What is the maximum reasonable OCI for Mobil 1 5W-30 with Pure One filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 93k mile 99 Saturn SC2 with 1.9L DOHC motor. It doesn't use much oil. I bought it recently. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic (for lower friction/higher fuel economy) and used a double sized Purolator Pure One 20195 on it.

From reading here, it looks like the Mobil 1 should last 12,000 miles without the oil being a problem. I was thinking of changing to a fresh filter after 6,000 mi and having the oil analyzed at that point, and then having it analyzed again at the 12,000 mile mark. I don't drive it hard (rarely over 3,000 RPM), and the avg trip is 20 or 30 miles, typically in 5th gear most of the time, for about 12,000 miles per year.

Any opinions? Anyone else running synthetic use a strategy like this? I'd like to get the better fuel economy of the synthetic, but don't want to waste a bunch of money changing it more often than it needs, and at the same time don't want to ruin the motor trying to save $25 worth of additional oil per yr.

I suspect that since you are running an oversized filter, you can probably get the full 12000 mile run out of the filter, too. (Would be nice since changing the filter on Saturns is such a pain.)

Taking a sample early to be sure is a good idea. You can probably go past 6000 before taking the first sample without concern- I'm thinking 7500 or 8000.

since you bought the car used, this might be the first run with syn, I would change out first run of syn at 7k miles. monitor oil consumption the whole interval since this engine is known to be an oil burner, then you can extend the next oci. A UOA would be nice to make sure nothing is going on
cheers.gif

I would not go 12,000 miles right off the bat without doing an oil analysis. Try something conservative at first, and then extend *IF* it is supported by the analysis.

I typically check oil every gas up, haven't needed to add any, yet. When I got the car it only had 1000 miles on the oil that was in it, but I figured I'd change it early to switch it to synthetic and a better filter. For a Saturn, you can make a drip catcher out of an oil container with one side cut out of it that catches the oil and filter instead of making the usual mess on the frame and axle.

Am I wasting my money changing the filter 1/2 way through like this? My reasoning was that if I'm going to leave the oil in longer, I should try to have excellent filtration for it to try to keep it as "clean" as possible.

Should I consider going 7500 or 8000, and doing the analysis, changing the filter, and going another 7500 or 8000 if all is ok?

I haven't figured out where to send the oil yet for analysis. How much should I expect to pay, and does anyone know of a place in the Chicago area or do you all mail your samples in?

[ November 23, 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: 99SC2 ]

Alot of variables can shorten oil life. Plus... Mobil-1 recommends the 1st OCI to be shortened -- then the 2nd can go the full distance. If your engine is relatively clean & you have purchased the EP, I would change the first one at 7.5K... then take an analysis sample at 7.5K of the 2nd OCI to see how much farther you can go.

Just my opinion! Alot of folks use Lube Control here. It will lengthen oil life... sometimes doubling it. I would include it with the 2nd OCI.

I wouldn't go over 12,000 miles on any oil unless supported by UOAs. I don't think you need to do the first UOA at 6000... you can go longer on a synthetic for sure.

It is a good idea to heed the suggestions of maybe taking it easier on the first run of synthetic in a vehicle.

The filter filtration will actually get better in use, up until the point where it gets too clogged up to function properly- it is difficult to know when that is, but I think most filters are good for much longer than they are used.

Get your UOA from Blackstone, since that is where most people on BITOG get it done. That way it is easy to compare and people are familiar with the results. It costs about $30 with TBN. Amsoil/OAI is only about $20 for the same thing, but seems like people question the accuracy of the results compared to Blackstone.

Based on your driving style, 10-12,000 seems possible. With the first run of synthetic, I would probably change and sample between 6000 and 7500. If the UOA is good, extend the mileage next time. Just change the oil and filter together to save time and hassle.

I tested M1 5W-30 run in a 5.3 Chevy for 7200 miles with a lot of short winter trips. Wear was normal and TBN suggested more life left.

The Saturn I work on would require about 37 makeup quarts over a 12k mile OCI. We do not use synthetics in that one.

Boy, I'm glad I don't have that kind of problem!

Thanks for the replies... I should be good. I'll have to do a search on the Lube Control stuff. I probably should look into running some sort of cleaner thru it at the next change, too.

99SC2, do NOT go the distance on your first fill of synthetic. There will be lots of conventional oil left in the engine that a simple drain will not get out. It varies from engine to engine, but to use an example I'm familiar with: A Nissan VQ engine takes a little over five quarts of new oil when doing an oil and filter change, but it takes a little over seven quarts if the engine has been overhauled and is completely dry. In other words, each oil change is going to leave two full quarts of old, nasty, dirty oil in the engine. You do NOT want to go the distance with that old, worn-out oil in there.

Also, you don't say how many miles you have on the car, but I'd bet it could benefit from a good Auto-Rx cleaning. You can do this with the M1 you already have in there, then run a short OCI on a good dino (Havoline) to rinse all the crud out of it. I bet you'll see a decrease in the amount of oil your engine uses.

Doing this thorough cleaning will set your engine up perfectly for long OCIs with synthetic. Analyze after each OCI to make sure that there aren't any coolant leaks, air filter leaks, fuel dilution or other issues that would preclude longer OCIs, and to start establishing your baseline wear metals.

I know it's frustrating to not be able to jump right in to longer OCIs, but the above steps will ensure a happy experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back