What's better for storage - Sta-Bil or seafoam?

I never run my gen set carb dry. E0 and quality fuel stabilizer. Running dry never completely removes all the fuel anyway. That's where the quality stabilizer comes into play. I stabilize my fuel cans, not the individual equipment. Even when I was stuck with E10 a quality stabilizer was used successfully. I have a ton of small engines in my care.
PRI-G is now my go to stabilizer.

Seafoam has 2-propanol alcohol in it- according to msds similar concentration to E10 gasoline.

I usually treat with Sta-bil and then top oil with ND SAE30

Last edited:
I also believe draining the carbs is the best, however if your carbs have a paper style gasket, they will most likely leak quite badly when they are first filled up after being stored dry. So just be prepared for it.
If the seal is a rubber o-ring style, it should be fine.

Stabilize the fuel in the tank.

I use non ethanol premium, stabil and TCW3. Fill the tank and drain the float bowl of carb.

Paco

I won't use seafoam, because I don't like adding more alcohol to the fuel.

I use tcw3 @ 640:1 and sometimes stabil. I run e-10 fuel, but last fueling of the season is non ethanol with the TCW-3.

Been using the blue Stabil for many years. But I also start filling my tank with REC 90 gasoline the last couple of fill ups before winter storage. Ethanol free gas. Luckily the Marathon station not too far from me sells it. Usually a dollar to a dollar and a half more than regular. But nothing to worry about with a 4.5 gallon tank. I still pour some blue Stabil into the REC 90 and run it a bit. Like I said, the last few fill ups late in the season when I know riding days are limited. The following spring it starts like it had just been running. Every year.

it does give me a good laugh that folks are more willing to spend $10 on a gas treatment instead of spending 10 minutes draining the fuel system.

Z
I do both.

Run Seafoam in my gas for snowblower and lawnmower. End of respective seasons, lawn mower turn off fuel valve and let carb run dry. Whatever gas is in tank stays in until next spring and gets used up that summer

Snowblower I suck whatever gas is left in tank out, then start and run carb dry, then take out carb drain bolt for any risidual fuel. No fuel shut off on my snow blower

Back