Anyone in here have a bike that still has carbs?

I just dragged this '06 KLR650 home. It's a bit of a project and has been sitting in a garage for 8 years but I bought it from the original owner. The side panels are in the car and the best part is that is that it is a relatively unmolested bike with only 3700 miles.

The bike needs tires and a lot of attention but will be a rider again soon and will run just fine with a carburetor.
1684774389027.png

Last edited:
Not sure if it's been mentioned here but Project Farm has an excellent YT vid test. Will really open your eyes. Bottom line-ethanol ruins carbs. Run, drain, and siphon out as much Egas as you can, put some E free gas or aviation 100LL gas (even better) available at any airport, in your can (you can't put it in your vehicle there) into your mc and run that thru twice. Park it like that with petcock off and carbs full and if possible run it every month or two. Former CBX owner (6 carbs), present Honda Valkyrie owner (6 carbs). I've let my chain saw sit like that for a year and it started the 3rd pull the other day. If you are afraid of the petcock leaking by and hydrolocking the motor disconnect the fuel line and plug it. At least pull the spark plugs before the first start if you even suspect it, such as high level when you check the oil level, strong gas smell. On Valkyries a lot of us have put electric fuel cut offs because the starter is strong enough to destroy engines if it HL's.

That video above is not exactly indicative of normal motorcycle storage IMO.
1. Most people store their motorcycles or other gas equipment on a seasonal basis, so that means 4-6 months, not 9 months.

2. The guy poked some big holes in the jar lids. That doesn’t represent a gas tank. While gas tanks have ventilation, it is not as open to the outside air as those jars and they are definitely not open right at the top, where moist air can enter from simple raising and falling from temperature change. So water absorption in a gas tank would be much lower than what he observed.

3. While I’m sure there are some people that would store their equipment with just a little bit of gas in the tank, I’m sure most store them with full tanks of gas, or nearly full, especially metal motorcycle gas tanks.

I still maintain that E10 is not the boogeyman everyone is making it out to be. Sure, it’s not as good as pure gasoline, but for normal use and storage, it should not cause problems.

I just replaced the CV carb on a Buell with a Mikuni HSR 42. They call it an easy kit and they’re not kidding. Totally transformed the bike . I should have done it years ago.

Back