What's better for storage - Sta-Bil or seafoam?

I've been storing my bikes over the winter with Sta-Bil, but some people say they like seafoam better. The name "seafoam" sounds corrosive...Lol!

I've used Star Tron in my stored fuel for many years. I also try to rotate it into the cars at least 2x per year and refill cans.

I used to use Stabil (red) in my snow blower that sat in shed. Every year I had issues. Shop after a couple years told me all they have doing is cleaning out the gummed up red Stabil from carb. Whether I used too much? I followed dosing instructions They said it seems the fuel in the heat in shed was evaporating out of carb. They recommended getting the TruFuel or other version or ethanol free fuel, empty regular fuel, add a little of the TruFuel or other ethanol free, run it until it runs dry, try to restart 1-2 times then just let it sit. Refill with fresh gas before I use it next winter. I haven't had any issues since.

The flip side- some say all the seals/gaskets dry out instead. I haven't had that yet.

Maybe I'll need to try the 360 Marine on the next can refill.

i didnt know seafoam was a for-storage treatment like sta-bil
I seem to recall that their usage instructions on the bottle/can refer to storage. They market for sooooo many things but there's only so much room on the front !! 😁

√ Stabilizes gas & diesel fuels up to 2 years

HOW TO USE SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT FOR STORAGE
√ Sea Foam helps stored fuel resist evaporation, preserve ignition vapors & prevent gum & varnish formation.
√ Stabilizes fuel up to 2 years.

I use Sta-Bil in all fuel if there's a chance that the engine is going to sit unused.

An odd experience - before the time of ethanol in fuel, I had stored the Yamaha for an unplanned extended period (two years) with a full tank of fuel and Sta-Bil.

After this period of storage, the engine fired right up and I went for a ride. The engine ran normally with no hiccups. At ~80 miles the engine acted fuel starved and I switched to reserve.

Refueling, fuel economy had dropped to a paltry 19 mpg for that previous tankful. Typically, I would get close to 45 mpg (~200 miles/tank).

I always wondered if:
  • The fuel itself had deteriorated?
  • Sta-Bil while preserving the fuel, affected it's volatility in some way?

I seem to recall that their usage instructions on the bottle/can refer to storage. They market for sooooo many things but there's only so much room on the front !! 😁

√ Stabilizes gas & diesel fuels up to 2 years

HOW TO USE SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT FOR STORAGE
√ Sea Foam helps stored fuel resist evaporation, preserve ignition vapors & prevent gum & varnish formation.
√ Stabilizes fuel up to 2 years.

Probably for the first time ever, I took the time to notice how many things Sea Foam is claimed to do.

Cleans injectors
Clean carb jets
Stabilize fuels
Control moisture in fuels
Quiet noisy lifters
Clean deposits
Add lubricity to fuel
Lube upper cylinders
De-ice and anti-gel

My apologies to those who are a fan of Sea Foam, but as I read the label, the first thing that came to my mind is "Jack of all trades, master of none".

Just buy non-ethanol gas
Easier said than done in many areas. Almost no stations around here sell ethanol-free unless you go to a marina. There's a chain called Casey's that used to promote that they sold ethanol-free but now it's only "at select stations". Another is Circle K but I would drive past 50 gas stations (okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration) before I get to it.

I have used Stabil red in my wife’s ninja 250 (carbs drained) for many winters. Blue 360 for the last two…never an issue in the spring..

Easier said than done in many areas. Almost no stations around here sell ethanol-free unless you go to a marina. There's a chain called Casey's that used to promote that they sold ethanol-free but now it's only "at select stations". Another is Circle K but I would drive past 50 gas stations (okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration) before I get to it.
Yes, I see the recommendation to buy ethanol-free gas all the time, but it is getting increasingly difficult to find. There are a very small number of stations in my area that still sell it, but none of them are very close. I suspect there will come a point in time when it's no longer sold anywhere...

I use Stabil 360 Marine (the blue-green one) along with a shot of 2-cycle oil (mixed at 1oz per 5gal). Put both in a 5 gal can and fill at the local gas pump. Mix it up and use it to fill your motorcycles for the last few rides of the season. Then top off the tanks with it. If you have carburetors, turn off the gas and run them dry, then drain them. Any gas left will evaporate and leave a thin oil film to protect against corrosion. In the spring, just start up and go ride. Never an issue. I use this mix in both motorcycles and all my small engines. This has worked well for me for over a decade.

I too had issues with the red stabil. I would dry out and crystalize in the fuel system. The marine 360 stabil seems to do much better.

I have used both products and have not had an issue with either one of them. I believe they are both great products however I prefer Stabil as a stabilizer and Seafoam to keep small engines running good. Absolutely nothing to back up my theory other than my own preferences from what I have read and witnessed. Old timers prefer Seafoam in many cases and it seems like it was more common 30 years ago. I had a lawn mower repairman that swore by Seafoam to add to the tank on lawn mowers. Again, both are good however I do use Seafoam 360 in my 4 stroke motor tank on my boat and it goes to a 115hp Mercury and a 9.8 4 stroke kicker motor. With the price of marine engines and labor it's best to not scrimp on stabilizers, oils, and maintenance.

Back