Finally scratched my watch itch this morning

The required watch strap/bracelet length depends on

wrist circumference, potentially adding length for wearing over a sleeve (wetsuit/flight suit)

whether this is a one or two-part strap or a bracelet. Bracelets usually have removable links or more links can be added. There may be a micro-adjust or a diver's extension on the clasp

lug-to-lug distance in case of a two-part strap (the lug-to-lug distance must be subtracted from the total strap length or the strap will be too long. With any strap, you want an excess length beyond the last useable strap hole so that you can tuck the tail end into the strap keeper(s). Usually, 1.5" past the last hole is sufficient. You don't want the tail end to protrude too far.

On NATO and ZULU straps you want 2 inches past the last hole. The length must be sufficient for the style in which you tuck in the strap end. I like to fold mine over and tuck the tail in so it doesn't stick up.

This is one of my NATOs folded over and tucked in on itself. Just enough length to not slip out of the keeper and short enough to not stick out awkwardly.

Last edited:
After digging holes while wearing watch
IMG_7474.jpeg
IMG_7473.jpeg

Not necessarily, it depends on the watch. For example I find the Miyota 9015 movement to be more reliable and consistent than some of the Swiss movements such the ETA 2824.
It get a chuckle when I think about the fact that only Swiss movements are eligible for the Swiss Chrono certificate. Seiko has had some great movements over the years as well.

The strap's a bit narrow. Look at that gap! I think you need a 22mm strap. Looks tight. Can you breathe?
I could go another notch! I think it's just the angle, anyway I ordered some 22mm's. Supposed to be a 20mm fits, but the gap is crazy, agree.

I thought you would comment on how much the bezel turned while digging. And my right arm (no pic) is filthy.

It get a chuckle when I think about the fact that only Swiss movements are eligible for the Swiss Chrono certificate. Seiko has had some great movements over the years as well.
I have a Seiko 5 automatic that was in the $250 range that I really like but the power reserve is low and the time lost is in the area of 7 or 8 mins per week range. I get it though, it was $250, and I still think it's a great value. Of course, Grand Seiko is a whole other story.

My 2001 Tag L ink loses about 4-5 mins over a week and I believe it has a ETA movement. That has not been serviced in 15 years now but even after the last service it lost 4-5 mins per week.

The 1987 Rolex Datejust was serviced two years ago and it loses 1-2 mins per week

The Tudor remains to be seen...it is COSC and METAS certified so it should theoretically be the most accurate.

I'd have absolutely no problem owning a Grand Seiko without a Swiss Chronograph cert.

I could go another notch!
Blood restriction training is beneficial. But not all day long!
I think it's just the angle, anyway I ordered some 22mm's. Supposed to be a 20mm fits, but the gap is crazy, agree.
A Duro requires a 22mm strap. At least it doesn't require a 21mm strap. The availability of aftermarket straps in 21mm used to be extremely limited but has been getting better.
I thought you would comment on how much the bezel turned while digging.
Weren't you timing a pot roast while digging up Candian dollars in the backyard?
And my right arm (no pic) is filthy.
You may want to have your doctor check that out.

I have a Seiko 5 automatic that was in the $250 range that I really like but the power reserve is low and the time lost is in the area of 7 or 8 mins per week range. I get it though, it was $250, and I still think it's a great value. Of course, Grand Seiko is a whole other story.

My 2001 Tag L ink loses about 4-5 mins over a week and I believe it has a ETA movement. That has not been serviced in 15 years now but even after the last service it lost 4-5 mins per week.

The 1987 Rolex Datejust was serviced two years ago and it loses 1-2 mins per week

The Tudor remains to be seen...it is COSC and METAS certified so it should theoretically be the most accurate.

I'd have absolutely no problem owning a Grand Seiko without a Swiss Chronograph cert.
The Seiko spring drive was interesting.

I have a real love for watches with tritium tubes on the hands and markers. I sleep with a watch because without my glasses it’s hard to read the clock on the nightstand. With a tritium watch I can always tell the time even in complete darkness.

About a month ago I bought an Aragon tritium automatic. It has a Seiko movement and T100 (bright) tritium tubes. They are still on sale for $145 plus shipping if you use the discount code 55. There are still four different colors available. https://www.aragonwatch.com/ARAGON_Parma_T_100_Tritium_Automatic_p/a417tea.htm

I’m not a shill, it’s just that this is about the best deal that exists if you want a tritium automatic. The only thing I don’t like about it is that at 43mm it’s a little bigger than I would prefer.

82C96E58-0AE0-40D3-A379-0C470D0F235B.jpeg
8D24CF89-E123-4AD8-8998-CC7859C03682.jpeg

The recent watch I bought has lume that rivals tritium. This morning after 10 hours on the wrist it was easily readable in the dark without my specs.

SuperLuminova BGW9 (blue) and C3 (green) fully charged after entering a dark room can be seen below. Remains legible in the dark for >12 hours with liberal application. How bright and how long the lume glows depends on what kind it is and how many layers were applied. SuperLuminova (RC Tritec AG, Switzerland) and Lumi Brite (by Seiko) are the most notable lume brands. Unlike old radium and tritium luminescent paint, SuperLuminova does not turn yellow/brown over the years, withstands humidity, and maintains the ability to glow.

Tritium tubes (I think they are all made by MB-Microtech, Switzerland) glow without external excitement and after 12 years they still reach half of the original brightness. The tubes limit design options to the tubes lying flat or standing up, meaning they can look like lume plots or batons. If you don't want to stand out while hiding in a bush at night you must cover up your tritium-lumed watch because people and animals will notice it from tens of feet away.

SuperLuminova

Last edited:
Back