Stalube Marine Grease boat trailer grease for wheel bearings (not for disc or drum brake wheel bearings)

For the last 25 years I've been using Sta-Lube® Marine Boat Trailer and 4x4 Wheel Bearing Grease. An Aluminum Complex grease. On my current tandem axle boat trailer, I about to convert from drum brakes to disc brakes on the single axle that has brakes. I'm gathering the parts and supplies was going to pick up some Sta-Lube Marine Boat Trailer grease when I came across the following statement on CRC website.
* boat trailer grease for wheel bearings (not for disc or drum brake wheel bearings)

Not understanding why they have the statement (not for disc or drum brake wheel bearings). I gave CRC technical support a call, the guy I talked to didn't have an answer other than to suggest I use Sta-Lube®Sta-Plex™ Extreme Pressure Premium Red Grease (a Lithium based grease).

My question is why the the statement (not for disc or drum brake wheel bearings)? The specs for the Sta-Lube marine Aluminum complex grease seem o.k.
Drop point is 500* F
Flash point 469* F
Working temp 0 to 325* F

While converting the axle from drum to disc brakes, I'm doing new timken bearings, races, seals. I'm considering switching to Lucas Marine grease a OBCS (Overbased Calcium Sulfonate) grease. The Lucas Marine grease has no limitation about wheel bearings with disc or drum brakes.

For the axle without brakes I'd need to clean out the old Stalube Aluminum complex from the idler hubs, etc before making the switch.

Still would like to understand why the Sta-Lube marine Aluminum complex grease is not good for bearings with disc brakes?

FYI - I only boat in fresh water and regularly maintain the trailer but still like to use good products designed for the purpose.

For the last 25 years I've been using Sta-Lube® Marine Boat Trailer and 4x4 Wheel Bearing Grease. An Aluminum Complex grease. On my current tandem axle boat trailer, I about to convert from drum brakes to disc brakes on the single axle that has brakes. I'm gathering the parts and supplies was going to pick up some Sta-Lube Marine Boat Trailer grease when I came across the following statement on CRC website.
* boat trailer grease for wheel bearings (not for disc or drum brake wheel bearings)

Not understanding why they have the statement (not for disc or drum brake wheel bearings). I gave CRC technical support a call, the guy I talked to didn't have an answer other than to suggest I use Sta-Lube®Sta-Plex™ Extreme Pressure Premium Red Grease (a Lithium based grease).

My question is why the the statement (not for disc or drum brake wheel bearings)? The specs for the Sta-Lube marine Aluminum complex grease seem o.k.
Drop point is 500* F
Flash point 469* F
Working temp 0 to 325* F

While converting the axle from drum to disc brakes, I'm doing new timken bearings, races, seals. I'm considering switching to Lucas Marine grease a OBCS (Overbased Calcium Sulfonate) grease. The Lucas Marine grease has no limitation about wheel bearings with disc or drum brakes.

For the axle without brakes I'd need to clean out the old Stalube Aluminum complex from the idler hubs, etc before making the switch.

Still would like to understand why the Sta-Lube marine Aluminum complex grease is not good for bearings with disc brakes?

FYI - I only boat in fresh water and regularly maintain the trailer but still like to use good products designed for the purpose.
Disc brakes can get hotter than drum ones. The grease can't take those temps

it appears it actually says not for any braked axles (wheel bearings)
so you were incorrectly using it before? :censored:

no idea.

it appears it actually says not for any braked axles (wheel bearings)
so you were incorrectly using it before? :censored:

no idea.
Yea, when I used Sta-Lube Marine grease with the drum brakes wheel bearings I was not following their guideline. It performed fine, but based upon their statement I should not have used on bearings with drum brakes.

Last edited:
I did some competitor testing and grease R&D for the bearings of variable speed electric motors for a high-speed rail system in Asia a few years ago. The data showed that the LiX greases in mineral oil and PAOs had better ASTM D1831 roll stability than the AlX in mineral oil and PAOs. LiX stayed in grade and AlX softened by an NLGI grade. In more severe roll stability testing, 18 hours at 50°C, LiX remained in grade and AlX softened by up to 2 NLGI grades.

These observations are not necessarily valid across all LiX and AlX greases.

Yea, when I used Sta-Lube Marine grease with the drum brakes wheel bearings I was not following their guideline. It performed fine, but based upon their statement I should not have used on bearings with drum brakes.
The could be two other problems and it could be related to water intrusion, i.e., the grease's emulsification capability, and how well can the grease protect the bearings against rust and corrosion.

This post partly answered my questions. I can use the Calcium Sulfonate with Lithium based greases. What happens if I slip up and it gets mixed with another type of grease? What is the real risk?

This post partly answered my questions. I can use the Calcium Sulfonate with Lithium based greases. What happens if I slip up and it gets mixed with another type of grease? What is the real risk?
What could happen is the grease could come too soft or to hard, in some cases it can cause the oils to separate and start leaking out..

image_2022-09-14_221002086.jpg

Back