What oil co. is behind SuperTech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, forgive me if this has been talked about before, but I wanted to re-boot and was curious if there is any more recent knowledge of who makes SuperTech Synthetic oil. I am familiar that WPP (Warren Performance Products) does the packaging for Wal*Mart, but I still haven't come across who's behind the oil. I've read all sorts of things but nothing solid. Thanks all.

It depends on the region.

Some regions are supplied by WPP. Some are supplied by XOM. Citgo also makes it for another region.

The WPP-made ST will say WNE or WPP on the bottom of the bottle.

The Mobil-made ST bottle is the same shape as Mobil Super bottles. Also, the Mobil ST is most likely the same as Mobil Special.

Interesting stuff, I had no idea it could be different based on region. I'm in the New England region, and have a WPP on my synthetic ST bottle. Its definitely good for the wallet that's for sure.

I don't see how the FS. Version of ST. Is this great deal.
Many brand name oils are the same price and many are half the price with rebates although I'm anti rebate. No it isn't bad oil but not a great bargain.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Many brand name oils are the same price and many are half the price with rebates although I'm anti rebate. No it isn't bad oil but not a great bargain.

I had the same observation on the full synthetic version of the product. The conventional is the way to go

How so? A bottle of Super Tech synthetic is $17 and a bottle of Penzoil synthetic is $27...Mobil is $26.95...Castrol is $27. The only major brand oil that is even close is Quaker State at $23. That's almost 40% more.

Personally what I do is I buy the major brands when they are on sale at Walmart...I can usually find Mobil 1 for $23 when its on sale and the same for Castrol and Penzoil, but they're not always on sale (lately they've been though). As for the rebate - I did the Mobil 1 rebate - it's a great thing...bought 30 quarts of it...came out to $2 dollars a quart when it was all said and done, but it took me three months to get my checks and I had to do a little work in the process.

So if you just want something easy, quick and cheap...that probably is a decent oil...super tech seems like a bargain. Like I said, I don't buy it, I buy the stuff that's on sale, but even then I'm still spending a good 30% more for it unless I catch the once a year rebate. And forget the Penzoill rebate, they are famous for stiffing their customers, there's threads on this site a mile long about it.

Last edited:
I received my Pennzoil platinum rebate check in less than three weeks net price per 5qt bottle after rebate was $12.47 =$2.50/qt

You have so many options and free shipping these days.
Chevron and Havoline are even cheaper than ST dino.......
You can pick up Castrol Mag as cheap as ST FS.
Havoline FS and Kendall GT1 often go for $19 on FS.
One place sells GT1 at $22 a 6 pack shipped.
as said Mobil is usually $22 and change and often rebated to death.
Spend $2 more a jug than ST FS and get QSUD....... the lists go on!

Originally Posted By: doublebase

How so? A bottle of Super Tech synthetic is $17 and a bottle of Penzoil synthetic is $27...Mobil is $26.95...Castrol is $27. The only major brand oil that is even close is Quaker State at $23. That's almost 40% more.

Well, there's always this stuff..

5mfe9v.jpg

..and it's a very good oil. I was just at my local WalMart yesterday, and this was the price on the shelf too. Maybe not full synthetic, but still pretty darn close in terms of quality.

Don't get me wrong - SuperTech is certainly good oil, but when it's only a few cents less than Castrol Magnatec, the line gets blurry.

Having said that, I would have absolutely no qualms about running SuperTech synthetic in my Fusion for at least 10,000 miles.

Most of those oils are like $23 on rollback and have $10-$15 in rebates....

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Most of those oils are like $23 on rollback and have $10-$15 in rebates....

Valvoline Synthetic is currently on rollback for $18.98 for a 5qt jug right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back