What y’all recommend for a 2010 Dodge Caravan?

I have one of those, 08 with a 3.8, 81K miles. Started using a lot of oil at 47K miles when my grandfather owned it, dealer changed lower intake gaskets and found that oil was getting sucked past 1 or 2 of the intake ports past the lower intake gasket. Fixed the problem for a while, it drinks 5W20, 5W30. Does well with 10W30 and 10W40 high mileage. Last time I put M1 Euro 0W40 in it, hasn't burned a drop of it and its never sounded so smooth or quiet on any other oil. It'll go through a quart of oil in 700 miles with 5W20 or 5W30.

Coworker also has one of these with a 3.3 and I've been using Rotella 15w40 in it since it's been badly abused and it's been doing pretty good on that as well. His has like 158K miles.

I have one of those, 08 with a 3.8, 81K miles. Started using a lot of oil at 47K miles when my grandfather owned it, dealer changed lower intake gaskets and found that oil was getting sucked past 1 or 2 of the intake ports past the lower intake gasket. Fixed the problem for a while, it drinks 5W20, 5W30. Does well with 10W30 and 10W40 high mileage. Last time I put M1 Euro 0W40 in it, hasn't burned a drop of it and its never sounded so smooth or quiet on any other oil. It'll go through a quart of oil in 700 miles with 5W20 or 5W30.

Coworker also has one of these with a 3.3 and I've been using Rotella 15w40 in it since it's been badly abused and it's been doing pretty good on that as well. His has like 158K miles.

Thanks for the heads up!

My 2009 Town & Country with the 3.8 burned/used Mobil 1. I switched to Castrol Edge and oil consumption was cut in half.
Bought it new and it used oil from the start. I used Mobil 1 5W-20 until about 80K miles. Consumed about 1qt per 1000 miles. Switched to Castrol Edge 5W-20 and it went to 1/2qt per 1000 miles. Sold it at 140k miles. Engine was rock solid other than consuming oil.

Since it burns a little oil and we have the crappy smog laws, what’s the best FS to help with the cat’s longevity? ESP? Preferably in a 0w40 or 5w30/40

Last edited:
My 2009 Town & Country with the 3.8 burned/used Mobil 1. I switched to Castrol Edge and oil consumption was cut in half.
Bought it new and it used oil from the start. I used Mobil 1 5W-20 until about 80K miles. Consumed about 1qt per 1000 miles. Switched to Castrol Edge 5W-20 and it went to 1/2qt per 1000 miles. Sold it at 140k miles. Engine was rock solid other than consuming oil.
My grandfather bought ours brand new with the unlimited lifetime powertrain warranty. That warranty was used many times in the 10 years he had it. Ever heard of a valve body getting replaced at 16,000 miles? me either, until we acquired this thing. My grandfather was using Castrol edge 10W30 with pretty good results for a couple of years before he passed away.

My coworkers van was using a horrific amount of oil until I started working on it, seems to be getting better though. I think his drank as much 5W20 as it did gasoline.

Back