What is the best 4 stroke mower you have owned?

Push mower, Toro Personal Pace Super Recycler model # 20092. Starts on the 1st pull, purrs like a kitten, and the personal pace is just about perfect.

Ride on, have 2, Husqvarna 1542 XP with the Kawasaki FH430 15HP twin with 1400 hrs. Cuts good and has been a favorite for 17 years.. but the 1983 Deere 212 with the 38" 2-blade cuts extremely well, better than the Husky but the hydro of the Husky is much nicer for a mow.

But the Toro is definitely my favorite grass cutter.

Push mower. 1978 craftsman eager1 bought new back then . Still have and use to this day. I also have a 2013 Honda that I have to play with carb(clean jets) but not as good as my craftsman other than changing plug every few years.

IMG_0434.jpeg

Cub Cadet 2155 with a Kohler Command. Just sold it last weekend with 400 hours on it because I went from mowing 3 yards to just my own, so I decided a push mower was the way to go. I’ve never had a rider that left such a clean looking cut.

View attachment 159657
Cub Cadet 2155 with a Kohler Command. Just sold it last weekend with 400 hours on it because I went from mowing 3 yards to just my own, so I decided a push mower was the way to go. I’ve never had a rider that left such a clean looking cut.
I bought one of those last year as a housewarming gift for a family member. Good little machine that runs sweet and mows clean.

I had hammer reliability out of a couple of old Briggs flathead mowers for decades. Both about 3.25 or 3.5 hp. One was well used for 10 years when I got it and continued on another 10 years. Then I bought an almost identical model for $110 at a local hardware store and used that for about 18 years. I have to admit that the oil didn't get changed every year. Next (c2006) was a fancier Craftsmen manual push mower with the now illegal 23 in. width and a 6.5 hp unknown engine. Large rear wheels. A bear to push around but would mow down nearly anything. After 13 years I retired that with the engine still running perfectly but everything else falling apart. Went with a little Honda HRS? self-propelled, 4 years ago. No rear bagger, which I didn't want. I like it except for the garbage quality soft steel Honda blades.

1979 Monkey Wards 16hp v-twin 6 speed until the deck bearings wore out. Never any problems

199x Green Bean yard machine

The 1999 Wheelhorse has been the biggest piece of garbage, burns the drive belt every year and gotta lift the hole body off to replace the belt
Slow down a little too fast bye bye belt, go from forward to reverse bye bye belt

My dad bought a used IH Cub Cadet in the 1960s' The tractor had a 10hp Kohler cast iron engine. The thing refused to die. My dad, an electrical engineer, didn't do much in the way of maintenance. I fact, he ran it for several years without the exhaust pipe and muffler. I learned how to "drive" on that thing.

I think its a 2011 model, but a Toro Personal Pace Super Recycler - same as a post above Model 20092. Cuts and mulches grass like no tomorrow. Starts up on the first pull nearly every time. Old school Briggs engine on it, but I have zero complaints to date!

I only owned two gas mowers my whole life, a Craftsman and a Husqvarna. Both had Honda 160 engines.

Even though the Husqvarna was practically new (I inherited it), I gave it away.
  • The grass catcher had an open, meshed back (no dust flap). I'd get covered with dust every time I mowed with it.
  • The Honda engine had a (semi-automatic) choke that would open when the rope start was pulled (no doubt a CA regulation). It took forever to get that thing to start - walk to the front, close the choke, hold the safety stop, pull the rope, walk to the front, close the choke, hold the safety stop, pull the rope, etc., etc., etc.....

Everything in my garage right now is awesome. The push mower is a Craftsman with the 190cc/ 6.25tq Briggs of unknown age (still a flathead, but has the newer style carb). It was given to me not running but just had some junky fuel. It now starts first pull and runs flawlessly. My new zero turn has a 25hp Briggs Commercial Turf engine which starts easily every time and runs awesome, is easy on fuel and uses no oil - a straight up ripper. Then there is the 17.5hp Kohler Command single in what is now my wife's Deere L110. 700hrs, starts easily, and uses no oil and purrs like a happy kitten.

But my favorite is the 18hp Kohler Magnum opposed twin in my Snapper garden tractor. It has an unknown but presumably high amount of hours due to age, but starts easily and runs flawlessly and is such a joy to listen to. Between the opposed design and dual exhaust, it has such a nice sound when mowing, especially in heavy grass. I honestly don't want to get rid of it, but have no need for 3 riders.

All start consistently - there's never any guessing on what it will take to get them to fire up and all run flawlessly, such a change from the small engines of my youth and younger days.

On a side note we got a new pressure washer with some sort of Chonda and to be honest, that thing is amazing! Super easy to start, barely sips fuel and is pretty quiet for OPE

I have to go with my 2005 22 inch craftsman self-propelled mower with a 6.75hp Briggs. I've put this thing through hell over close to 20 mowing seasons and it still runs like a top and starts on the first pull.

A “yard machine” from Lowe’s. 6.5 hp Briggs and FWD.

Dad acquired it from his father around 2005 and it was mainly used to mow a steep hill by the road. He gave it to me a few years ago and it’s now used for touch up at my house.

I accidentally ran over one of the drive wheels when I was 16 with a tractor. I remember that being a pain to find a replacement and the only thing I found was a used thing from a junkyard scrap pile with no tread. It now has mismatched yellow wheels from my BIL’s mower that caught on fire. Lol

A “yard machine” from Lowe’s. 6.5 hp Briggs and FWD.

Dad acquired it from his father around 2005 and it was mainly used to mow a steep hill by the road. He gave it to me a few years ago and it’s now used for touch up at my house.

I accidentally ran over one of the drive wheels when I was 16 with a tractor. I remember that being a pain to find a replacement and the only thing I found was a used thing from a junkyard scrap pile with no tread. It now has mismatched yellow wheels from my BIL’s mower that caught on fire. Lol
It's crazy to me how even the box store stuff from 20 years ago was still way better than what they sell at the box stores now. Back then you could buy a Yard Machines brand piece of equipment and it was decent enough that with good maintenance you could get 10-15 years out of it. Now I'm seeing this stuff right after the warranty expires with major issues, like cracked frames and decks from thin metal.

A Troy-Bilt (MTD) high wheel, self propelled mower with a Briggs and Stratton 163cc engine. It always started on the first pull and never gave me any trouble.

I gave it to a neighbor a couple years ago and he still uses it. I bought the same mower but it’s branded as Craftsman (M250) with a Honda GCV160 and that engine has been a piece of junk since day one. Always hard to start, bogs down easily and runs rough. My neighbor the other day said not to use Sta-bil in Honda engines because they’re fussy, but I’ve been using it just fine in all my other non-Honda engine power equipment for years. But I’ll try it. I’ll see if it runs better but if not I’m throwing it in the dumpster and getting another mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine.
I’m the complete opposite. My Troy bilt with the Honda 160 has been solid. 15 years owning it. Typical maintenance and use stabil marine in the gas. Every now and then I’ll shoot some Amsoil power foam in the cylinder. The carb has been opened once to clean the bowl.

1996 Cub Cadet 1641. Just retired it from mowing duty this past fall when I bought a stand-on zt. It has just over 1000 hours on the original Briggs Vanguard. The tractor is just fine and will now live a life of luxury pulling the wagon around and snowblower duty.

I’ll add another to my list of best 4 stroke mowers. My 1998 JD LX188 that I bought new 25 years ago. It pulls a heavy Cyclone Rake Pro every fall, a weighted 48” plugger and an old JD 80 lawn cart loaded down with fire wood, dirt, rocks or whatever I need it to do. I finally replaced the drive belt and air filter last year but still on its original deck belt, deck bearings, rear tires etc. The Kawasaki FV501 and TT K61 have been flawless and trouble free for 25 years and it still runs like a top.

Attachments

• KIMG0150.jpeg
    KIMG0150.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 11
  • KIMG0149.jpeg
    KIMG0149.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 12
I’ll add another to my list of best 4 stroke mowers. My 1998 JD LX188 that I bought new 25 years ago. It pulls a heavy Cyclone Rake Pro every fall, a weighted 48” plugger and an old JD 80 lawn cart loaded down with fire wood, dirt, rocks or whatever I need it to do. I finally replaced the drive belt and air filter last year but still on its original deck belt, deck bearings, rear tires etc. The Kawasaki FV501 and TT K61 have been flawless and trouble free for 25 years and it still runs like a top.
Very nice, it saddens me that the garden tractor market died off. My current collection is the 1641, a 1711, and a 1967 Wheel Horse with plenty of attachments between them.

I had an 18” 3 wheel Bunton trim mower years ago. Light as a feather and very maneuverable The single front wheel could pivot 360 degrees or lock in place for straight line mowing. Aluminum deck with zerk fittings on the wheels with a 3hp B&S. Mid 60’s vintage. Buttons were top of the line back in the day! Should have kept that one.
Yeah, I still have a 20" Bunton with the Aluminum deck, 5 HP Tecumseh, not sure the actual production date as bought it used in the early 80's. single front wheel but does not lock. It is great for very tight places but have not run it for 3 years now.

Back