What is considered as 'Optimal' engine oil temperature... ?

Yes, very strange.
Probably taking exception to our usage of Freedom units and converting to those Canadian units instead. :ROFLMAO:

Might just be translating so they can think about it more easily. Recently I’ve been trying to use metric in a new program and I find myself putting the unit of measurement that I understand in parentheses after the metric one,

We can all do the math between degrees C and degrees F. Why do you keep posting that?

The oil cooler thermostats on several of my cars open at 85C. Clearly, that’s the point at which those manufacturers think the oil should start being cooled.

At 85-90C, the oil is warm enough to drive off moisture and flow well, but not so hot as to thin out, particularly in the turbos.
Are those radiator type oil coolers? Most of those are 105c to 120c.

The Kia Stinger is interesting. Steady highway cruising at 1200rpm the oil temp is higher around 212 to 220

Spirited driving and in very high ambient temps the oil temp is below 212
Higher RPMs more volume of oil flowing and cooling? Just a thought, not sure if accurate.

We can all do the math between degrees C and degrees F.
Why do you keep posting that ?
Around the world we talk according to the METRIC-system in everything that has to do with units...
...talking, for example, Farenheit is therefore both wrong and outdated !

Yes, very strange.
⬆️

Probably taking exception to our usage of Freedom units and converting to those Canadian units instead.
Might just be translating so they can think about it more easily.
The METRIC-system is an INTERNATIONAL-system
It's just a shame that grumpy Americans and some backward-looking Englishmen don't want/can't accept it ! 😵‍💫

In all fairness, the entire world is on the metric system.
The US and only two other countries still cling to the old system 🤦‍♂️
👏 Bulls Eye ! 👏
The 'METRIC'-system is far superior to the 'IMPERIAL'-system.

Around the world we talk according to the METRIC-system in everything that has to do with units...

⬆️

It's just a shame that grumpy Americans don't want/can't accept it !

👏 Bulls Eye ! 👏
I'm cool with metric and as a scientist I use it all the time and go between imperial/metric. I however don't feel the need to type out conversions in forum posts because I don't like the poster's chosen units. The majority of users on this U.S.-based forum use imperial so its not odd that most post in those units...so are your bolded conversions a passive-aggressive attempt a scolding "grumpy Americans"?

IBL

Last edited:
There are two types of people in this world. Those that walked on the moon and those that use the metric system.
I saw a remark on Twitter recently that there are two groups of countries in the world, those who use the metric system, and those who have been to the moon. It's a cute remark, but it's not really true. All the calculations in the AGC, were done in metric units. However, since the astronauts were all air-force pilots who were used to feet per second and nautical miles, the units were converted for the display on the AGC. That's why if you listen to the moon landing, or read the transcript, you'll find things like "30 feet". But the computer was doing all its calculations in metric, since they are a lot simpler. You can read more details at the UK Metric Association including some extracts from the source code showing all the constants in metric such as the thrust in Newtons or the fuel burn-rates in kilograms per centisecond.

Since 2007, NASA has done ALL operations in the metric system.
And this is why:

Yes of course....it's the standard in science and engineering. It's a funny that an Aussie buddy I worked with used to always say. It still stands that the country that put men on the moon over 50 years ago somehow manages to continue, as a country, to use standard imperial units to the rest of the world's dismay.

I'm cool with metric and as a scientist I use it all the time and go between imperial/metric. I however don't feel the need to type out conversions in forum posts because I don't like the poster's chosen units. The majority of users on this U.S.-based forum use imperial so its not odd that most post in those units...so are your bolded conversions a passive-aggressive attempt a scolding "grumpy Americans"?

IBL
OK.

I was very shocked when I first saw how cool the transmission in my Corvette runs. Even after driving it for an hour on the hottest summer day it’s usually still under 130F. It’s the 8 speed automatic and I don’t even think it comes with a trans cooler.
At 130 degrees the fluid is probably a 40w oil.

⬆️

It's just a shame that grumpy Americans and some backward-looking Englishmen don't want/can't accept it ! 😵‍💫

👏 Bulls Eye ! 👏
Your condescension is noted, as are your political criticism and regional bias. You came to an American site, and then proceeded with your condescension towards Americans, and this rant about how another culture is wrong and outdated.

This thread will remain open, but your replies will not.

Last edited:
Are those radiator type oil coolers? Most of those are 105c to 120c.
Those are all oil-air coolers, on various previous cars, and on the twin-turbo V-12 equipped cars in my signature.

For a oil-water (coolant) oil cooler, I would expect oil temps just above normal coolant temp.

To be honest, I prefer the extra complexity of the air/radiator coolers, because you can get a lower operating temp for the oil.

In a similar vein, all of the transmission oil coolers that I have installed on various cars use a Derale Oil Thermostat. It opens at 180F (82C).

Which suggests that most folks want their oil temps in the mid 80C range, just like Volvo and Mercedes engineered in their turbo cars.

Last edited:
Below smoke point. 😆

The oil must get hot enough to vaporize and evacuate water condensate.

When zipping up mountains in the Mini in the summer heat the oil reaches 115°C/239°F but tops out at 95°C/203°F in Sport Mode thanks to a richer mix and the cooling system at max.

2023 Amg Cla45 2.0 sees 167F, low 220F track. 2024 FL5 R 2.0 sees 180F, 240-250F track. Wife's 2024 GLB 35 2.0 sees 230-240 on road trips.

Last edited:
255 (shall i convert for the Farenheitily-challenged?) here on a cool down lap.

1000020949.jpg

When zipping up mountains in the Mini in the summer heat the oil reaches 115°C/239°F but tops out at 95°C/203°F in Sport Mode thanks to a richer mix and the cooling system at max.
I wondered how much cooler the oil would be in Sport Mode. 30 degrees is significant! I run mine in Sport at times that I'm heavy-footed, I figure when it's using its entire 300 horses its not a bad idea to let it run a little cooler. But usually I tool around in the Mid-mode. I understand the most economical mode allows for hotter temps...any idea how much hotter in ECO compared to the Middle selection? Thanks!

Back