What Oil Should I Use for GMC Yukon 2019 in a VERY HOT Summer

Of course the manual suggests 0W-20 and I’ve followed that (ac delco 0w20) for the last 3 years since it’s new. Last time a mechanic told me I should never use the thin 0w20 since where I live there is no winter and it’s only for US. Our summer is very hot and I mean it reach 50 C (120 F) degrees in July and August. In winter temperature never goes below 3 C or 40 F and that’s even rare. Last time I used the Mobil 1 0W40 Euro but it’s too expensive ($14 Quart) and didn’t notice a difference. Should I try SHELL Helix Fully Synthetic? Or maybe 5W40 or Castro’s Edge 10W-60?

GreySky -

I would recommend this:
- using the prescribed 20 grade, take a few UOAs and see if the wear trends are "normal". If so, don't worry about it.
- if the UOAs come back showing abnormal wear, then perhaps try a 5w-30; much more appropriate for a modern gas engine in a SUV than some thick-as-molasses lube. See what the 30 grade does for you.
- If the 30 grade doesn't come back with "normal" wear, then you've probably got an engine issue and no lube is going to help

Oh - and get a new mechanic. Anyone who recommends a 60 grade for a DD gasser is way too stuck in the "more thicker always better" mode.

0w, 5w, or 10w 30 based on market availability. You don't say where you live but if it's scorching all the time I'd guess the Middle East or Saharan Africa, maybe South Asia.

Of course the manual suggests 0W-20 and I’ve followed that (ac delco 0w20) for the last 3 years since it’s new. Last time a mechanic told me I should never use the thin 0w20 since where I live there is no winter and it’s only for US. Our summer is very hot and I mean it reach 50 C (120 F) degrees in July and August. In winter temperature never goes below 3 C or 40 F and that’s even rare. Last time I used the Mobil 1 0W40 Euro but it’s too expensive ($14 Quart) and didn’t notice a difference. Should I try SHELL Helix Fully Synthetic? Or maybe 5W40 or Castro’s Edge 10W-60?
I have a 19 silverado with the lifetime powertrain warranty through my dealer. As long as you follow the maintenance schedule it’s valid. I just take it to the dealer for service, they use whatever mystery oil they have in their tanks and I sleep sound over it. If their is an oil related failure warranty will take care of it and if the wrong grade is used they are the ones who done it lol. I used to run Mobil 1 and the other higher up oil but I have came to the conclusion over the years….it’s all slick 🙃

GreySky -

I would recommend this:
- using the prescribed 20 grade, take a few UOAs and see if the wear trends are "normal". If so, don't worry about it.
- if the UOAs come back showing abnormal wear, then perhaps try a 5w-30; much more appropriate for a modern gas engine in a SUV than some thick-as-molasses lube. See what the 30 grade does for you.
- If the 30 grade doesn't come back with "normal" wear, then you've probably got an engine issue and no lube is going to help

Oh - and get a new mechanic. Anyone who recommends a 60 grade for a DD gasser is way too stuck in the "more thicker always better" mode.
That’s probably what I’ll do. The 30 seems like the safest bet in all temperatures and it’s widely available and affordable. But Mobil 1 here don’t have this grade here.

I have a 19 silverado with the lifetime powertrain warranty through my dealer. As long as you follow the maintenance schedule it’s valid. I just take it to the dealer for service, they use whatever mystery oil they have in their tanks and I sleep sound over it. If their is an oil related failure warranty will take care of it and if the wrong grade is used they are the ones who done it lol. I used to run Mobil 1 and the other higher up oil but I have came to the conclusion over the years….it’s all slick 🙃
0w, 5w, or 10w 30 based on market availability. You don't say where you live but if it's scorching all the time I'd guess the Middle East or Saharan Africa, maybe South Asia.
You’re right
I would assume GM has heard of the location you live in. Also your vehicle has a cooling system yes?
Yes, I am sure they did but I’ve read in this forum (which helped me a lot) that car manufacturers recommend this for fuel economy and sacrifice the engine longevity. I do care about fuel economy but I care more in protecting my car as long as possible.

“I used to run Mobil 1 and the other higher up oil but I have came to the conclusion over the years….it’s all slick”.

You’re right and I am starting to agree with this. My warranty has just expired so I am on my own now which is why I care to use the best tools for the car.

Anyone recommends Shell (they use natural gas instead of oil) over Castrol or Mobil for a GM car?

You’re right

Yes, I am sure they did but I’ve read in this forum (which helped me a lot) that car manufacturers recommend this for fuel economy and sacrifice the engine longevity. I do care about fuel economy but I care more in protecting my car as long as possible.
It's your vehicle and you can certainly do as you please. You likely wont even see an attributable amount of fuel loss going heavier. But just know that any "extra protection" is a placebo unless you take advice similar to Dnewton's.

This is all that's needed. $3/qt.
IMG_8523.jpg

Back