NY Strip Steak

I love strip steaks and ribeyes and T-Bones as long as it’s not sirloin I’ll eat it, sirloin is always too tough. Nice and medium rare is how I eat it sometimes rare.

Can't even google a longhorn steak, I'd have it shipped, at one time very popular I thought...Wagyu Jap, heard great reviews never ate either.

Ribeye tends to be the most flavorful because it's well marbled with fat.

New York strip comes either boneless or surrounded on two sides by sawed bone.. I don't like my steaks too thick, and when I get a thick cut I will trim out the bone (for soup) and then slice it into half thickness. NY strip isn't that tender, but it's got good flavor. As others said, it's not as tough as sirloin. Parts of it end up in other cuts if they're not separated.

This is from Omaha Steaks:

supplementary-image-strip.jpg

Ya, Longhorn Steer, like back in the day of cattle drives..was the eating breed of choice..

That first pic was a freak rack

Last edited:
I've eaten many a N.Y.Strip never saw one on a bone.

There little bone. Looks like this:

B-dry-aged-ny-strip.png

The claim is that leaving the bone in will allow less escape of moisture, but it's harder to cook since it doesn't cook as quickly near the bone. There will also be a little bit of tendon on the opposite side within the fat.

I also like a nice usda prime fillet, but at 29.99/lb that is special occasion only.
butchers shop didnt tare the steak right and it was a over a buck off!!!
charged me 30/lb for plastic wrap and tray..
I was a little irritated more so the fact that most people wouldnt catch it.
He weighed it, took it off wrapped it then weighed it and put label on. with 0 tare.
and the reaction I got when I asked them to properly tare the steak.
they were heavy with the wrap it was .05
if it was 2.29 sale hamburger who cares I guess.

If you want something different, try hanger steak. Also known as butcher's cut. It's actually part of the diaphragm. Great cut of meat. Before you cook the strip, let it reach room temp, 1-1.5 hrs. Usually only takes 3-4 minutes per side for medium. Letting it get to room temp will make it much easier to hit a desired doneness. Unless of course you want to sous vide.

A little pricey, but La Boca on Tchopitoulas has a perfect hanger steak if you ever make it up there.

Can't even google a longhorn steak, I'd have it shipped, at one time very popular I thought...Wagyu Jap, heard great reviews never ate either.
Marbled is an understatement. The real Japanese stuff is ridiculously priced, like $2-300/steak. There are alternatives that are almost as good for only $60-70/steak.

Attachments

• 9BF2B7FC-1754-4146-8CD8-47E760E094B9.jpeg
    9BF2B7FC-1754-4146-8CD8-47E760E094B9.jpeg
    987 KB · Views: 5
This thread is killing me … little place here makes a big ribeye, big baked spud, and nice salad for $15
Going to wind up there soon !

Marbled is an understatement. The real Japanese stuff is ridiculously priced, like $2-300/steak. There are alternatives that are almost as good for only $60-70/steak.
Well it depends where you buy it. Costco also sells it online, around $75 a pound but they have more expensive stuff and cheaper stuff too. They also carry Prime in the meat section. You normally never find regular grocery stores that carry Prime.

There little bone. Looks like this:

The claim is that leaving the bone in will allow less escape of moisture, but it's harder to cook since it doesn't cook as quickly near the bone. There will also be a little bit of tendon on the opposite side within the fat.
yeah … I’d rather flame kiss that side … my daughter prefers those … agree with folks on the ribeye

Back