Well, I jumped on the ecoboost bandwagon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Soggydog
Nice ride!!
We got 8 -2.7 ecoboost short bed, reg cabs in our fleet a work. That's an impressive engine. Runs as well as any stock v8 pickup I've ever driven.
My 6.7 has the plastic pan, no problems in 58,000 miles. The plug can be removed by hand, but when you do the 1" drain hole really flows. I performed my first 2.7 eb oil change Monday and it's the same way. I thought maybe it was just the 13 qts pushing it out of the diesel but it rushes out just as fast on the 6 qt 2.7 ecoboost. Made a mess this time, I'll go into it a little more prepared next time.

Removing the oil pan plug by hand is kind of convenient. I haven't experienced it first hand yet.

I guess the larger diameter drain hole is something I should be careful with when I change it.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Have any of these twin turbo Ford trucks hit 150k miles yet? Just wondering. Honestly.

I'm sure there are some out there. Who knows?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Because the 5.0 will sound better with Flowmaster and a resonator delete

My number one issue! Nothing sounds like a V8. My buds 2.7 egoboost makes some really strange noises, bleeding off boost and such.

Of course it runs great new, lets give it a few years...

Yeeeeah. I really want to take the muffler and resonator out, but think it might sound like poo.

I hope it runs great for life haha!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I know its an Eco Boost and all but a 2.7L engine in a truck? man... I wouldn't try actually using it as a truck too much...

Meh. We'll see. I'm moving a trailer Monday.

Congrats! I wouldnt worry too much about the cartridge filter. The first time I changed one I was a little nervous (mini cooper) but it turned out to be simple. A trick though was to just barely crack the cap, enough for the oil to drain back into the pain.

The composite pan is strange, I saw the new 3.5L has some kind of "two piece" pan, with steel and composite, so they must have faith in it.

I know someone with an edge sport with the 2.7L Eco motor, has 25,000 miles on it and no issues so far.

Beautiful truck, beautiful color.....with the exception of the DC A/T in the Focus/Fiesta, Ford really has their act together.

Is it aluminum bodied?

What was the sticker price?

Good Luck.

Originally Posted By: tomcruise
I know its an Eco Boost and all but a 2.7L engine in a truck? man... I wouldn't try actually using it as a truck too much...

Meh. We'll see. I'm moving a trailer Monday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQQGYJCG65E

The 2.7L SCAB towed up a mountain like a champ.

I suppose you think a V8 is more suitable? Like say, the 4.6? 'Cause a 2010 3V 4.6 made 292 HP at 5700 RPM and 320 lb ft of torque at 4000 RPM. Whereas the 2.7 Ecoboost makes 325 HP at 5750 RPM and 375 lb ft of torque at 2500 RPM. So what advantage does a bigger engine have, exactly?

Originally Posted By: exranger06

I suppose you think a V8 is more suitable? Like say, the 4.6? 'Cause a 2010 3V 4.6 made 292 HP at 5700 RPM and 320 lb ft of torque at 4000 RPM. Whereas the 2.7 Ecoboost makes 325 HP at 5750 RPM and 375 lb ft of torque at 2500 RPM. So what advantage does a bigger engine have, exactly?

Dunno. But Ford seems to think people who tow "a lot" should stick with a V8, and that the EcoBoost is for people who tow less. What is more and what is less is subject to debate, of course.

Quote:
F-150 buyers who regularly tow heavy trailers are advised to choose the V-8 engine, says Doug Scott, marketing manager-Ford truck group.

“The 3.5L EcoBoost is best when you have a mix of light use and some towing,” Scott recommends. “We’ll be giving the same advice for the ’17 model.”

The auto start/stop feature scared the [censored] out of me the first time I drove it. Brand new truck dies at busy intersection waiting on a red light....as soon as I grabbed the shifter to restart it, it started it's self.

Originally Posted By: supton

Dunno. But Ford seems to think people who tow "a lot" should stick with a V8, and that the EcoBoost is for people who tow less. What is more and what is less is subject to debate, of course.

Quote:
F-150 buyers who regularly tow heavy trailers are advised to choose the V-8 engine, says Doug Scott, marketing manager-Ford truck group.

“The 3.5L EcoBoost is best when you have a mix of light use and some towing,” Scott recommends. “We’ll be giving the same advice for the ’17 model.”

I guess actually producing more hp/L probably results in more wear? Now I'm sure the ecoboosts are built to handle producing more hp/L but maybe they aren't quite as tough as the V8 for just cranking out 150hp for hour after hour? Or perhaps the ecoboost FE isn't as good under towing as the V8?
It seems unusual that Ford would even say anything about engine choice other than their tow ratings.

I know I've read of how they guzzle while towing. I presume they run rich to prevent damage. I don't think that is a function of being boosted, but perhaps ultimately cylinder pressures are just too high for prolonged usage, so they run rich so as to be able to be used at prolonged usage--but if your intent was towing more than say 50% of the time, perhaps the mpg savings while towing would indicate the V8.

21.gif

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

I know someone with an edge sport with the 2.7L Eco motor, has 25,000 miles on it and no issues so far.

Well that's good to hear!

Originally Posted By: pbm
Beautiful truck, beautiful color.....with the exception of the DC A/T in the Focus/Fiesta, Ford really has their act together.

Is it aluminum bodied?

Good Luck.

Before any discounts, $41,805

I know I've read of how they guzzle while towing. I presume they run rich to prevent damage. I don't think that is a function of being boosted, but perhaps ultimately cylinder pressures are just too high for prolonged usage, so they run rich so as to be able to be used at prolonged usage--but if your intent was towing more than say 50% of the time, perhaps the mpg savings while towing would indicate the V8.

21.gif

Towing will be very occasional.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Quote:

I guess actually producing more hp/L probably results in more wear? Now I'm sure the ecoboosts are built to handle producing more hp/L but maybe they aren't quite as tough as the V8 for just cranking out 150hp for hour after hour? Or perhaps the ecoboost FE isn't as good under towing as the V8?
It seems unusual that Ford would even say anything about engine choice other than their tow ratings.

That is kind of interesting actually.

Originally Posted By: Soggydog
The auto start/stop feature scared the [censored] out of me the first time I drove it. Brand new truck dies at busy intersection waiting on a red light....as soon as I grabbed the shifter to restart it, it started it's self.

I thought I got hit the first time I experienced it.

Quote:

That makes no sense. I've always figured the Eco was the ticket for people that towed a lot. If it's not for heavy towing I'm not sure of it's purpose. The 5.0 has all sorts of power for running around town. It just doesn't have the low end torque. If you're racing between lights I'm sure you don't have a problem spinning the engine a little to get to the 5.0's power.

Makes sense to me. Most half-tons are rarely worked, let alone at their limits (inflated or not). Thus if you have to play the CAFE game while competing you might as well trim a corner or two. EB can tow but its likely designed to be optimized for the typical half-ton usage. Which is commuting, stop light racing, and the occasional stuff to the gills towing.

If it was meant to be used at full tilt all the time then I suspect it'd be just like every other engine that is used across the board--and detuned in the bigger trucks.

Is the EB in the F250/F350 class?

Originally Posted By: tomcruise
Originally Posted By: pbm

Is it aluminum bodied?

Good Luck.

Before any discounts, $41,805

$42,000 for a mid-trim half ton pickup?
shocked.gif
God and goddess, I want to run away screaming now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back