Watches

I have a watch collection. I've always been fascinated with the tiny machines we wear to measure time. Currently I have several high end Swiss made watches and even more moderately priced Japanese watches. I alternate wearing them so I have lots of experience comparing the 'quirks and features' of each.

My overall impression is that the Swiss make watches like Mercedes/BMW make cars. Very expensive, complicated, need lots of service and can be unreliable.

OTOH the Japanese make fine time pieces that run well with minimal service, almost Toyota like. Yes some Japanese watches are very expensive (Grand Seiko, Citizen caliber 0100, Orient Royal Star) but generally most are affordable.

I'm still a Swiss watch fan however and am looking to add a Hamilton Khaki and Tissot (had one for 30 years) to my collection.

BTW my best watch is a Breitling Aerospace.

Are you interested in horology?

We've had a number of interesting watch threads here on BITOG over the years.

The only Swiss watch I own is a Zenith El Primero which I got from my parents as a wedding gift. It sits in a box somewhere. I'm uncomfortable wearing such an expensive piece of jewelry on my wrist, subject to easy damage.

I've got a few $100-$200 Orient automatics that I wear sometimes for nicer occasions, as well as a couple of cheap Casio beater watches that I wear when I know there is a high risk of sustaining some damage, or when I don't have the time to set the time on my automatics.

I wore a watch until around 2000 and then a flip phone I carried took care of the need of telling time.

My interest is back in analog/mechanical ones them after gifted an Apple Watch which I realized I just use the analog face although it does have a temp showing in it.

You're all going to laugh at me but here it goes anyways. I have watches from Bulova, Lessy, Officina del Tempo, North Eagles and Tissot to name a few.

The most reliable watch I own is a Swatch; Nothing fancy but reliable with little to no maintenance. (Just like my Asian vehicles OP!)

Last edited:
Big fan of mechanical watches. I have a number of vintage Hamiltons, Bulovas, Seikos, Timex, Gruens, and a 1946 Rolex. I also like mass produced quartz watches from Casio and Timex. Bang for the buck, they are hard to beat.

I used to work with a guy that had a Patek Philipe. He never flaunted it and that was before I knew what it was. It seemed kinda nice but plain Jane. I would have been stunned if he told me what it was worth.

Very interested, I have a modest collection of Swiss timepieces.

I also have (What I consider the worlds coolest clock) that is the closest thing man has yet invited to perpetual motion. (there's a bitog challenge in here for sure)

Most guys with Pateks have a Calatrava which to be honest is pretty boring and says you have some money but aren't that interesting.

UD

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
We've had a number of interesting watch threads here on BITOG over the years.

The only Swiss watch I own is a Zenith El Primero which I got from my parents as a wedding gift. It sits in a box somewhere. I'm uncomfortable wearing such an expensive piece of jewelry on my wrist, subject to easy damage.

I've got a few $100-$200 Orient automatics that I wear sometimes for nicer occasions, as well as a couple of cheap Casio beater watches that I wear when I know there is a high risk of sustaining some damage, or when I don't have the time to set the time on my automatics.

The El Primero is a superb movement. Its more rugged than it seems.

UD

I have a Hamilton khaki that's currently on a nato strap because I wore out the leather band it came with. Good watch. I'm currently waiting for a spot to open up with a guy to do some work on my dad's old Seiko 6105 diver. The rest are my casios

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Most guys with Pateks have a Calatrava which to be honest is pretty boring and says you have some money but aren't that interesting.

Funny, I'd say your typical Datejust owner is the one who has money but aren't that interesting. IMO, a Calatrava is the quintessential dress watch.

My most recent (and largest) watch purchase is an Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. I haven't even had the bracelet sized but I just got word my local AD is open again.

I have a couple Hamiltons and a few Seikos as well.

I enjoy wearing chronos and divers. I had a few false starts with Tag Heuer Carrera chronos that I purchased and sold before I finally decided to take the plunge on the Moonwatch.

I'm eyeing up a new diver for my next purchase. I really like the Christopher Ward Trident C60 Pro 600, but their quality issues give me pause. An Omega Seamaster 300M is high on the list, though a friend just purchased one. I really think I'm going to end up with a Tudor Black Bay of some variety.

I'd love to add a Grand Seiko to the collection. I think their case finishing is second to none and their spring drive movement is super interesting. I'm most interested in their dress watches and I just don't wear a dress watch. Hard to justify that pruchase.

I have a big, square clock in the kitchen that occasionally cooks stuff...

I have worn a watch all my life. Everyday watch is a good old Timex and my dress watch is a Citizen solar. That is fancy enough for me.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Originally Posted by UncleDave

Funny, I'd say your typical Datejust owner is the one who has money but aren't that interesting. IMO, a Calatrava is the quintessential dress watch.

My most recent (and largest) watch purchase is an Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. I haven't even had the bracelet sized but I just got word my local AD is open again.

I have a couple Hamiltons and a few Seikos as well.

I enjoy wearing chronos and divers. I had a few false starts with Tag Heuer Carrera chronos that I purchased and sold before I finally decided to take the plunge on the Moonwatch.

I'm eyeing up a new diver for my next purchase. I really like the Christopher Ward Trident C60 Pro 600, but their quality issues give me pause. An Omega Seamaster 300M is high on the list, though a friend just purchased one. I really think I'm going to end up with a Tudor Black Bay of some variety.

I'd love to add a Grand Seiko to the collection. I think their case finishing is second to none and their spring drive movement is super interesting. I'm most interested in their dress watches and I just don't wear a dress watch. Hard to justify that pruchase.

I understand why a datejust owner could get the the same label, or even a submariner.

I dont think the Calatravas are all created equal in terms of being a "quintessential dress watch", my dad has the hobnail version. I dont even think its a good looking time piece.

A guy that buys himself a calatrava 5196 could have any number of cooler more complex pieces around the same amount of money, but settles for a zero/ no complication watch - " because its a Patek."

Thats the cool thing about watches though isnt it ... there's something for every budget and taste!

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

Here's one you may be interested in. Circa 1962, United States Steel. Clairton PA works retirement watch. Hamilton, Swiss movement, Mechanical Self Winder.

You won't find this one in any catalog, just similar.

I'd be willing to part with it. This one opens via the crystal, has been serviced, but still gains a little time. The band is not original.

Back