What is the best 4 stroke mower you have owned?

Mine has to be the most recent. Yard Machines 675exi Briggs and Stratton. 163 cc. MTD. Never Change oil model. I do, of course. Lasting a long while. Use Sta-bil, some MMO, some left over Gumout, and lately Sta-bil Small Engine Pro in the oil and gas.

It seems like the fail point on two other mowers of mine have been the carbs. But this Yard Machine has been doing great with using the above additives.

A 22 in Tecumseh powered push mower that was given to me. Ran great and was super simple to work on. Wish I still had it.

No question, these two 25 year old Kawasaki powered John Deere JX 75 mowers. Both still start and run like new.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 87
A Troy-Bilt (MTD) high wheel, self propelled mower with a Briggs and Stratton 163cc engine. It always started on the first pull and never gave me any trouble.

I gave it to a neighbor a couple years ago and he still uses it. I bought the same mower but it’s branded as Craftsman (M250) with a Honda GCV160 and that engine has been a piece of junk since day one. Always hard to start, bogs down easily and runs rough. My neighbor the other day said not to use Sta-bil in Honda engines because they’re fussy, but I’ve been using it just fine in all my other non-Honda engine power equipment for years. But I’ll try it. I’ll see if it runs better but if not I’m throwing it in the dumpster and getting another mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine.

10+ year old Honda self propelled rear bagger. One pull wonder. Changed the plug and air filter for the first time this year.
Only things it has needed up until now is gas and oil. Belt is still gripping.

Current sweat inducer: Honda Harmony HRX 21" mulcher with hydrostat and separate blade clutch. Xenoy deck is literally bomb proof. 10 years old and gets annual oil, filter, plug changes with a fresh sharpening of the high lifts. Never fails to start on first pull and continues to put fear into every blade of grass in my lawn.

Because all I ever need is a simple walk behind mower w/o any drive wheels, the best mower I’ve had is my current Troy-Built w/Honda GCV160. After 15 years, only now do I have to do a few things to the mower. It just starts 1st pull and runs fantastic. It’s still on the OE NGK plug and it is only on its 2nd air filter. It gets new oil every season and Sta-BIL in the gas.

Last edited:
No question, these two 25 year old Kawasaki powered John Deere JX 75 mowers. Both still start and run like new.
I have the same mower i think a 1996 .
this mower has had one spark plug a few air filters thats it .
original belt never touched the carb change the oil once a year .
almost forgot on the second blade.
i swear to god i pull the rope six inch's and it always starts! ( first pull hot or cold.)
Absolute beast.

In 2008 I picked up some sort of MTD push mower. American made deck and whatever flavor powermore engine. I had knocked off the air filter a couple times and before I could fix it again we moved. The movers tossed the filter housing, which was sitting on top of the engine at the time. So since then I run it with no air filter and it gets an oil change a couple times per decade. It's used maybe a half hour per week during the summer and other than the main jet slightly blocked, she runs great. Best mower I ever bought.

My self propelled Honda has been flawless so far. It was manufactured in 2017 but I bought it clearanced in 2018. I had a very basic push mower with a Powermore engine on it for over 10 years before this and gave it away to a buddy of mine to use at his camp lot when I was ready to upgrade to self-propelled. Don't recall the brand but it was cheap so probably one of the MTD owned companies made it. I did not maintain that one well at all as I really thought it was going to crap out after a couple of years anyway. I recall one or two oil changes and a spark plug change from the cheap Torch plug to a better NGK but I think that's all I ever did to it.

1987 MTD with a Briggs 3.5 hp given to me by a friend in 1992 when we bought our house. Still runs! Just gets an oil change at the end of each season.

Back