What's the best all-around carry handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pete591
Originally Posted By: erogers
I would go with my Colt Combat Commander (stainless). With .45 ACP power, and a very thin profile since it's a single-stack, it fits the bill for me. I'm a 1911 fanatic though, so I'm admittedly biased. My favorite 9mm would be my HK USP Compact. Unfortunately, I live in a state that doesn't allow concealed carry. That might change soon, though.

39.gif

Son has a new Dan Wesson Bobtail 1911 Commander. It has a Match barrel...lots of Ed Brown parts ...stainless steel...Trijicons..very tight custom-like fitted gun.
Will shoot dead on center in a ransom rest and always with 1" groups. $ 1,000.00 (Ed Brown piece goes for $ 2,700.00) 8+1 .45 ACP with Winchester Bonded Ammo the FBI uses with a couple mags is all he needs. Shoots much more accurately than his Glocks/Walther P99 but is close to his Beretta.

The Marines have purchased 200 Springfield 1911 Professionals and more to follow with SOCOM buying up Springfield Operators as potential replacements accross the board for their berettas which jammed a lot in sand. The .45 ACP is once again on the top of the heap where it belongs. Big bore stopping power.

http://www.gunblast.com/DanWesson-CommanderClassic.htm

This IWB holster is the most comfortable as well.
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95
I have been looking at the D.W. line of 1911s for the last year and a half and they are the ones to buy.

I like the S@W j frame one is in my pocket now. But that is my choice .You have to get what fits your needs. Like shoes if they don't fit !!! What ever you can shoot good will be way better that one that you can't make hits with. A miss with a 50 BMG is like a miss with a 22 lr.

A couple of monthe ago I got to try a Raging Bull with full power loads, I was surprized that the recoil was way,way less than I would expect.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
colt_anaconda.jpg

Pfffft those colt's are weaksauce, here is my carry gun
grin2.gif

454.jpg

LMAO!!!!!!!!

The Anny was available in .45, .44 Mag and .357 Mag. What cal is your big girl there?

454 Casull, Those are my own handloads, 360gr WLNGC over 24 grains of IMR 4227. I actually do carry it when visiting my brother in Montana, he lives in Grizzly country
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
A couple of monthe ago I got to try a Raging Bull with full power loads, I was surprized that the recoil was way,way less than I would expect.

Yeah the gun weighs over 3lbs so the recoil not an issue at all really.

454 Casull, Those are my own handloads, 360gr WLNGC over 24 grains of IMR 4227. I actually do carry it when visiting my brother in Montana, he lives in Grizzly country
crazy2.gif

I'm Canadian, I haven't even HEARD of that calibre! LMAO!

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Ah the myth of the all mighty .45ACP
smirk2.gif

FBI wants penetration and expansion. They could care less about 25" of penetration if you get no expansion. FMJs are far from ideal for self defense situations. FBI and LEOs know that. IIRC it's typical a FMJ will make an entry wound 66% of it's diameter, whereas a JHP/HP will be around 80%

You'll see in this typical chart most all JHPs from all calibers penetrate close to the same.

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Ive been carrying a Glock 26 as my back up weapon for about 10 years, mostly with an IWB holster or an ankle holster. Very concealable, although I would probably go with a Glock 27 if I was allowed.

crazy2.gif

.454 is a BEAST of a round. One of the few I prefer not to shoot.

The absolute best carry gun?

The one you can afford to shoot on a regular basis.
The one you can and will comfortably carry.
The one you can handle/control the best.
The one that you are the most proficient with.

crazy2.gif

.454 casull is a excellent caliber!
01.gif

Think of it being a .45 long colt magnum. Can be loaded quite a few different ranges.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Pete C.
The absolute best carry gun?

The one you can afford to shoot on a regular basis.
The one you can and will comfortably carry.
The one you can handle/control the best.
The one that you are the most proficient with.

+++ all that matters......

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
crazy2.gif

.454 casull is a excellent caliber!
01.gif

Think of it being a .45 long colt magnum. Can be loaded quite a few different ranges.

Take care, bill

Thank you Bill, appreciate the clarification.

I like my Glock 26 loaded with Gold Dot 124gr +p's, but if I had to choose only one pistol for all needs (CCW, Range, Home Defense) I'd have to go with my Glock 19, or any of the other "Compact" frame Glocks. Simple, they fire EVERYTIME, and they are more accurate than I am.

I dont know how so many of you like the composite Glocks and their knock offs. They feel like I'm holding a gyroscope in my hand.

I like the S&W .40 Cal for most people in most situations as far as caliber goes.

Glocks = reliability, durability, no external safeties, easy cleaning (dishwashing soap & water), lots of calibers and sizes available, lots of aftermarkets, and reliability.

Used to dislike polymer frames myself, until I bought a Glock. Now everything else is just... not... a Glock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back