What kind of oil do you use?

Depends on the car!

I've used major brand and NAPA syn in my Mustang so far.

In wife's Hyundai we almost always use major brand syn. I've used 1 OCI of Magnatec Blend 5w30 (old stock dexos blend)

My Jeep gets syn or blend high mileage oil. Usually Maxlife.

Audi gets major brand euro oil (Castrol, Mobil, or Pennzoil)

Top shelf/Boutique Syn
Major Brand Syn
Major Brand Blend
Major Brand Conventional
Private/Store brand oils

I usually buy major brand Syn oil for change and then a store brand Syn for top offs.

How about you?
PUP 0w-20. Itsa "thick" 20w.

Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc….whatever name brand is on sale, clearance or rebate.

I exclusively used Valvoline for a while and still have a couple jugs left from my pre-inflation stash. Everything has gone up in price so now I’m looking for bargains. I bought 2 jugs today of Pennzoil Platinum for $16.44/each after rebate (check the deals sub-forum).

If no sales, clearance or rebates are going on I’d probably just use the best priced which lately seems to be Quaker State which has recently superseded Havoline in terms of a great deal.

03 deville 4.6, 03 century 3.1, 98 jimmy 4.3, 96 f250 5.8
All get M1 5w 30 EP HM and M1 EP filters.

Also use M1 gear oil, grease, and about to use their dex merc tranny fluid as well.

05 bayliner 3.0 gets amsoil 20/50 with oem filter cause that's what boat mechanic puts.

Really wanna try Royal Purple out.

I've always searched for rebates/sales/etc. And I've done well with that in the past...went two years using my autozone clearance stash (mixture of RGT, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Modern Engine). When that ran out, bought some store brand stuff for a while (Super Tech, Carquest synthetic). Then I went a year using Mobil1 EP 0w20 for three oil changes (30,000 miles total). And right now I'm back using a house brand Amalie synthetic.

But I might just stick with Mobil1 going forward, just buy the EP and stick to 10,000 mile intervals, while making sure the oil level is topped off.

The lowest price oil that meets API standards, and the specifications of the vehicle in question.
Whether that is accomplished in quart containers, 5 quart jugs, or clearance racks is luck of the draw.

AMSOIL , 5W-20 in a 2021 Dodge Challenger 3.6 AWD, wanting to try some runs of HPL
Mobil 1 , 5W-30 in a 2017 Equinox 2.4 Ecotec... wanting to try HPL in it also, to clean it out.

Walmart SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 ($4 a quart when purchased in the 5 quart jug for $19.98).
I prefer to have it delivered to my home with free delivery as I live 20 miles from the nearest Walmart.

Last edited:
Back