What is considered as 'Optimal' engine oil temperature... ?

I feel like this thread could’ve been interesting but it was really just a waste of 3.7 hectoseconds and I’ve gotta work another megasecond before my next 100 kilo seconds off.

I was very shocked when I first saw how cool the transmission in my Corvette runs. Even after driving it for an hour on the hottest summer day it’s usually still under 130F. It’s the 8 speed automatic and I don’t even think it comes with a trans cooler.

Seems too cool, maybe it’s a vette thing, but I always understood anything below 160 or so keeps the viscosity on the thick side for ideal operation.

Yes of course....it's the standard in science and engineering. It's a funny that an Aussie buddy I worked with used to always say. It still stands that the country that put men on the moon over 50 years ago somehow manages to continue, as a country, to use standard imperial units to the rest of the world's dismay.
I would argue the poor quality of American Cars more of a disgrace than the metric argument. No one hollered in Normandy when Patton came over to liberate Europe about what unit of measurement the Yanks used to stop a mad man.

As opposed to what? Non-synthetic 0W40?
Synblend?

Screenshot_20240627_204043_Brave.jpg

Sorry to be a nag, but there's been a whole lot of "my engine oil runs at" and "my system of measurement can beat up your system of measurement" responses on this thread but precious little technical information related to the OP's question. @RDY4WAR and @930.engineering gave some good answers and I would like to read more like that if at all possible. :)

Sorry to be a nag, but there's been a whole lot of "my engine oil runs at" and "my system of measurement can beat up your system of measurement" responses on this thread but precious little technical information related to the OP's question. @RDY4WAR and @930.engineering gave some good answers and I would like to read more like that if at all possible. :)
Why is what my engine runs at not helpful ?

The original poster's question was what is the "optimal" oil temperature. That's not the same question as what is the average temp of some particular vehicle.
That happened to be operating at the same temperature that actual automotive engineering teams decided was acceptable …

Last edited:
This is where my Hemi Ram sits. Even when temps hit 100 degrees they don’t change very much.
View attachment 227228
Many don't "get it": that there's not a large difference in operating temps as long as ambient temps are not below freezing. Whether 75 degrees or 110 degrees outside...your engine and transmission temps don't vary degree-for-degree. Go up into the mountains where the air molecules are further apart, and you'll have more of a change in oil/coolant/transmission temps.

Back