What's the best all-around carry handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this question is subjective; lots to
consider, weight, concealability, power, cost,
ergonomics, etc.

A good 'old school' handgun that I like is the
Colt 380 Govt model, but there's lots of more
modern handguns out there now, Kel-Tec, the new
Ruger 380?
What about a small light-weight 9mm....?

I always owned auto's and I loved .380's but 9mm's are pretty much the same size as .380's these days.

Right now I am on a revolver kick, so I would say a small framed .38+P or .357 snub.

Al Capone once said: "You can get further with a smile & and a gun than you can get with a smile alone"....that being a given, you can have ALL of the 22's 25's 32's & 380's and yes, you can kill someone deader than the proverbial doorknob with any of them, but the fact remains, that with the types of drugs on the street today that inhibit both fear AND pain reaction, the person you shoot with any of these will most likely die.....after he kills you. They simply do not do enough damage.

Most of the Ultra-lite 357's are largely worthless, not enough barrel to burn the powder and too much recoil to control. The same is pretty much true with 38+p from a snub, too much slow-burning powder and not enough barrel. I have seen 2 cases where folks firing the full-house 125 gr 357 load from a 10 oz revolver have broken bones in their hands.

I have carried a S&W Airweight 38 since the 60's and was in Law Enforcement (as a backup) and used either 110 gr or 125 gr loads (non +P) with the rationale that 5 controlled center-mass hits are better than a peripheral hit and 4 misses. I carry a S&W 642 with the Federal 110 gr reduced recoil loads or the new Hornady 125 gr when I can get them. This is my "light" gun. I prefer a full sized M1911 as a "serious" gun, however they are a bit too heavy for daily carry. I also have a Glock M23 in 40 S&W, most law enforcement journals have documented the 40 S&W as having essentially the same index of incapacitation as the 45, 13 rounds instead of 7 and less recoil to boot. I have shot the Kahr pistols in both 9 & 40 and they do well and are well made.

So, my choices: a hammerless 38 snub with controllable loads
(prefer the 642 S&W)the Glock 23 or the Kahr P-9/P-40. I would consider 38 Spl or 9mm to be the MINIMUM in today's world.

Cheers,
Phil
Retired Law Enforcement
Glock & Sig Armourer
35 yrs Professional Gunsmith

I would go with my Colt Combat Commander (stainless). With .45 ACP power, and a very thin profile since it's a single-stack, it fits the bill for me. I'm a 1911 fanatic though, so I'm admittedly biased. My favorite 9mm would be my HK USP Compact. Unfortunately, I live in a state that doesn't allow concealed carry. That might change soon, though.

39.gif

I've gotta agree with the Glock or SW 40 cal. although I do have a .380 that is um.... very low profile.
Of course, Dirty Harry would want a SW revolver with a long barrel!

I've carried my little Glock 39 (.45 GAP) for several years now in a High Noon IWB holster. Worn in the center of the back, it's very comfortable & concealable. Shorts and t-shirt; no problem. Put the little spare mag in the fifth pocket and forget about it.
Before that I had a little Beretta Tomcat (.32 ACP) I used to carry around, but never felt truly confident with those tiny bullets.
Along with what Miata04 said, I'd go with the biggest caliber you feel comfortable with and can handle accurately. Like Pirelli says, "power is nothing without control."

"Best" has too many variables for any one of us to make a clear case for all uses and conditions. Not unlike the concept of what's the "best" oil, toothpaste, audio speaker, cell-phone plan, etc.

I don't believe there is any one "perfect" item that fits all situations. You must choose based upon your perception of what's probable and/or possible.

Conceptunally, the "best" carry gun is the one that you can shoot with a high degree of accuracy, and still put the largest, fastest round down-range, without over-penetrating the target, and have the weapon concealable for carry. That is a fairly concise description of the "best"; it's firearm uptopia, if you will. Unfortunatly, it's also often impossible to attain because of all the variability in each individual scenario. Some are human factors; others are environmental. So you compromise with what meets the largest probability, while minimalizing the other undesired possibilities.

Consider:
How well can one shoot a given weapon/caliber?
What kind of environmental conditions (weather, light/dark, rain, etc)?
What kind of physical barriers between you and the target (clothing, doors, media, etc)?
What type of target?
ETC, ETC, ETC ...

One of the most difficult decisions to make is how to deal with winter, should you be in a region where that season presents it's challenges.
Example: You must select a weapon/ammo that can perform to the stated criteria against a 30 year old, 280 lb threat dressed for 5 deg F temps (heavy coats and shirts) because you're walking back to your car after a sports game on a Friday night, and yet not have that weapon/ammo over-perform when you walk into a resturaunt 15 minutes later and meet a completely different 19 year old, 135 lb threat wearing only a tee-shirt. It's not likley you'll stop to change out ammo or weapons; you're looking for the combination that will provide its value for the greatest amount of presentations, with the least amount of potential risks.

My peronal favorite? Glk 29 loaded with CorBon; nothin' says "cessation" like a 10mm with around 600 or 700 ft-lb of energy (ammo choice dependent), when you can consistently put it where it belongs (center mass), and know that it won't over-penetrate. This combination works for me; I'm large enough to conceal/handle the weapon, and have it succeed in a great many circumstances, with the least risk of failure, including acknowledgement of civil risks thereafter. But that only applies to me. Look at my wife (small, demure) and a .380 is "best" for her.

You have to determine what "best" fits those same criteria for your blend of situations. For some people, it's a .45ACP; others like the .38 in +p; others perfer the 9mm.

There is no "best" for all people, nor all situations. There are "better" choices for individuals when presented with the most likely situations.

It seems to me that you understand these criteria, because you acknowledge the subjective nature and challenges in your post. So, it's up to YOU to decide what's "best" for you, not us.

Last edited:
I carry a 1998 Kahr K40 Elite stainless steel.

After carrying several weapons from full-size auto to snub-nose revolver, my preference is a single stack auto in .40 for its stopping power and comfort since I carry IWB.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses guys. Lots of
good info and opinions here. True, there's
no universally 'best' handgun or else there'd
be only one manufacturer....

I'm having second thoughts about my Colt 380,
even with the 3 1/4" barrel and HydraShock
ammo it may not have enough punch for many
situations.

Our home protectors are Mr Smith and Mr Wesson
in 9mm (all stainless) and it weighs a ton; too
heavy to lug around all day, and too large to
easily conceal.

What about another 9mm that's compact, single stack,
and lightweight.....?

Good you are having second thoughts on the 380, the 380 is a "neither-nor" cartridge, ie: it has neither the bullet weight for penetration nor the velocity for good expansion. In addition, lets say the 95 gr Hydra-Shock DID expand, the expansion, combined with low bullet weight/inertia because of the rather low velocity (900 fps max from a 3" bbl) would yeild a very shallow wound channel.

Another 9mm thats compact, single stack and lightweight

Try the Kahr PM-9, tiny, shoots the full 9mm load. has a very short barrel though, which will limit the velocity somewhat. I'd try the Federal Reduced Recoil Personal Defense 135 Gr Hydra shock load, you will get some expansion and the 135 gr weight will penetrate a bit better than the lighter loads. If nothing else, the FBI tests several years ago proved one thing: penetration is what works to cause the most damage, 12-15" is ideal, temporary wound channel is not important. You have to "get into the clockworks" to stop the clock. The PM-9 is smaller than most 380's. BTW the Colt 380's (government, Pony, etc) are mostly castings and have proven to be not entirely reliable due to parts breakage, make sure that your pistol has had the spring clip modification to secure the mainspring from movement, there was a factory bulletin on this.

You might look at the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm, my brother recently bought one and I am liking it very much, in fact I am seriously considering buying one to replace my current carry gun.

Originally Posted By: TheLoneRanger
I realize this question is subjective; lots to
consider, weight, concealability, power, cost,
ergonomics, etc.

A good 'old school' handgun that I like is the
Colt 380 Govt model, but there's lots of more
modern handguns out there now, Kel-Tec, the new
Ruger 380?
What about a small light-weight 9mm....?

TheLoneRanger,

Looks like you lean towards the 380ACP. I'd rather use a 38 special myself cuz right now the 380ACP is expensive and using the 38 special has more of a variety of different loads and different shapes of hollowpoints. Either case any gun is better than none at all.

Durango

My wife picked out one of these the other evening:

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=37&productid=149

with the Sig Lite night sights.

It has almost the barrel length of my full size H&K USP .45, but is much slimmer since it is only a single stack mag. It has a very good heft and balance in the hand.

It seems like it would be a very nice carry gun, but we do not carry.

As far as .380's go, I like the Bersa Thunder 380 series. We have a couple and they would make a nice carry or pocket gun. They come either single stack or double stack.

The .380ACP is what it is, but I would not want to be shot with one (or anything for that matter).

Any handgun that you can shoot well and is easy to carry. A double stack 45 would be the best but then an AK would be way better.

If your Colt .380 is reliable and accurate, then stick with it. You may want to just carry FMJ ammo for better penetration, but then again, the HydraShoks may not expand anyway, you just never know. A good holster and belt goes a long way in carrying a full size handgun and would make your S&W 9mms a lot more tolerable to carry either outside or inside the waistband and the more you carry them the less they will "seem" to weigh as you get use to it. Having said that, my Glock 26 has spoiled me since it is easy to carry, easy to maintain, and accurate to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back