What is considered as 'Optimal' engine oil temperature... ?

Running on the highway, which is light duty and really the only place to get consistent temperature readouts, I prefer to see 80-90 degrees C. Increase the load and oil temperature goes up a bit, increase rpm and oil temperature goes up a lot.

More important is that the 80°C can be maintained in winter aswell. Note that with 80°C bulk temperature, the oil will be significantly hotter in the piston area and when draining to the sump, more than enough to evaporate all water.

Also note that oil degradation rate doubles for every 10°C rise.

My 6.4 Diesel runs 238° F Pulling heavy.
My 6.7 ran empty 210° F and 240° F with the stock oil pan.
Now with new oil pan it runs 196° F empty and 228° F loaded heavy.
238° F = ~114° C.

Kia Stinger , steady highway cruising oil temp is around 212°-220° F.
212°-220° F = 100°-104.4° C.

My '18 VW Golf-7 Sportwagon 200°-225° F for normal driving varying on ambient. 270° F+ on track.
Remember that the 194° F is a dummy number and it's more of a range.
You don't see the fluctuations but my VW will see up to 235° F before thar gauge moves off 194° F.
200°-225° F = 93.3°-107.2° C.
270° F = 132.2° C.
194° F = 90° C.
235° F = 112.7° C.

In my different VAG cars it is not a dummy number !
The engine oil temperature is measured carefully and changes often and quickly between the individual degrees.
So it is not a dummy signal or a filtered signal.
( I have also verified this with VCDS diagnostics while driving )

I've had the 5.7 in my Jeep up to 244° F driving from Phoenix to Lake Havasu in August with 120° F temps.
In January it's lucky to get to 195.
244° F = ~118° C.
195° F = ~90.5° C.

200° F here in Florida any time of the year.
200° F = 93.3° C.

Running on the highway, which is light duty and really the only place to get consistent temperature readouts,
I prefer to see 80°-90° C.
Increase the load and oil temperature goes up a bit, increase rpm and oil temperature goes up a lot.

More important is that the 80° C can be maintained in winter aswell.
Note that with 80° C bulk temperature, the oil will be significantly hotter in the piston area and when draining to the sump,
more than enough to evaporate all water.

Also note that oil degradation rate doubles for every 10° C rise.
OK.

Last edited:
238° F = ~114° C.

212°-220° F = 100°-104.4° C.

200°-225° F = 93.3°-107.2° C.
270° F = 132.2° C.
194° F = 90° C.
235° F = 112.7° C.

In my different VAG cars it is not a dummy number !
The engine oil temperature is measured carefully and changes often and quickly between the individual degrees.
So it is not a dummy signal or a filtered signal.
( I have also verified this with VCDS diagnostics while driving )

244° F = ~118° C.
195° F = ~90.5° C.

200° F = 93.3° C.

OK.
I am referring to the coolant temp (194) not oil w/r to dummy gauge and I can assure you it's a dummy gauge based on logging. Yes oil displayed is real.

I am referring to the coolant temp (194° F) not oil w/r to dummy gauge and I can assure you it's a dummy gauge based on logging.
Yes oil displayed is real.
Why even bring up the coolant temperature in the thread ? :unsure:
Why write about things that have nothing to do with the question in the thread ? :unsure:

It'll vary quite a bit between different engines, uses, and oils. A fellow racer drives his twin turbo Mustang all over the country. A few times a year, he drives it 1000+ miles, runs mid-8s 1/4 mile all week, and then 1000+ miles home. Cruising at 70-75 mph and 2200-2500 rpm, his sump temp is ~260°F in the summer with HPL BAS 10W-50.

The doubled rate of degradation every 10°C statement isn't entirely true for engine oils. The exposure to blow-by gases, fuel and water dilution, and ambient air conditions skew that significantly. Burning 1 gallon of gasoline produces 1.033 gallons of water. (C8H18 + O2 = CO2 + H2O) That water is going somewhere. Just because water is a vapor doesn't mean it won't enter the crankcase and condense in the cooler sump, especially after the engine has been shut off. Hence, I like full operating temp to be above water's boiling point (212°F) and the 50% distillation point of pump gasoline (195-210°F).

......... Burning 1 gallon of gasoline produces 1.033 gallons of water. (C8H18 + O2 = CO2 + H2O) That water is going somewhere. Just because water is a vapor doesn't mean it won't enter the crankcase and condense in the cooler sump, especially after the engine has been shut off. Hence, I like full operating temp to be above water's boiling point (212°F) and the 50% distillation point of pump gasoline (195-210°F).
I don't think it's really anything to worry about, unless you do a lot of short trip Winter driving. Then you almost never get the oil hot enough to get rid of moisture contamination. If the trips are really short, it can even add to it.

That's when you get that light tan, creamy Mayonnaise on the inside of your oil filler cap, that's conducive with oil and moisture mixing in the engine. Oil does not have to be above 212 F to get rid of moisture. But it helps to accelerate the process if it is.

I don't think it's really anything to worry about, unless you do a lot of short trip Winter driving. Then you almost never get the oil hot enough to get rid of moisture contamination. If the trips are really short, it can even add to it.

That's when you get that light tan, creamy Mayonnaise on the inside of your oil filler cap, that's conducive with oil and moisture mixing in the engine. Oil does not have to be above 212 F to get rid of moisture. But it helps to accelerate the process if it is.
That’s a good point. Water can still evaporate at room temperature but it’s just going to take longer. When I take my Corvette out for a drive on a cold winter day the oil temperature is generally in the 80-90C range. So I make sure I drive it for about an hour and that way I can be more confident that by the time I shut it down there is no water left in the oil.

Electric water pump or thermostat.
BMW does that last 20yrs. Increasing temperature increases efficiency.
When pushing engine, you want more efficient cooling.
Your Stinger has probably fluid heat exchanger, as coolant temperature dr, so will oil temperature. Of course there is limit to it how low it will go. Take it to a track and it will go higher, but, more efficient cooling will buy you time there.
On hwy, that system will save you gas.
Yes the thermostat is electric, water pump I think is standard type. Was quite impressed how the oil temps drop in hot outside temps while loading the engine up.

Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L, using a snap on scanner, coolant 195*f and oil 198*f that is hot summer days, winter is a bit lower.

My Gen Coupe 2L turbo will run at 10F over coolant temp (180-185F) usually after fully warmed up. The other day at 97F and on the interstate it got up to 210F. On the track I usually could not finish the last lap in the session due to oil temps exceeding 300F. In the winter it struggles to get above 160F.

Always wonder what my Accent oil temp was as with OE 180F thermostat it's really a cold blooded iron block engine. And with the manual trans it will lose temp when decelerating in gear. So around town it's always below the tstat opening point.

Why even bring up the coolant temperature in the thread ? :unsure:
Why write about things that have nothing to do with the question in the thread ? :unsure:
That was in response to this post which I quoted...

1000020905.jpg

What's "optimal" has a lot of parts to it. Max fuel economy and least emissions will have it's optimal range. Max engine longevity will have another.

I feel happy if my vehicle's bulk fluid temperatures stay between 180-199F once up to temp. My BITOG PTSD kicks in at over 200F.

It'll vary quite a bit between different engines, uses, and oils.
A fellow racer drives his twin turbo Mustang all over the country.
A few times a year, he drives it 1000+ miles, runs mid-8s 1/4 mile all week, and then 1000+ miles home.
Cruising at 70-75 mph and 2200-2500 rpm, his sump temp is ~260° F in the summer with HPL BAS 10W-50.

I like full operating temp to be above water's boiling point ( 212° F ) and the 50 % distillation point of pump gasoline ( 195°-210° F ).
260° F = 126.6° C.
212° F = 100° C.
I don't think it's really anything to worry about, unless you do a lot of short trip Winter driving.
Then you almost never get the oil hot enough to get rid of moisture contamination

Oil does not have to be above 212° F to get rid of moisture.
But it helps to accelerate the process if it is.
OK.
When I take my Corvette out for a drive on a cold winter day the oil temperature is generally in the 80°-90° C range.
OK.

Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L, using a snap on scanner, oil temperature 198° F
that is hot summer days, winter is a bit lower.
198° F = 92.2° C.

My Gen Coupe 2L turbo will run at 10° F over coolant temp ( 180°-185° F ) usually after fully warmed up.
The other day at 97° F and on the interstate the engine oil temperature got up to 210° F.
On the track I usually could not finish the last lap in the session due to oil temp exceeding 300° F.
In the winter it struggles to get above 160° F.

Always wonder what my Accent oil temp was as with OE 180° F thermostat it's really a cold blooded iron block engine.
And with the manual trans it will lose temp when decelerating in gear.
So around town it's always below the thermostat opening point.
210° F = 98.9° C. ( summer )
300° F = 148.9° C. ( track )
160° F = 71° C. ( winter )

We can all do the math between degrees C and degrees F. Why do you keep posting that?

The oil cooler thermostats on several of my cars open at 85C. Clearly, that’s the point at which those manufacturers think the oil should start being cooled.

At 85-90C, the oil is warm enough to drive off moisture and flow well, but not so hot as to thin out, particularly in the turbos.

Back