What would you use? Brake pad advice

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
These are what the front brakes on the SRT look like right now, not at the squealer, but getting close. They have 24,000km on them (15,000 miles):
95F71A76-8819-4C5A-A3E3-C885E576E9BD_1_105_c.jpeg

I figure the rotors are good for another set of pads, they aren't as chewed up as the one-piece ones on my 2016, these look pretty good still.

The dealer told me it's $3,000 to do the brakes, which, yeah, that's "typical" for this vehicle, you have to pay to play, but having brakes last like 30,000km, well, I'm curious if there are other options that might provide a bit longer pad life and be more cost effective.

I know there are a number of different pad brands out there that cater to the enthusiast market and will make pads that fit this application. The OE pads have an insane amount of bite, which in turn results in rapid wear.

So, what other options are BITOG'ers a fan of? And no @AutoMechanic it's not getting white box, lol.

I'm not trying to be cheap, and I'll buy OE if that's ultimately best, but I'm suspecting there's something that's a better balance of wear and bite available. @edyvw

Highly unlikely. The OE Brembo pads are extremely good - we have yet to find anything that balances performance, wear and noise as well as their compound.
The pads on my Charger might have been a different compound (or, it was just lighter) because I don't remember them having the same insane bite as these have, and they didn't seem to wear as rapidly. This seems to be a Grand Cherokee SRT thing.

What type of vehicle are we dealing with? I can’t see your profile.

Cursory look at RA indicated $83 for a set of front Brembo branded ceramic pads for a 2016 Dodge Charger SRT (which I am assuming you are driving).

White box? You mean Raybestos? You know that’s what I’m going to recommend lol. Brembo or Wagner Thermoquiet would probably be my next choices. But I’m not familiar with Mopar stuff so I don’t know what they like and don’t like for brakes and feel.

The pads on my Charger might have been a different compound (or, it was just lighter) because I don't remember them having the same insane bite as these have, and they didn't seem to wear as rapidly. This seems to be a Grand Cherokee SRT thing.
Totally unrelated but brand new MB Metris only made it to 19,000kms before the front pads were toast.
Some vehicles are just horrible offenders when it comes to brakes.

Are the OE pads carbon ceramic?

These are what the front brakes on the SRT look like right now, not at the squealer, but getting close. They have 24,000km on them (15,000 miles):

I figure the rotors are good for another set of pads, they aren't as chewed up as the one-piece ones on my 2016, these look pretty good still.

The dealer told me it's $3,000 to do the brakes, which, yeah, that's "typical" for this vehicle, you have to pay to play, but having brakes last like 30,000km, well, I'm curious if there are other options that might provide a bit longer pad life and be more cost effective.

I know there are a number of different pad brands out there that cater to the enthusiast market and will make pads that fit this application. The OE pads have an insane amount of bite, which in turn results in rapid wear.

So, what other options are BITOG'ers a fan of? And no @AutoMechanic it's not getting white box, lol.

I'm not trying to be cheap, and I'll buy OE if that's ultimately best, but I'm suspecting there's something that's a better balance of wear and bite available. @edyvw
hey @OVERKILL you've helped me with my UOA's, now let me return the favor..

Porterfield brake pads.. made in california in their shop.. they come in different flavors, you'd want the street version. R4-S, they're carbon/kevlar pads, and I've had them last about 50k miles. They're rotor friendly, they work in -10 degrees and don't require any heat to get them working. They're about 50% more stopping power than stock pads. Only drawback, break them in gently, takes about 2 weeks of normal driving.. and then one they're broken in.. you'll hit the pedal 1/4 down and be kissing the dash!:giggle:

oh and if you need brake lube for the pad shims, you'll need to use Permatex' Ceramic Solids lube, they get hotter than normal pads, and Ceramic will go to 3000deg F. These pads when worked hard in summer can liquify normal lube. Ask me how I know! lol

here's the link..

EDIT: reviewing the prices for OEM, ouch.. Here's the Porterfield prices.. The R4-S Front pads are $279.95 and R4-S rears are $159.95

Last edited:
View attachment 141534

I am sure those OE pads also would come at a really not needed "high premium" from your wallet. Same goes for rotors these days. You can get skinned if you do not realize just how many different offerings / prices are available to you. I dont think the lower priced ceramics tend to cut as fast or easy as some semi metalics do. You have a place near by to inspect and turn your rotors if needed?

NAPA SilentGUARD Front Brake Pads Ceramic
$54.99
Part #: PSG SG8856AX

Save 15% on orders $100+
NAPA SilentGUARD Front Brake Pads Ceramic

The front pads alone are $350 on Rock Auto, or about $500 Canadian. And that's Rock Auto price! The Canadian list price could very well be near $1000

The Mopar rotors are $645 each on Rock Auto, $900 in your money, each, so $1800 for both

So, $1000 for the pads, $1800 for the rotors, and $200 for labor o_O

That's where the $3000 figure comes from :unsure:

The cheapest pads for the Trackhawk are $45 on Rock Auto.

Outside Rock Auto, there's EBC @EBC Brakes UK
Even the NDX Bluestuff is "only" $200 for the set.

The Ultimax Blackstuff pads show up on Autoanything's site as fitting your Trackhawk, but they're not listed on EBC's site. The lowest pads EBC lists for your car is the Yellowstuff.

For the 2-piece rotors

Even DBA costs less than OE Mopar, and that is a rare occurrence :D
I don't know if DBA's outer rotor will fit on the stock 2-piece. If so, you can order just that at $450 each. If not, you can get the full 2-piece DBA for around the same price as the Mopar, but you will only have to buy that once. After that, you can just buy the outer ring.

Here is DBA's part finder

DFC lists a part number for it, nut nobody has it in stock! 910-42040A

Does Mopar sell just the outer piece? Or do they make you buy the full 2-piece rotor in both pieces?

To be fair the reviewer was discussing breaking. 🤣
well, it is a Mopar :sneaky:

Last edited:
What's going on with that intermediate step between the hub and the braking surface and then the bolted-in clips ?

Back