First Conceal Carry Handgun?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Driz
One thing is a very true no matter how you cut it. The 380 mouse gun in your pocket holster hits a lot harder and will scare [censored] out of a criminal far more than that 15 round service type gun that got left in the car because it's a pain to carry in light clothes. Unless you are in a suit coat many of those 10+ round pistols don't hide so well. I'm sure that's the prime reason why mouse guns are so popular.

Post of the day.
It's all about concealment

Me too!!

380's btw

These are my recovered rounds from 10% gel through denim.

Top 3 32's

Sig 380
The huge silver is a 380 Winchester Train and defend. (But only 7 inches)
I would love to hear opinions on that huge hole vs loss of penetration.

My best 380's were the sig and the critical defense pink tip both within a 1/4 inch of each other at 12ish inches
I was almost the same as the Lucky Gunner tests though I thought the sig was a hair better.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/pocket-pistol-caliber-gel-test-results/#380ACP

The huge copper in the middle is a 38 Buffalo Bores Barnes non plus p at 13 inches fired from a 2 inch colt!!!
I could never get a (non +p) 38 to expand from a 2 inch barrel.
Changes everything if they still make it.
Now I think about adding a Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight but only because of that one bullet as most are so poor.
(I sold my 1967 Colt 2 inch 38. Just too heavy)

train.jpg

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's a couple side by side pics. I have medium sized hands. That's a iPhone 7 Plus it's got next to it. The loaded LCP weighs about the same as that phone and in its Desantis $15 holster. That gives a good idea of how the LCP and J frame compare width wise.

I just wanted to say that I think this thread has been truly epic! Five pages of posts. Each and every post provided relevant, simple, straightforward, useful information. Every post was respectful, honest, and candid. This thread provides a wealth of information to anyone who is considering purchasing a handgun.
I personally think that this thread should be saved somewhere, made a sticky, or something. I would hate to see it just work it's way down the list and eventually disappear. That would be a tragic waste of a ton of excellent information.

the s&w 442 pictured by driz above is a great option if its main role is to be carried concealed everyday. my only issue with mine is that i really can't take recoil. the 442 is airweight so i only load it with softer 38 wadcutter or short ammo, which isn't easy to find, except online and at gun shows. i added beefier grips, which make it no longer pocket carry, but greatly improves shooting comfort.

F23B0641-5FBC-4E7A-A844-404F093AE647.jpeg

I carry this Kahr P380 in pocket but go with my 10+1 Sig P365 or Glock 26 depending on what I'm wearing or where I'm going.
The P380 is only 4.9" long and 3.9" in height. Shoots well for a small gun.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jstert
the s&w 442 pictured by driz above is a great option if its main role is to be carried concealed everyday. my only issue with mine is that i really can't take recoil. the 442 is airweight so i only load it with softer 38 wadcutter or short ammo, which isn't easy to find, except online and at gun shows. i added beefier grips, which make it no longer pocket carry, but greatly improves shooting comfort.

Thought the 442 was the black model, and the 642 the bright model (both have an alloy frame). Is that corrosion on the frame in your photo?

Originally Posted by jstert

You might want to try the 38 SPL BUFFALO-BARNES LEAD-FREE STANDARD PRESSURE
110 gr. BARNES TAC-XP @ 1,000 fps https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=294
Very expensive but as you can see in the pics a few posts above. Huge performance and the recoil should be about the same as a 125 Grain Wadcutter, and maybe less as its a lighter round.

Until I saw (and shot that) I was thinking the caliber was almost useless from a 2 inch barrel-----for the weight of an older 38. Mine was a 1967.
Now I think about buying a 442, though I would never own another heavy 38.

Last edited:
thanks zeeosix regarding models, i cant keep them straight. yes some kind of surface corrosion. mine came to me used, cheap and ugly, but an excellent shooter. i did my best to clean it, but gave up. my firearms are all shooters, not lookers. do you have any idea what caused the surface corrosion? i'm thinking exposure to salt water or perspiration. i wonder if the previous owner used this snubbie as a fishing or boating kit gun?

hi clarkflower, i really like 38 wadcutters, with cbc shorts by magtech in 2nd place. until higher powered handgun ammo comes with a proximity fuse to stop an attacker with shrapnel or a concussive shockwave, i will choose consistent hits with softer shooting ammo for both practice and carry.

For a tiny, flat .380 auto the Beretta Pico is hard to beat.

Not something I want to do a pistol match with but as mentioned the pistol you have on you is worth twice the pistol you don't.

BSW

With all the stuff going on lately, and now that I've a wife, a kid, and a house, I finally decided to buy a pistol. Shot quite a few guns but just never bought one. Went to the range and shot my fathers and brother in laws guns. Decided on the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 2.0 9mm and it'll have an Apex trigger kit in it real soon. The plan to also pick up a Ruger LCP Custom as you can still find some new ones out there. I actually preferred the Custom over the LCP2. Plan to carry the 9 most of the time but want the LCP for when I have light summer clothes on and it'll disappear easily with the included pocket holster. Then it's on to finding something my wife will be comfortable with for her to keep at the house. Now if I can just find all the ammo, LOL. People are going nuts right now. 9mm ammo is like gold.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by SeaJay
I'd vote for a snub nosed revolver, no worries about hitting the safety or a jam. If you can't stop your opponents with five shots, you ain't gonna get him with 15.

Exactly what I was thinking . :)

On point, practice - practice - practice.

Many even in LE were horrendously out of touch with accurate shooting on-the-job (their duty weapon) back in the early 1990's.
Changes in mandatory range time and qualification came around based on that discovery. For many, hitting their intended target was 20% or less. The findings were related mostly to Police/LE seeking higher end guns for personal use and getttng lots of practice and recreation shooting time / experience with guns that were more custom. Some of it was those with not much interest or incentive to practice at the range just becase not all Police or LE are "gun guys" or "gun girls".

For personal carry, I think you want the best of these three -
A gun that you shoot well,
Carry comfort,
Ease of access.

Last edited:
So if I read the original question, he states that he is not or has not been into handguns, I always recommend a DA revolver to start. Safe, simple, and effective. Also if your wife or girlfriend had to use it she could, again so simple. Ruger lcr in .38. Even glocks require some more thought process to load, and operate. A pancake leather holster, loose fitting t shirt and good to go. I still take my lcr on road trips with my girlfriend with the thought that if the chips were down she could fire it. I have auto pistols and glocks too and love them, but for new shooters a revolver is such a safe and good first choice. Cheers.

Originally Posted by rdevans89
I always recommend a DA revolver to start. Safe, simple, and effective. Also if your wife or girlfriend had to use it she could, again so simple.

Because girls are dumb or something?

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
I always recommend a DA revolver to start. Safe, simple, and effective. Also if your wife or girlfriend had to use it she could, again so simple.

Anyone brought up around guns knows how to rack a slide etc. But many people aren't, and that includes many women unfortunately. "Anyone" can work a DA revolver--it's the original point and click interface, after all. Is there a safety (or not), does it go up (or down), do you have to rack it before using it... If she's into guns then there is no problem. If not it can be daunting.

Also there is an issue with women and slides. Many do seem to have problems with racking a slide, and have to use a modified approach. The long trigger is a challenge to most people. But loading is easier (no magazines to fight with), so again, another difference.

Not saying all women can't figure it out, nor that no woman can work a slide. Just that it can be an issue.

Thank you, just a good reminder that I need to stay off of these forums.

Thank you, just a good reminder that I need to stay off of these forums.

Hey, you made the distinction, not me.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I'd vote for a snub nosed revolver, no worries about hitting the safety or a jam. If you can't stop your opponents with five shots, you ain't gonna get him with 15.

This.
The first thing to look is getting out of dodge. Unless you train a lot..I mean tactical training with a good instructor...... A semi can get you into trouble, jams, stovepipes, etc. thes can be exacerbated by "limp wrist"
Get snubby wheel guns .

As mentioned..the 43 is extremely snappy a typical small hand woman will not be able to handle it (in most cases).

I would suggest to see if there is an indoor range that rents guns and try a few different models .Revolvers and semi autos. Tiny hand guns aren't the most fun to shoot.

Originally Posted by CT8
I would suggest to see if there is an indoor range that rents guns and try a few different models .Revolvers and semi autos. Tiny hand guns aren't the most fun to shoot.

Yep had some friends all hot to get a Kahr 40 S&W they got one two of four traded them back in on a 9 after their first trip to the range.

Back