What is my Honda Pilot engine's REAL problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Sorry to hear about your problems. I had a 2001 Honda. Engine died at 10,000 miles. Bought it brand new. Did oil changes every 3,000 miles. Honda would not help or honor warranty. I guess they dont have too.

What was Honda's reason for denying your claim?

Originally Posted By: salv
I work as a service advisor for another dealership network. Even though our manuals claim that the vehicles can go 7500 between oil changes, we advise our customers to follow the severe service schedule of 3750 miles regardless of synthetic or conventional oils, and we make their oil change stickers for 3 months or 3750 miles. If one of our customers insists on going by the maximum OCI, we advise regularly checking the oil level and condition.
If we get a vehicle with a failed motor outside of warranty, even with complete service records, we let our customer's know that we can appeal to the manufacturer, but they are under no obligation to provide assistance.
While our vehicles do not utilize an OLM, we do advise customers whose vehicles do have them, to treat them as a gimmick designed to make people feel like they have a lower maintenance vehicle. They are more of a timer than an exact science. I had an Accord with "15%" oil life come in with engine noise. It was 2 quarts low. Once the oil was changed it was fine.

WOW!!! A common sense post about OCI's. Nice to see. So far haven't seen any from the BITOGER's that insist you must squeeze every dollop of TBN out of your oil or you're "wasting good oil". Like Mike Rowe says...."change your oil"!!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Sorry to hear about your problems. I had a 2001 Honda. Engine died at 10,000 miles. Bought it brand new. Did oil changes every 3,000 miles. Honda would not help or honor warranty. I guess they dont have too.

Yeah, there's got to me more to this.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: kender
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Yeah, there's got to me more to this.
21.gif

LOL I'm calling a typo on this one.
smile.gif
I'll bet he meant 100,000.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
OP can also beg, grovel, cajole, bribe to Trav as he is in the same geographical area.

I can't believe it took 20+ pages to arrive at this solution. Probably not more than a 150 mile drive, and it seems that trav knows more about these problems than the dealer.

Last edited:
Adam,
At 680 miles with the new oil, what does it look like on the stick? Wondering if the new oil is doing any cleaning.

The oil dipstick looks clean today.

I would love to hire Trav to figure this out for me. But first I have an appointment this Friday at 1:30 with the dealer who is going to pull the front cam over so I can take pictures in their service bay so there is no question. They are doing this for free and I appreciate that.

HOWEVER, when I asked the the dealer to check/clean/replace the valve train/solenoid filters in this top end while the vehicle was at the dealer he said his parts list shows no such filter. I wish Trav's pics were up here so I could show them to the dealer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Adam_in_NH
HOWEVER, when I asked the the dealer to check/clean/replace the valve train/solenoid filters in this top end while the vehicle was at the dealer he said his parts list shows no such filter. I wish Trav's pics were up here so I could show them to the dealer.

I believe the filter screen is actually in the oil filter adapter gasket. It's #10 on this diagram:

14sza901_e13.png

Majestic Honda parts

If that doesn't load, it's P/N 15302-RDV-J00.

Yes a common sense reply> Not only do people try to extend oci to the full TBN they brag about it as if they did something!! Sad in a way but common especially here IMHO.
crazy.gif

Not sure if it was mentioned but Trav is the reason many of us use Kreen. He was right, solved my problems just like yours. Here's his thread if you havent read it. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2633718&page=1

Yeah, Trav said it wont work in your case, but it did for mine which was worse. Cleaned my version of the screen too. On the car! Sorry for repeating myself...

I think what your looking for is the "VTC Strainer". Maybe the parts man will understand that. Call and see if that makes sense to them. Or call another Honda dealer randomly, see if you get better luck. I can't find a part number online.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I believe the filter screen is actually in the oil filter adapter gasket. It's #10 on this diagram:

If that doesn't load, it's P/N 15302-RDV-J00.

Thanks very much but this is the gasket that is for the oil filter housing, not a filter associated with the valve train. Trav describes it as follows: This engine has 2 screens one behind the filter pad and one behind the rear head. They are both just 10mm bolt heads and are very easy to get at. Care to take another whack at a different diagram?

Adam I think you should tell this story on every message board going, just because the Honda rep didn't care to see a link to this thread. I'd be on every board out there telling the story. There is also a good chance the mechanic messed with the valve adjustment and made it worse. Just because he's a Honda tech doesn't mean he's any good.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Adam I think you should tell this story on every message board going, just because the Honda rep didn't care to see a link to this thread. I'd be on every board out there telling the story. There is also a good chance the mechanic messed with the valve adjustment and made it worse. Just because he's a Honda tech doesn't mean he's any good.

Thanks I did post this on piloteers.org and I'm waiting to see what happens with my dealer this Friday and with my subsequent call to the Honda America consumer line. If they don't take responsibility for this I'm going to see if I can make it go viral.

Thanks I did post this on piloteers.org and I'm waiting to see what happens with my dealer this Friday and with my subsequent call to the Honda America consumer line. If they don't take responsibility for this I'm going to see if I can make it go viral.

Go for it Adam, the problem is real, and there are enough good mechanics that are aware of it too!

I had a situation with Ford many years back with an intermittent stalling problem that they couldn't resolve, even after sending a so called Ford engineer look at it. 20 tries, I still have the repair orders saved from 1987. I made it my life's mission to get them to buy the van back, w/o a lawyer and no lemon law. The issue here was they'd claim that it wouldn't exhibit a problem when they had it, total [censored]!!!! Who tosses $14,000 in repair attempts when nothing is wrong? Six months later and over $14,000 in warranty work, I got a call from someone high up in Ford corporate asking me what I would like them to do. I got a new van 1 model year newer, and a check for $5,000 from Ford for mods I did to my van. I would make it a point on weekends to legally park there and tell people how the dealership sucked as well as the service department,and Honda. When the manager asked me to leave, I told him to kiss my ..... Or muster up a pair and make me leave.

If I were you, I'd go viral if you get shot down! Good luck!

Go for it Adam, the problem is real, and there are enough good mechanics that are aware of it too!

I had a situation with Ford many years back with an intermittent stalling problem that they couldn't resolve, even after sending a so called Ford engineer look at it. 20 tries, I still have the repair orders saved from 1987. I made it my life's mission to get them to buy the van back, w/o a lawyer and no lemon law. The issue here was they'd claim that it wouldn't exhibit a problem when they had it, total [censored]!!!! Who tosses $14,000 in repair attempts when nothing is wrong? Six months later and over $14,000 in warranty work, I got a call from someone high up in Ford corporate asking me what I would like them to do. I got a new van 1 model year newer, and a check for $5,000 from Ford for mods I did to my van. I would make it a point on weekends to legally park there and tell people how the dealership sucked as well as the service department,and Honda. When the manager asked me to leave, I told him to kiss my ..... Or muster up a pair and make me leave.

That's a great story! It sure pays to be persistent, and that's what I plan to do. If for no other reason then my own addiction to doing what it right.

That's a great story! It sure pays to be persistent, and that's what I plan to do. If for no other reason then my own addiction to doing what it right.

The squeaky wheel gets oiled.

I have tried to stay away from this thread, but it’s like a car accident, you try not to look, but you look anyway. Listen, no offense intended, but it’s your car and your responsibility. 90,000 miles, you’re way out of warranty. Honda has said no, and they’re out. Your Dealer will be nice, but you’re on your on dime. You sort of knew you were pushing it, but you did it anyway, now you want it to be someone else’s fault. Cry, moan and complain all you want, but at the end of the day, it’s your car, your responsibility.

Originally Posted By: DCRamsey
I have tried to stay away from this thread, but it’s like a car accident, you try not to look, but you look anyway. Listen, no offense intended, but it’s your car and your responsibility. 90,000 miles, you’re way out of warranty. Honda has said no, and they’re out. Your Dealer will be nice, but you’re on your on dime. You sort of knew you were pushing it, but you did it anyway, now you want it to be someone else’s fault. Cry, moan and complain all you want, but at the end of the day, it’s your car, your responsibility.

What you say is true, but a Honda should last more than 90K before developing a problem like this. Keep in mind he followed Honda's MM system and had problems. IMO he has all the right in the world to complain. Honda can refuse to fix his engine its their right too, this is what sets up a good fight. Maybe the OP can wear Honda down. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

What you say is true, but a Honda should last more than 90K before developing a problem like this.

I've been following this thread just because it is interesting and I hope the OP gets some results out of this. However...as posted before, if Honda fixes this one there will be a long line of other cars that will want their cars fixed beyond the warranty also. I'm thinking Honda will not warranty this, but I wish the owner all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back