NY Strip Steak

While at Albertsons this morning, waiting on my pain management prescriptions to be filled, I rode around the store on my electric cart checking out their outrageous high grocery prices. I rode to the meat section and they had NY Strip steak on sale for $3.97 a lb. Regular price was $9.99 a lb. I have never eaten it before but it sure looked good. The butcher was placing just cut packages out and I decided to splurge and buy a package. 4-1" thick nice looking steaks for almost $15.
What cut of meat in the cow can this meat be compared to? Is it a tender cut like a ribeye steak? I'm going to marinade one tonight for the grill tomorrow and the rest will go in the freezer.

I'm guessing you know what a t-bone steak is. The larger side of a t-bone is the NY strip, while the smaller, more tender side is the filet mignon.

A1vM6EBrg2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm guessing you know what a t-bone steak is. The larger side of a t-bone is the NY strip, while the smaller, more tender side is the filet mignon.

This!!

My suggestion....

Marinate the steak in a pyrex type dish or bowl for a few hours with fresh ground pepper Himalayan salt garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Cast iron preheat to about 400F. drop some butter in the pan. Sear steak for about 4 to 5 minutes then flip. Add more butter and fresh sprig of thyme. Spoon melted butter up on the seared side and check temp with thermometer. Take off when a few degrees below the desired temp. Let rest for 15 min AT LEAST!! Then slice. \

As said previously, the NY Strip is part of the T Bone. Cooked correctly it is a great piece of meat. BUT do NOT overcook. It does not have the marbling of a ribeye (my favorite). The line between oh my this is awesome and it's a little over cooked is minimal.

Can also be cooked in stainless but I find seasoned cast iron the bomb for steaks like this.

This!!

My suggestion....

Marinate the steak in a pyrex type dish or bowl for a few hours with fresh ground pepper Himalayan salt garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Cast iron preheat to about 400F. drop some butter in the pan. Sear steak for about 4 to 5 minutes then flip. Add more butter and fresh sprig of thyme. Spoon melted butter up on the seared side and check temp with thermometer. Take off when a few degrees below the desired temp. Let rest for 15 min AT LEAST!! Then slice. \

As said previously, the NY Strip is part of the T Bone. Cooked correctly it is a great piece of meat. BUT do NOT overcook. It does not have the marbling of a ribeye (my favorite). The line between oh my this is awesome and it's a little over cooked is minimal.

Can also be cooked in stainless but I find seasoned cast iron the bomb for steaks like this.
Thank you Sir.
I have a marinade recipe I have been using for decades. It includes Worcestershire and Teriyaki sauce, along with other added items.

Some times Porterhouse is cheaper, and it's supposed to have a bigger filet than t-bone. Either one is very good.

Where can that special steak butter restaurants use, be bought? Or, is there a recipe for it?

Make it! Fresh herbs and real butter is better than the powder mix.

And NO WAY Teriyaki on fresh steak. Save that for a rougher meat or a meat past it's freshness.

call me unmanly but I like the porterhouse.. just find me a nice big one that looks like the state of ohio and I'm good.

fillet on one side, strip on the other.

meijer's runs porterhouse 6.97/lb alot.
fillet is usually 20$-$24/lb

you could literally buy a porterhouse throw out everything but the fillet side and it would be same cost..... and I dont throw out steak :)

Back