What's better for storage - Sta-Bil or seafoam?

I've used Star Tron in my stored fuel for many years. I also try to rotate it into the cars at least 2x per year and refill cans.

I used to use Stabil (red) in my snow blower that sat in shed. Every year I had issues. Shop after a couple years told me all they have doing is cleaning out the gummed up red Stabil from carb. Whether I used too much? I followed dosing instructions They said it seems the fuel in the heat in shed was evaporating out of carb. They recommended getting the TruFuel or other version or ethanol free fuel, empty regular fuel, add a little of the TruFuel or other ethanol free, run it until it runs dry, try to restart 1-2 times then just let it sit. Refill with fresh gas before I use it next winter. I haven't had any issues since.

The flip side- some say all the seals/gaskets dry out instead. I haven't had that yet.

Maybe I'll need to try the 360 Marine on the next can refill.
2nded,

I've used this for a while now and even in OPE I knew had carb issues and high dosing Star Tron cleared them up. This was mainly if the carb was a bear to get off. We have ethanol free fuel but not anywhere really close to the house but if I had to go that way for something else I may get some.

Yes, I see the recommendation to buy ethanol-free gas all the time, but it is getting increasingly difficult to find.
Many Sheetz sell it here in Ohio, here is a list of the ones that carry it. https://www.sheetz.com/ethanolfree
I'm in Tuscarawas Co and many stations around here carry it, Sheetz, Marathon, and Circle K, I think the reason is all the lakes that are close by and many people run it in boats. I can even walk onto my local airport flight line and fill 5 Gal jugs of LL100.

Just buy non-ethanol gas and forget about stabilizers.

Uhhh, no . The photos below are what happens with pure gas (no ethanol) that was left in tank too long.

The carb set is from a Yamaha XS-1100. It was parked inside a shed and leaned up against the shed’s interior wall. Over time, All the gas drained into the two lower carbs. The two uphill carbs were clean, but still had clogged jets. The two downhill carbs……. not so lucky.

After several decades in the motorcycle industry my observations tell me not to depend on any product like Sta-bil or SeaFoam.
Just take a few minutes and drain the tank and carbs or FI system.

Z

Attachments

• CCD7301F-019C-4265-922E-621593431DD1.jpeg
    CCD7301F-019C-4265-922E-621593431DD1.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DFD37801-5C05-47D5-8E63-60E93F26E005.jpeg
    DFD37801-5C05-47D5-8E63-60E93F26E005.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 58
2 fuel injected vehicles that I personally started after sitting garaged for 8 years both had full tanks of premium gas, and Seafoam added to the tanks, and they pretty much started up as if they'd been driven the day before. One started up instantly, and never missed a beat. The other took 3 attempts, and ran rough for about 30 seconds then was good to go. They were driven on that gas until they needed more, no problems/stumbles/idle issues/had full acceleration etc 👍

The only thing I did was prime the fuel systems on both cars 5 to 6 times, by turning the key on till I heard the fuel pumps coming on and shutting off, then shutting the ignition off.

Of course I did all the typical first start checks, fluids/tire pressure/under hood for rodents etc, then checked for leaks after running/brakes/transmission yada yada lol.

I can't say the Seafoam helped, but I highly doubt it hurt. I went over there prepared to spend the day. I was pretty surprised to say the least 😉

I never store for more than 6 months my whole so far long life. Boats and Motorcycles, I normally buy the cheapest stuff StaBil in Walmart
Ive never had a fuel related issue in anything.

In fact, longest I ever stored anything was just this year. Boat was winterized Oct 2022, due to a move to a new state it was just started August 21st, 2023 and not only that, for the first time in my life of boating, decades, I didnt even start the boat after taking it out of storage.
I went right to the boat ramp with the boat. launched the boat and started it up for the first time since Oct 2022 (sure I had my fingers crossed*LOL*) Typically I run on land with muffs first.

IMG_4821.JPG

Last edited:
I have been using Startron for over 10 years. It has not let me down. I have treated 7 small engines with it.

Not everyone has a home shop to do this in, and also seems like overkill for storing a car for the fall and winter when stabilizer works perfectly fine.

This is the motorcycle forum, right ? Draining a motorcycle gas system is easily done in a parking lot if need be. Not as much gas to deal with as with an automobile.

so to each their own.

Z

I have multiple stations selling zero Ethanol gasoline, but I've always also dosed with Stabil for longer storage. It seems that the Stabil 360 has completely replaced the Stabil Marine formula that they had sold for decades. It's done well for me. The even older regular Stabil preservative with no Ethanol control claims seems to be gone for some years. No problems at all in 20 years on three different bikes with about 5 month storage. Two of them with carburetors. I keep a 5 gal. jug at home with E0 that is Stabil dosed. It seems to do well for as much as a year.

it does give me a good laugh that folks are more willing to spend $10 on a gas treatment instead of spending 10 minutes draining the fuel system.

Z
I purposely store my fuel tanks full with stabilized gas to prevent corrosion/rust in the tank. Less air volume in the tank to minimize accumulation of condensation. Fuel stores perfectly fine for six months in the tank. Start and ride in the spring. Never a problem. I do the same with my lawn mower. One or two pulls in the spring and it starts right up. I debate with a co-worker who drains all his tanks on his toys and tools in the fall. He feels it's worth it. Do whatever you think is necessary.

It is nice to be able to start up the motorcycle on an unseasonably warm day in February and take a ride. I then top off the tank when
I return with stabilized gas.

I do drain everything, fog the engine and tank, and store it covered if it is going into long term storage. I do this with my generators as I have no idea when they will be used. After a few years, they will start and run fine.

I've used Seafoam as a last-ditch effort to clean a clogged jet on carburetors that are very labor intensive to remove with about a 15% success rate. It doesn't stabilize E10 fuels, and certainly not for two years.

As for running E0 fuel, those who have E0 pump gas available, you are the minority, and enjoy it while you can since those stations are getting to be fewer by the week. The only real option to most of us is the canned E0 fuel like Trufuel or VP Racing sold in hardware stores.

I aggressively top oil with Sta-Bil for storage with a FULL TANK - worked so far 20+ years.

But there is always this year for it crash and burn. I'll know next month.

Just buy non-ethanol gas and forget about stabilizers.

My thoughts too......if available

Locally new fuel stop was built....'Clear' Eth Free pump added

Usually about $0.30 more a gallon & 88 octane (reg 10% ethanol is 85 octane)

Keep 20 gallons or so on hand...good stuff !

Related thought from the last couple times I had to clear junk from Generator carb. It was always run last with TruFuel and then run dry, not sure on carb drained but definitely run dry and possibly run on starting fluid sprays.

Would something like BG Fuel Drier be a thought to use also? keeping any water stuff in suspension. I do use the BG as winter approaches and then if I know it will get really cold where I'm going.

Back