NY Strip Steak

Take a look at this picture, if you seen these two steaks in the store which one would you buy?
A small group of us would eat at a spot in the EU where you would walk up to the glass faced coolers and pick your steak. “Fresh” cut in the left case … “Aged” in the right case. I’d typically get a fresh cut ribeye (all meat aged some) … and the others got aged. Finally one asked me why? Said you guys are eating yellow tag steaks for 20% more when back home it’s 20% less, LoL

I don’t know I’ve never seen aged meat so possibly
Yes the steak on the left has been dry aged and will me more flavorful and tender. It takes several weeks to age a steak but don't try it at home unless you have a dedicated refrigerator. It should be on a wire rack so air can circulate over it. The reason it won't work in your kitchen firdge is the meat will absorb odors form other foods and ruin it. If you get a chance to try one I highly suggest it.

Yes the steak on the left has been dry aged and will me more flavorful and tender. It takes several weeks to age a steak but don't try it at home unless you have a dedicated refrigerator. It should be on a wire rack so air can circulate over it. The reason it won't work in your kitchen firdge is the meat will absorb odors form other foods and ruin it. If you get a chance to try one I highly suggest it.
Thanks will do. Usually when I get steaks I can’t wait to eat them LOL

A small group of us would eat at a spot in the EU where you would walk up to the glass faced coolers and pick your steak. “Fresh” cut in the left case … “Aged” in the right case. I’d typically get a fresh cut ribeye (all meat aged some) … and the others got aged. Finally one asked me why? Said you guys are eating yellow tag steaks for 20% more when back home it’s 20% less, LoL

Right now I'm watching "Ugly Delicious" on Netflix. It's the show hosted by David Chang of Momofuku. I skipped around and this is the earlier episode on steak. They go to various places with different hosts, but I think one place is in Spain where the chef raises all the cattle himself and prefers older cattle. He explained that the steak that they were eating came from a six year old bull - what most in the US would consider to tough. But then it was dry aged for 180 days, and the guy said it was amazing and not what he would have considered tough.

All the best steakhouses around here dry age their beef. House of Prime Rib in San Francisco is well known for aging their beef in the back.

Reactions: 4WD
All beef is aged while hanging in a meat cooler before it is cut, it is not aged after it is cut. If you ever tasted beef which was not aged, you probably wouldn't like it.
You're are correct, you don't age individual cuts, they would dry up to a sliver. They way my dad aged steaks was placing the whole loin or rib on a wire rack.

Where would you get one that’s not already cut into the actual steaks?
If you have an actual butcher shop you could probably get one but now a days finding a actual butcher isn't easy, everything comes in all ready broke down. I worked cleaning up after my dad all through high school, watching him start with a quarter of beef and break it down was truly art.

If you have an actual butcher shop you could probably get one but now a days finding a actual butcher isn't easy, everything comes in all ready broke down. I worked cleaning up after my dad all through high school, watching him start with a quarter of beef and break it down was truly art.

They actually have butchers onsite at most supermarkets. Costcos have their own butchers. Some have that in a backroom, but it's still somewhat common to see bandsaws and other butcher equipment behind the counter or sometimes behind glass. I don't know if it would be possible to ask for an uncut piece of meat. I certainly wouldn't want to try and cut my own bone-in steak.

I remember a button to push at a supermarket. If one had a special request, it could be done. It might be taking a packaged piece and then cutting it into smaller pieces. Maybe cut thinner steaks. However, they'd usually charge whatever the original price was, even though cutting would often just remove a lot of the original meat/bone.

They actually have butchers onsite at most supermarkets. Costcos have their own butchers. Some have that in a backroom, but it's still somewhat common to see bandsaws and other butcher equipment behind the counter or sometimes behind glass. I don't know if it would be possible to ask for an uncut piece of meat. I certainly wouldn't want to try and cut my own bone-in steak.

I remember a button to push at a supermarket. If one had a special request, it could be done. It might be taking a packaged piece and then cutting it into smaller pieces. Maybe cut thinner steaks. However, they'd usually charge whatever the original price was, even though cutting would often just remove a lot of the original meat/bone.
That's actually good to hear, out of the four grocery stores we have here only one still has butchers where you can watch them and they do take special requests. Last year for xmas day I fixed a rib roast but there was only three of us so ordered a smaller one. I've also had them cut me smaller prime ribs.

That's actually good to hear, out of the four grocery stores we have here only one still has butchers where you can watch them and they do take special requests. Last year for xmas day I fixed a rib roast but there was only three of us so ordered a smaller one. I've also had them cut me smaller prime ribs.

I don't know if they necessarily take special requests at all the locations. I've seen butcher putting out the meat before, and they were all wearing rubber aprons. Some of the larger supermarket locations have actual meat counters, but usually in addition to the prepackaged meat. I do go to a smaller one around here where there is no meat counter, although I've seen the butcher come out and talk to customers before.

One of the (2) small stores in my village has a butcher shop. He has the glass case and puts sawdust on the floor as well. People come from other Parishes just to buy the meat.

I have NY strip steaks often. I like a ribeye or a fried slice of prime rib better but my health takes priority. I pretty much like all meat. Give me meat! I have been cutting down on red meat. The name of the game is mostly chicken and fish. Red meat once or twice a week.

Back