Waterproof locks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have two pu trucks.
Even with bi yearly lube,Two locks have to be cut off again.
Can someone please recommend locks that are waterproof for hanging under our trocks to secure our spare tires?
Live in Chicago so water/salt is an issue.
Thanks

I'd look for a solid brass or stainless steel lock. I can't imagine any padlock that was smeared with anti-seize over the end getting corroded to the point of being rendered useless.

The cap cover that ksjoe linked to looked decent.

Well,
I've already have a Rottie.
I've tried different locks,the two are Master with the covering.
I 'm hoping to break the 2 1/2 cycle with the holy grail of waterproof locks.

I have a Sargent, solid brass body padlock, that I use occasionally to lock up my atv. It hasn't seen alot of salt(some) but its been sitting in water for months at a time, frozen, laying on the sometimes damp gravel floor of my tarp garage for months... It's not waterproof but I lubed it maybe 5 years ago, and works fine today. Its 20 years old and probably thats why it still works...
The hoop is around 3/8" thick and it fits 2 links of my 3/8ths logging chain. Maybe you can find one at a garage sale or an old locksmith shop.
Ian

I was looking through a locksmithing book I have and they show a Master "Weather Tough" padlock which may be suitable. Googling also brought up this series of padlocks.

They mention that they are designed to channel water and debris away from the locking mechanism and I noticed they have a swing door on them for the keyhole. I don't know if it would defeat the drain feature but if it did not then I suppose if one smeared a tiny bit of RTV silicone around the perimeter of that swing door after locking, it may help keep the lock functional. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back