What brand of oils do we KNOW work well..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughters Focus purs like a kitten on Mobil 1 5W-20. It seems to really like it, I feel like Im getting every horse available. My Sequoia seems to really like Mobil 1 0W-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Now all of the modern Engines Toyota has come out from I4's to V8's will produce single digit wear numbers pretty consistently with any OCI that is 6 months or less and any mileage from 1000-10,000 miles as long as it is in a 6 month time frame. For some reason when people push them to 9 months or longer the wear metals jump up drastically even on that great 4.7 V8 of their's!

I have been running Redline 5W-30 in my 2005 Sequoia starting at 5k and now have over 80k. The only non-stellar UOA I have ever had was on a normal 10k interval that spanned 13 months instead of my usual 6-7 months.

Valvoline 5w-30 was the only oil my old 1989 Cavalier did not burn. My 99 Trans Am is quiter running on Pennzoil Synthetic 5w-30 than it was on Mobil 1 5w-30. My current Cavalier(2001) and my Toyota Tacoma 3.4 v-6 (2004) run great on Kendall 5w-30 blend but they run just as well on Mobil 5000, PYB and Havoline. I have never seen a difference in my vehicles gas milage between synthetic vs. conventional motor oil.

Redline and GC 0W-30 run great in my german cars [ especially the BMW's ]

M1 TDT / Delvac 1 5W-40 is also excellent

I also run Pennzoil Platinum, Eneos, Valvoline Synpower and can find nothing wrong with them... but Redline, GC, TDT are my favorites

Originally Posted By: BerndV
I have been running Redline 5W-30 in my 2005 Sequoia starting at 5k and now have over 80k. The only non-stellar UOA I have ever had was on a normal 10k interval that spanned 13 months instead of my usual 6-7 months.

Non-stellar in what way? That Sequoia has a V8 in it?

GC is the best for an oil in its price range.

Redline is the best for a high dollar oil.

But, RTS 5W-40 is king in my mind.

I run GC in the same engine as your I30 (2k Maxima VQ30) and it works great in that engine. I did find though that M1 10w30 works well in the same engine. Car runs awesome on GC though. Have not tried PP 5w30, IMO that is too thin for the VQ. I have seen UOAs posted on Altimas.net for the VQ35 and it liked thicker oil (GC)

M1 0W-30 W/M1-110 in my 04' Miata -12K 2-changes per year for warranty
M1 5W-20 W/M1-110 in my '06 Civic -75K changed every 5K because it makes me feel good-commuter car, lots of traffic & heat/ac use
M1 5W-20 W/M1-104 in my '02 Accord -55K -wife's car, driven less than 5k per year, changed annually
M1 10W-30 in my Toro Mower-10 yrs old - changed once a year when I put it away for the winter
M1 5W-30 in my Craftsman Snowblower - 2 years old -changed once a year when I put it away in the spring
Used Amsoil 10W-40AMO in my '66 Corvair because it was the ONLY oil I could find with (advertised) 12-1300ppm zinc & phosphorous
(flat tappet engine) Used WIX 51038 filters-changed once a year.

Have NEVER added oil between changes, never needed to.

Never had an oil-related problem with any of them. Switched from 5W-30 M1 to 0W-30 M1 in my Miata and the lifter noise at startup (less than 2-3 sec) is now non-existent.

I fully realize that with most any of the quality synthetics, PP, German Castrol, Redline, etc, I would have similar results when used with a quality filter, but I can get M1 pretty much anywhere on the road if i need it, The local Advance/Pep Boys/Autozone et al all seem to run it on special, 5qts of M1 & an M1 filter for about $30 on a regular basis, that's $5 a quart and $5 for one of the best filters(IMHO), kinda hard to beat that.

St Craig:

What mileage on your OCIs and have you ever had a UOA done on the GC or M-1 runs?

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: BerndV

Non-stellar in what way? That Sequoia has a V8 in it?

Yes, it has the 4.7L V8. Non-stellar as in significantly higher iron and copper and a TBN of 0.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back