Watches and an itch I may need to scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the black dial better.
Both dials are black. In the outdoor picture the strong sunlightb makes the all-black dial look charcoal grey. The subdials on the reverse panda dial are actually not white but metallic champagne colored. The legibility of the subdials on both dials is practically the same as you got white hands and indices on black vs black hands and black indices on slightly reflective near white.

Almost all my watches have black dials and most of my chronographs have black dials with black subdials. Thats why I may swap out the black dial in the Breitling for the reverse Panda. Also, the tritium lume on the all-black dial has lost its luminescence over time while I have had the reverse panda dial relumed with C3 Superlumininova. The latter lume is what Breiting strated using in 2000 when they switched from tritium lume to non-radioactive lume. When the Chronomat originally was released it was commonn for people to buy extra dials and hands to have them swapped out later during a service.

I've had this watch for 25 years. I bought it used after I got paid obscenely well for a somewhat shady job in the restaurant industry. I was in my early twenties and took a different career path after that. This watch brings back a lot of memories. First great job, a lot of traveling, meeting my future wife, and so on. It's time for a refresh.

I've never understood the fascination/interest in watches. A former coworker of mine used to collect all kinds of watches....some very expensive. For me it's just a tool. I wear a Bulova my wife bought me. If it was up to me a cheap Timex would have been just fine. Besides, I always scratch the heck out of them anyway.
There are things that fascinate me endlessly about watches.

Watch movements are the ultimate high-precision mechanical micro machines made from often hundreds of parts that all have to work perfectly. The history of watchmaking and the technology behind it goes back to the invention of the hairspring balance by Huygens in 1675 and after continuous refinement after hundreds of years of development and refinement and the use of new materials continues. There are now near-friction-less components that no longer require lubrication. Technology alone is fascinating to me. But there is also the fact that a ticking watch is like a miniature heart ticking away and measuring something that does not really exist but that is of such significance in daily life.

A typical 4Hz movement's balance wheel oscillates 686,400 every day. The average human heart beats only about 103,000 times every day.

Last edited:
There are things that fascinate me endlessly about watches.

Watch movements are the ultimate high-precusiin mechanical micro machines made from often hundreds of parts that all have to work perfectly. The history in watchmaking and the technology behind it goes back to the invention of the hairsoring balance by Huygens in 1675 and after continuous refinement after hundreds of years development and refinement and the use of new materials continues. There are now near-friction less components that no longer require lubrication. The technology alone is fascinating to me. But there is also the fact that a ticking watch is like a miniature heart ticking away and measuring something that does not really exist but that is of such significance in daily life.

A typical 4Hz movenent's balance wheel oscillates 686,400 every day. The average human heart beats only about 103,000 times every day.
That was interesting. Thanks for the post.

I don't get how people aren't fascinated by watches and how such a complex thing can be so small and yet so interesting. I'm not talking about wrist computers. I'm talking about actual watches, with gears and springs and jewels. Fascinating things that in the hands of the right person, like my uncle, can be made to keep exceptionally accurate time. Bonus points for a case that lets you watch the movement working.

Since I was talking about watches with mechanical movement, whether they are hand-wound or automatic, I should address electric and quartz watches and how I feel about them.

A little electric/electronic/quartz watch history

Electric watches like the 1957 Hamilton Ventura and electronic watches like the original Bulova Accutron from 1960 are fascinating and they predate quartz watches. The Accutron has an ingenious electronic component called a tuning fork. This system of timekeeping was first developed for use in the navigation systems of satellites and spacecraft, including the Apollo spacecraft.

While the first quartz watch was built by a Canadian inventor in 1927 (!), Seiko was the first company to mass-produce a quartz watch, the Astron, in 1969. Because quartz modules could be much more cheaply produced than mechanical calibers, the so-called Quarts CVrisis of the 1970s and early 1980s did great harm to the Swiss watch industry. Many storied watch companies went under while others adapted and jumped on the quarts bandwagon.

Hamilton/Omega released the first digital watch with an LED display in 1971. This watch can be seen on JB's writs in 1972's Live and Let Die. The high energy consumption of LED displays led to the development of the LCD display. Grue released the first LCD watch in 1972. This watch contained a Seiko module.

The first solar-powered wristwatch was made by Riehl in 1968 and first mass-produced in 1972. It was called the Synchronar and it was an LED quartz watch.

The first kinetic (a mechanical rotor powers a quarts module) was shown by Seiko in 1986.

Seiko introduces Spring Drive in 1999. This is a movement that is mechanically driven by a mainspring but controlled by a quartz module.

While fascinating in many regards pertaining to the technologies involved and the astonishing miniaturization and accuracy, I am neither attracted nor attached to quartz watches as much as I am to mechanical watches. I have several quartz watches, including digital, analog-digital, and analog, and I use them for various purposes based on matter or practicality. But my passion for watches rests with watches with mechanical movements.

I don't get how people aren't fascinated by watches and how such a complex thing can be so small and yet so interesting. I'm not talking about wrist computers. I'm talking about actual watches, with gears and springs and jewels. Fascinating things that in the hands of the right person, like my uncle, can be made to keep exceptionally accurate time. Bonus points for a case that lets you watch the movement working.
When I was little my Dad had a Chronoswiss with an exhibition case back. I remember staring at the intricate parts and listening to the sound of the balance and the ticking of the escapement. I got my first automatic at age 10. It was a Citizen. I still remember the unique boing-boing sound the balance wheel made.

I have been partial to this particular Timex watch for about 20 years. I have had to buy a couple over the years, mostly because I wear and abuse them, but I just like how they look and they wear nice. I prefer the expandable metal band. Not flashy like a lot of them here, though Timex does produce this same watch in gold, maybe I should have a going to town watch also.

8111yj0YDBL._AC_AC_SY350_QL30_.jpg

I've gone almost exclusively to Velcro closing bands. With a typical strap you have your choice of too tight or too loose. With the Velcro you can hit that just right in-between spot. Most people probably aren't as picky about getting the band just right though.

I l,ove NATO straps because they make the watch head loss-proof should a spring bar break and because they allow me to wear the watch over a trisuit/wetsuit sleeve. NATO straps are also impervious to water and almost unbreakable and they come in many colors and designs. I do have some nice leather straps and very few metal wristbands. I have one bund strap that I like on only two watches. I absolutely loathe dress watches and gold watches.

Last edited:
I currently have three watches. One was a wedding gift, one was bequeathed to me, and one I purchased. Lately, and I don't know why, I've had an itch I just may need to scratch, and I want to buy myself a really nice watch.

1. 41mm Tag Heuer Link WT5110 Automatic from around 2000. This was a wedding gift and it's been my go-to daily watch for 23 years. It's been serviced twice, keeps time like a champ, it has been with me through thick and thin, and I love it for its nostalgic value to me but I'm kinda bored with it.

View attachment 138704

2. 36mm Rolex Datejust Black Dial Thunderbird Model 16253 from 1987. This was bequeathed to me from my FIL who had three girls and only my wife is married. It was pretty beaten up when I received it and I sent it to be serviced. The bracelet is in particularly bad shape (super stretched) but it was $4k for a new bracelet. The crystal is also acrylic (I believe 1988 is when they went to sapphire) and it scratches very easily. The band also just barely fits me and I get a little carpal tunnel if I wear it too long. This obviously has sentimental value to me and I tend to only wear it on special occasions for short periods of time. Weirdly, it doesn't feel like MY watch. My FIL and I had a great relationship and while I'm honored (if that's the correct term?) by the bequeath because he loved this watch, I kind of feel like I'm just a steward charged to take care of this watch until one of my three boys, my FIL's only grandsons, are old enough to care for this watch. To me, that seems like a better home being passed from grandfather to grandson.

View attachment 138716

3. 43mm Citizen Eco-Drive Sapphire WR100 E111-S070856 Calendar Date Black. I think I paid $150 for this watch and it's super comfortable, it keeps time accurately, just needs to be worn in the sun every 6 months or so, and from a bang for your buck POV it is a super solid watch. Clearly doesn't feel built to the same standards as the Tag or Rolex but a great watch.

View attachment 138720

Lately, I've become obsessed with Grand Seikos - not really but I really like them. I think they're absolutely gorgeous, my understanding is they are built like few other watches, and while they may not have the same name recognition as Rolex or Breitling or Omega, amongst watch people they seem to have a great reputation. The contrarian in me likes that they are great quality but also not as mainstream as other watch brands. I want something awesome but not necessarily flashy. Does anyone know anything about Grand Seikos? If yes, what's your opinion of GS? Below is a picture of my dream GS but I have not made up my mind. This is a little out of character for me to even think about spending this kind of money but hey, I can't take it with me, and I can at least leave each of the children a nice memento to remember me. :)

View attachment 138725
OP, so what did you end up doing?

I have a weakness for watches.

I like Seiko and Longines ( battery, hate automatics ).

Inherited dads Rolex.

Love to own a newer Rolex but too expensive.

So this just dropped onto my wife's wrist. This was her mother's Rolex that she has only worn a handful of times in 20 years and so she just asked one day if my wife would actually wear it and if yes did she wanted it. I have to drive all the way into Boston to get to a Rolex service center but I'll send it off to be cleaned and serviced. I think it's from 1990 and it's a 26mm 18K with the President bracelet.
Rolex.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back