What is considered as 'Optimal' engine oil temperature... ?

I wondered how much cooler the oil would be in Sport Mode. 30 degrees is significant! I run mine in Sport at times that I'm heavy-footed, I figure when it's using its entire 300 horses its not a bad idea to let it run a little cooler. But usually I tool around in the Mid-mode. I understand the most economical mode allows for hotter temps...any idea how much hotter in ECO compared to the Middle selection? Thanks!
I don't have an ECO mode unless the normal mode is an ECO mode which is likely. Leaner running engine runs hotter but with better fuel economy.

I wondered how much cooler the oil would be in Sport Mode. 30 degrees is significant! I run mine in Sport at times that I'm heavy-footed, I figure when it's using its entire 300 horses its not a bad idea to let it run a little cooler. But usually I tool around in the Mid-mode. I understand the most economical mode allows for hotter temps...any idea how much hotter in ECO compared to the Middle selection? Thanks!
My BMW will run coolant at 117c on hwy. on track, 78-80c.

I mostly use imperial units in my day to day life and metric in my work (medical) life and when working on my cars which are metric (Except those 10 mm sockets which can never be found:))
:unsure: What is considered as 'Optimal' engine oil temperature... ? :unsure:

We have several different petrol cars ( VW/Audi/Skoda ) in the family
where the current oil temperature can be read via the on-board computer.

I see that there is quite a large temperature difference between the cars oil temperature
when they are driven on the same road and the same distance under the same conditions.

Is there an optimum oil temperature range for a fully synthetic engine oil
when it works best and the properties of the oil work/perform at their best ? :unsure:

With regard to oil temperature, I think that anything over 212F (100C) is fine. Only when tracked hard to I see temperatures over 230F in my GTI. I try not to get on the car too hard with cold oil, giving it time from a cold start, but it heats up quickly. I'm surprised that your vehicles (All VAG show different temps when driven similarly. Can you post examples?

It'll vary quite a bit between different engines, uses, and oils. A fellow racer drives his twin turbo Mustang all over the country. A few times a year, he drives it 1000+ miles, runs mid-8s 1/4 mile all week, and then 1000+ miles home. Cruising at 70-75 mph and 2200-2500 rpm, his sump temp is ~260°F in the summer with HPL BAS 10W-50.

The doubled rate of degradation every 10°C statement isn't entirely true for engine oils. The exposure to blow-by gases, fuel and water dilution, and ambient air conditions skew that significantly. Burning 1 gallon of gasoline produces 1.033 gallons of water. (C8H18 + O2 = CO2 + H2O) That water is going somewhere. Just because water is a vapor doesn't mean it won't enter the crankcase and condense in the cooler sump, especially after the engine has been shut off. Hence, I like full operating temp to be above water's boiling point (212°F) and the 50% distillation point of pump gasoline (195-210°F).
Dumb question - isn’t the oil a pressurized system? That would mean 212F is no longer the boiling point of water, no?

Edit: I thought about it some more and we are talking engine oil temperature at a single point. It’s much hotter in the combustion chamber and the water is just boiled off and goes through the exhaust. I’m still new to all of this.

Dumb question - isn’t the oil a pressurized system? That would mean 212F is no longer the boiling point of water, no?

Edit: I thought about it some more and we are talking engine oil temperature at a single point. It’s much hotter in the combustion chamber and the water is just boiled off and goes through the exhaust. I’m still new to all of this.
Also, all that oil in the pan isn’t under any pressure at all.

Well, water doesn't need to be boiling to evaporate, so, you don't have to hit 100C to remove the water.

And the only place it has to evaporate is where is it under air, not in the pressurized passages, so, in the cylinder head and pan, the water will evaporate into the ambient air, where it leaves the engine via the PCV system.

The presence of this water is why so many PCV systems plug/gum up. In fact, on the Volvo white block engines, the PCV pipes are heated by coolant to keep the water from condensing back out of the air.

You don't want water to condense into the oil to begin with, not even momentarily. Emulsified water, in just 0.1-0.25% concentration, can compromise MOFT. In localized high heat and pressure areas, the water can flash-vaporize resulting in erosive wear. The water can also breakdown into its constituents and adhere to the surface. (see: hydrogen embrittlement) As far as the oil goes, oxidation increases substantially at even very low concentrated dissolved states of <600 ppm. ZDDP, your primary anti-wear additive, is a phosphate ester which readily hydrolyzes in water, greatly reducing its effectiveness and promoting acidic growth. This is why it's very common to see a multiplicative increase in wear as oil temperature drops. (aside from additive response) Certain EP and AO additives are also readily hydrolyzed in water.

Thus, I don't want to wait for water to evaporate at a lower temperature. When water enters the crankcase as a vapor, it needs to leave as a vapor without any chance to condense, emulsify, or dissolve.

You don't want water to condense into the oil to begin with, not even momentarily. Emulsified water, in just 0.1-0.25% concentration, can compromise MOFT. In localized high heat and pressure areas, the water can flash-vaporize resulting in erosive wear. The water can also breakdown into its constituents and adhere to the surface. (see: hydrogen embrittlement) As far as the oil goes, oxidation increases substantially at even very low concentrated dissolved states of <600 ppm. ZDDP, your primary anti-wear additive, is a phosphate ester which readily hydrolyzes in water, greatly reducing its effectiveness and promoting acidic growth. This is why it's very common to see a multiplicative increase in wear as oil temperature drops. (aside from additive response) Certain EP and AO additives are also readily hydrolyzed in water.

Thus, I don't want to wait for water to evaporate at a lower temperature. When water enters the crankcase as a vapor, it needs to leave as a vapor without any chance to condense, emulsify, or dissolve.
So, you’re advocating for higher oil temperatures as being optimum?

What range would you suggest, then?

What is considered as 'Optimal' engine oil temperature?

An oil temp of roughly 220-230°F (105-110°C). That's why manufacturers
design engines this way. Evaporating oil and moisture and for lower drag.

BUT, this temp is ideal for lower to mid engine loads. For higher loads a
lower coolant and (if possible) oil temp is favourable. Your pistons require
cooling from oil splash since aluminum is not the same high temperature
strength as steel. And higher temps within the combustion chamber lead
to preignition.

For this reason the above "ideal" oil temp presume a somewhat smarter
cooling management, eg three circuits, controlled by the ECU.

That said, the mentioned oil temps and simply oil temps in the sump only.
Oil in bearings is noticeably hotter and oil between cylinder and piston are
much hotter and these temps vary wildly depending on load. Power makes
heat, more power makes more heat. Much more heat.

In conclusion, both metric and imperial systems recommend thicker oil under elevated engine oil temperatures or usage of such as a precaution!

imho, this universal agreement deserves a MOFT day on BITOG.

2019 Ford Super Duty F350SRW LWB using Rotella T6 5w40 empty oil temp is 200-203
Towing my 42 foot 16,000 pound fifth wheel oil temp runs 210-220 depending on hills or flat.

Back