First Conceal Carry Handgun?

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Originally Posted by thastinger
I would strongly recommend the glock 26 over the 43 if you're leaning toward a glock. Since you say you might not be totally comfortable with pistols yet, you might want a handgun with an external safety, if so the glocks aren't for you yet.

The 43 is a little taller than the 26 but the 26 is a little wider than the 43. Personally, the double stacks fit my hands better and you can conceal a 26 everywhere you can conceal a 43...plus you get 4 more rounds and the ability to accept all the large cap glock double stack mags.

Strongly disagree. 43x has reliable aftermarket FLUSH fitting 15 round magazines. Glock 26 relies on EXTENSIONS added to the magazine. These often make it similar in size to a Glock 19. I've carried the 26 for years and 27 at work on desk duty. 43x much less a footprint.

26 required zero extensions to carry 10 rounds. 26 is .2 wider than the 43 but 43 is .2 taller than the 26, specs are readily available. Have no idea why anyone would buy a 43x, buy a 19 instead, just trying to give the OP options.

Watch what the cops recommend. They're speaking from the point of view of guys that are trained constantly and carry for years.
As someone new to handguns follow the advice an old Drill Seargant once gave me. " KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID". Less to deal with is less to go wrong. Simple to deal with and absolutely SAFE. Remember, you're not carrying this in a retention holster like I had for the daily job. At most it will be in a pancake on a belt and more likely in a pocket stuck in a flimsy pocket holster. That's why I go to a DAO For a new guy and the simplest is a revolver. No safety and a nice heavy trigger that won't go bang and ventilate your new shoes.
The big drawback of the revolver is it's width. Tiny ones like my S&W 642 38 Special are just a tad fat for my liking. 5 shots of +p will ruin anyone's day but for concealment it's just a bit too wide in normal clothes to look like a cell phone or wallet. Something like this or a Rugar LCR are cheap and easy to use. The triggers are heavy by design and are fine for 20-25' range. These are fun and cheap to practice with .
My go to gun for years is a Rugar LCP . It looks like a smart phone on your pocket and all I use is a cheap Desantis pocket holster. They make 2 flavors, the LCP Gen 2 , LCPII. Yea it's confusing. The LCPII is striker fired and has last shot slide lock back while the old original LCP and newer brother the Gen2 has the heavy revolver trigger and slide won't lock back( too bad🤨). You will hear how horrible that LCP trigger is constantly and the old ones were. The new one ,Gen 2 is actually quite good, identical to my Custom as they called it While it was made. I've shot the striker version too and don't like it . The trigger is too light for pocket carry for me, ( I have it chambered). Remember, rule #1 is it won't go bang unintended, like yanking out of a pocket under stress.
With any auto comes the chambered or not issue / choice. Way too slow in most folks estimation in a real incident. It also tips your hand early and you may have a hard time, fingers slipping or forget completely. That's a big consideration which brings you back around to the light trigger worries.

Mouse guns like the LCP family aren't the best to learn on. They actually hurt to fire Past 25 rounds. The trade off is weight and size of a plus size cell phone. 380 very expensive to practice with while 38 special is pretty cheap. My 642 is a joy to practice with in all respects comparatively. Once you learn to stage that trigger it shoots as well as a double action revolver. I like these cheaper guns myself as they're going to get a lot of wear because of being concealed. Sweat, pocket grime and abrasion take their toll . That's why I won't be carrying a $700 gun daily. Those are more suited to range use.
I strongly recommend a CC course and even refreshers periodically. It's just smart to know when you're really justified and all the considerations, there's plenty. They'll also likely have an assortment of guns there so you can check them out and you'll learn a lot. You'll also learn a lot about storage, kids in the house ect.
One last consideration, safety vs no safety. The say the trigger safety sans Glock et all striker pistols is a real safety. You can argue that forever but if something like a car key gets in there that trigger will pull back . If it pulls easy things might get embarrassing . That's why I want the heavy trigger in the case of those type, like the old style LCP and The small frame revolvers. Whichever way you go I'd try to stay the same with the carry gun. Swapping back and forth may lead to confusion hesitation at precisely the wrong moment. Range guns no problem but cc guns I go with the old Sarges advice of keeping it simple stupid.
One very last thing, I promise. Keep the NRA and such Stickers off your car. If you're in a downtown are it will draw thieves like vultures. They wont get the gun because you're off somewhere carrying it but they will bust your window for a disappointing peek .

Originally Posted by BISCUT
I would strongly recommend the glock 26 over the 43 if you're leaning toward a glock. Since you say you might not be totally comfortable with pistols yet, you might want a handgun with an external safety, if so the glocks aren't for you yet.

The 43 is a little taller than the 26 but the 26 is a little wider than the 43. Personally, the double stacks fit my hands better and you can conceal a 26 everywhere you can conceal a 43...plus you get 4 more rounds and the ability to accept all the large cap glock double stack mags.

Strongly disagree. 43x has reliable aftermarket FLUSH fitting 15 round magazines. Glock 26 relies on EXTENSIONS added to the magazine. These often make it similar in size to a Glock 19. I've carried the 26 for years and 27 at work on desk duty. 43x much less a footprint.

26 required zero extensions to carry 10 rounds. 26 is .2 wider than the 43 but 43 is .2 taller than the 26, specs are readily available. Have no idea why anyone would buy a 43x, buy a 19 instead, just trying to give the OP options.

In order to increase capacity past 10 rounds the G26 requires a magazine extension. Do you know of an G26 magazine extensions that are flush fitting?

I'm not going to make any specific recommendations because only you can decide what fits you. Personally, I carry a Taurus PT709Slim but, they've changed the model number since I bought mine. They are now called the Taurus G2S. It has a factory capacity of 7+1. I upgraded to an 8+1 Promag. The extra length of the mag with the extra round gives me a better grip on the pistol thus I'm a lot more accurate with it. If you've got small/medium size hands the good thing about it is it's a single stack and doesn't have the bulk of a double stack mags. I don't have anything against some pistols with double stack mags but, others just feel bulky and out of place in my hand. If I'm shopping for a pistol if I pick it up and it doesn't feel right in my hand I hand it back to them and tell them no thanks. I know if I don't like the way it feels in my hand I'll never use it. If you feel comfortable with a .22LR Taurus also makes the TX-22 which is a little larger pistol with a 17+1 capacity. It's light weight (17.3oz.), low recoil, approximately a 5# trigger pull with a short reset and comes with 2 mags from the factory. I have the TX-22 but never carry it for a defensive firearm. First I'd have to put more rounds through it to make sure it was going to be reliable and I just prefer 9mm for defense. The main thing is whatever you buy don't buy it and never shoot it. Shoot it make sure it's going to be reliable and shoot it more so if you ever need to use it you can hit your target. My nightstand pistol is a Ruger 9E with a 17+1 capacity of 9mm.

My first CC gun was a S&W M&P Shield 9mm 2.0 Performance Center (that name is way too long), I find myself carrying my Ruger LCP .380 the vast majority of the time.

All of you have truly outdone yourselves with providing a ton of information. I am going to go through all of the posts and take down some notes. Certainly a lot to consider and take in. I will start with contacting the class instructor and meeting with him.
Again, a huge thanks to everyone for your time of typing all of the information that you have.

Another consideration beyond the weapon itself is what style or styles of carry you will use and what's most comfortable for your body type and how you dress. I prefer to either carry a .380 in a pocket holster or to carry a 9mm or 45 inside the waistband at about the 4:00 position. A sturdy belt and good quality holster are key.

My 9mm would only leave home with Gold Dot HPs. But our subcompact 380s and the wife's.32ACP only get Fiocchi Full Metal Jacket ammo.

Penetration matters with these small subcompact 380s.... especially here in Michigan where coats are worn eight months of the year.

>>Charlotte, NC

There was just a young school teacher in Charlotte NC who threw/put her purse, with her gun in it, at Fridays into the booth. Went off and was shot and killed.
My son's sig had a defective part and it went off as he put in holstered into his cup holder.

For this reason, I like double action weapons.

To each his own here on caliber but I have carried for 40 years. Left many a big gun at home (useless) because they are so big.
Since 1992 I have carried a 7 shot 32 Seecamp almost everyday. (unless I am going into a really bad area.
It sits unnoticed in a top shirt pocket. In your pants pocket, front or back. In my pants in a sticky holster.
Double action with a long 11 pound pull. Its safe to have in your coat pocket with your finger on the trigger aiming at someone and they never know it.

Round in gel through denim. 13-14 inches tumbling - 32 Buffalo Bore +p Barnes copper

seecamp fb new.jpg

seecamp.jpg

Last edited:
That was a stock photo I'm gonna add another photo because that guy must have a small hand

see bob.jpg

Last edited:
There are many fine manufactures of concealed carry pistols on the market today.

Doesn't matter whether you decide carry a .380 or 44 magnum, as long as you can place your shots on target with consistent follow up.

Find what fits you and your price range and practice as much as possible.

Originally Posted by AJB0009

Any other thoughts on that or general advise or information for someone entering the conceal carry realm for the first time?
The officers also recommended a local class to take run by a 25 year veteran of the state patrol, which my wife and I would take as well.

Lot of good info on this string I recommend following- here are some additional considerations.

I recommend you and the wife taking the class first and even expand that to routine range fire with a variety of weapons ( big cal, small cal, auto, revolver etc.) to determine what you like and what fits each of you individually best before purchasing.

Caliber- they are all lethal so see above and pick the one you can manage the best. A few considerations are punching through walls/windows, the range of the round and all that. You don't need a hand cannon or a 40 stick for general carry and self defense but you may need more than a .22 LR can hit with in some circumstances.

Frame/barrel size- this is the "marriage" of what type of clothes you prefer to wear ( in carry scenarios) and the preferred location of the weapon during carry. All of these have plusses or minuses when you need it "in a hurry". Think about that during weapon and holster selection.

Smell/transfer ( yeah I have had people bring those issues to me)- you may find nickel/SS preferable for carry because of the "illusion" they don't need as much lubrication/maintenance or as vulnerable to pocketbook stuff ( and many women don't like the Hoppes #9 perfume smell)

Safety, accessibility and your ability to operate should be the deciding factors in my opinion for the purpose you outlined.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
Originally Posted by AJB0009

Any other thoughts on that or general advise or information for someone entering the conceal carry realm for the first time?
The officers also recommended a local class to take run by a 25 year veteran of the state patrol, which my wife and I would take as well.

Lot of good info on this string I recommend following- here are some additional considerations.

I recommend you and the wife taking the class first and even expand that to routine range fire with a variety of weapons ( big cal, small cal, auto, revolver etc.) to determine what you like and what fits each of you individually best before purchasing.

Caliber- they are all lethal so see above and pick the one you can manage the best. A few considerations are punching through walls/windows, the range of the round and all that. You don't need a hand cannon or a 40 stick for general carry and self defense but you may need more than a .22 LR can hit with in some circumstances.

Frame/barrel size- this is the "marriage" of what type of clothes you prefer to wear ( in carry scenarios) and the preferred location of the weapon during carry. All of these have plusses or minuses when you need it "in a hurry". Think about that during weapon and holster selection.

Smell/transfer ( yeah I have had people bring those issues to me)- you may find nickel/SS preferable for carry because of the "illusion" they don't need as much lubrication/maintenance or as vulnerable to pocketbook stuff ( and many women don't like the Hoppes #9 perfume smell)

Safety, accessibility and your ability to operate should be the deciding factors in my opinion for the purpose you outlined.

Yep. Lots of personal stuff. Are you in Greenwich, CT, Laguna Beach, Scarsdale, New York or The Bronx. Are you 6 foot 5 or 5 foot 9. Not sure if I would want a mouse gun at 6-5. Or a 45 at 5-2.

To me a big weapon is a pain in the [censored]. Especially when I lived in Miami during the hot summer. Shorts and a Tee Shirt. In the 80's,at 100 degrees, I never wanted to carry a 1911 and had a Baby Browning, a derringer, a 38, a Walther PPK.
Seemed all were a compromise. Not enough shots, not enough caliber, too big.
That's when a Ft Lauderdale Cop pulled out a 32 Seecamp out of his back pocket and handed it to me, saying many had them.
It seemed to fill many spots. Lighter than a derringer but 7 shots, more caliber than the 25. I sold the derringer and baby browning and bought one.

Can you afford a big weapon and a tiny one? That's a great position to be in.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by SeaJay
I'd vote for a snub nosed revolver, no worries about hitting the safety or a jam. If you can't stop your opponents with five shots, you ain't gonna get him with 15.

I'm pretty sure anyone anyone who couldn't get the job done with five rounds would welcome 10 more tries to do so.

If you are shooting, the opponent is a serious threat. If your opponent isn't laying down with shoes pointed up after five shots, you are probably the one laying down with shoes pointed up/

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
I'd vote for a snub nosed revolver, no worries about hitting the safety or a jam. If you can't stop your opponents with five shots, you ain't gonna get him with 15.

I'm pretty sure anyone anyone who couldn't get the job done with five rounds would welcome 10 more tries to do so.

If you are shooting, the opponent is a serious threat. If your opponent isn't laying down with shoes pointed up after five shots, you are probably the one laying down with shoes pointed up/

If the perp was barefooted, then all bets are off.
coffee2.gif

One thing is a very true no matter how you cut it. The 380 mouse gun in your pocket holster hits a lot harder and will scare [censored] out of a criminal far more than that 15 round service type gun that got left in the car because it's a pain to carry in light clothes. Unless you are in a suit coat many of those 10+ round pistols don't hide so well. I'm sure that's the prime reason why mouse guns are so popular.

Originally Posted by Driz
One thing is a very true no matter how you cut it. The 380 mouse gun in your pocket holster hits a lot harder and will scare [censored] out of a criminal far more than that 15 round service type gun that got left in the car because it's a pain to carry in light clothes. Unless you are in a suit coat many of those 10+ round pistols don't hide so well. I'm sure that's the prime reason why mouse guns are so popular.

This!

Originally Posted by Driz

Post of the day.
It's all about concealment in this thread and many guns discussed here are not front pocket suitable-for-concealment. A wheel-gun in my front pocket, is something I tried inside a gun store and boy does it stick out of everything, but cargo pants. Plus, not everyone wears shirts outside the pants on summer days..... and these folks desire a firearm along for the trip.

Tuck that shirt-in and still carry a gun inside your pocket, that won't bulge out. Now that's a conceal handgun..
Member Astro above mentioned a 9mm concealer and my buddy carries a Kahr CM9 9mm tha'ts concealed well. All mine are 380s currently.

Last edited:
Back