tough cuts anymore. You can trim and use something to soften it but I don't find it worth the effort.

Back