Watches

She's a beaut! Is that a hammer wind or a rotor?

Hamiltons are very cool and still somewhat affordable although thats starting to change. Im thinking of expanding into them.

Here's my most cherished timepiece - Its my Grandpas 25th anniversary watch from Inland Steel paid for with Sweat and time.

It's a Hamilton Rodney on a Speidel Twist-0-Flex band.

All my other watches can be replaced. This one cant.

UD

IMG_0569.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a Timex guy....even Casio....I like a large plain face due to my eyesight.
For me ….It's a tool to tell time...nothing more.....and they are more accurate than those fancy watches....

Originally Posted by hpb
Not in the same league as some of you guys, but I love my Citizen Eco Drives - have 4 of them
smile.gif

aint nothing wrong with that...Japanese watches are great.

Doesnt matter where you are in the game- only that you are in.

100% cooler than commemorative plates.

UD

bought a rolex oyster in 92 . wore it for a couple of years . people used to give me guff for having it . got tired of that and only wore it on special occasion. gave it to my son . told him every man needs a nice watch, suit and pair of shoes.

these days i just wear a Casio . does what i want at a fraction of the price of a rolex and its even more accurate.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
A guy that buys himself a calatrava 5196 could have any number of cooler more complex pieces around the same amount of money, but settles for a zero/ no complication watch - " because its a Patek."

I've always been of the mind, and I argue about this with friends all the time, that a dress watch should have no complications. I've abridged my stance to say that a subsidiary seconds dial or a date window is okay (one or the other, not both).

I mean, if someone's buying something "because it's a xxxx," I guess it is what it is. Certain timepieces have always appealed to me because of what they were, not who made them. You're right though, everyone can collect what makes them happy.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I've bought three Tissot watches in the past 20 years. They're not as reliable as they used to be.

I inherited a 1950-60's era Tissot Chronograph from my father. It needs a new strap/band. Any ideas where to source one? I tried Farfo's.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Originally Posted by UncleDave
A guy that buys himself a calatrava 5196 could have any number of cooler more complex pieces around the same amount of money, but settles for a zero/ no complication watch - " because its a Patek."

I've always been of the mind, and I argue about this with friends all the time, that a dress watch should have no complications. I've abridged my stance to say that a subsidiary seconds dial or a date window is okay (one or the other, not both).

I mean, if someone's buying something "because it's a xxxx," I guess it is what it is. Certain timepieces have always appealed to me because of what they were, not who made them. You're right though, everyone can collect what makes them happy.

I get that. Im much more open in what I consider a dress watch than most - maybe because I do trade show circuits (Or I did prior to covid 19) and would be pretty limited in hat I could wear based on some guys definitions.

A Calatrava is an expensive beautiful aspirational piece no doubt, a true appreciating heirloom. After that not much to talk about.

UD

I have a watch collection problem, the quantity is 46 pieces, mostly mechanical automatics.

I have 1 dozen Orients, one Heuer (before TAG arrived on scene) one Omega Constellation from my dad, and other Seikos. The top dog is my Grand Seiko Spring Drive.

I can accept that the Swiss know how to make a good watch, but they are less durable than my Orient and Seiko mechanicals. The newest Seiko automatic movement NH35 or NH36 is everything anyone could want in a reliable, accurate, hand winding, hacking day, date, 3 hands watch. The last kicker is the NH3x is cheaper to replace new rather than service. Swiss, not so.

She's a beaut! Is that a hammer wind or a rotor?

Hamiltons are very cool and still somewhat affordable although thats starting to change. Im thinking of expanding into them.

Here's my most cherished timepiece - Its my Grandpas 25th anniversary watch from Inland Steel paid for with Sweat and time.

It's a Hamilton Rodney on a Speidel Twist-0-Flex band.

All my other watches can be replaced. This one cant.

Very nice! Most people don't realize the amount of work and YEARS that went in to earning these retirement watches. Hamilton did make a lot of them, since it was just after the WAR EFFORT that most of our grandfathers took part in. The Hamilton story is worth a read for anyone interested in that period of our history.

Mine is a rotor stem, in addition to the self wind function. I don't know what a "hammer wind" is.
If you look really close at the bottom of the face on mine, you'll see the word SWISS on it.
I remember Inland Steel. I've pumped a lot of oil barges and worked on many boats marked Inland. I'm sure there is a connection.

I have about 10 G-Shocks. Anywhere between the cheap DW5600 to the pricier *****man models. Also have a couple of Seikos and a couple of Citizen Eco Drives.

Best watch is a 2005 Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. It is waaaaaay beyond the time for servicing. The top button will not depress and it is getting hard to wind.

Got a Tag Heuer for a wedding present 20 years ago - $2K watch. It's an automatic that has not left my wrist since. Every 10 years I send it back to Tag to be internally cleaned and calibrated. It's about $600 but the watch is a tank. I'm 41 and may die wearing that watch because I see no point in a new one. I bought an automatic watch winder for night. I never have to manually wind it - the winders wear out before the watch.

Last edited:
I used to never wear watches. I'm one of the people whose body destroys watches. I have a self winding Seiko somewhere around here. It quit on me. It was making a horrible noise inside. Instead of having it fixed, I bought a Citizen Eco Drive perpetual. It has been around longer than any watch that I've ever owned. When it decides to quit, I'll buy another Citizen.

Recently added three watches. A $209 Seiko 5. Nice very accurate watch. In the 5 weeks I have owned it it has gained a total of 5 seconds. It has the 4R36 movement.

I bought a Calvin Klein dress watch that is very nice. ETA 2824-2 Swiss Movement. Sapphire Glass, Made in Switzerland by the Swatch Group. Also pretty accurate.

And I bought an Invicta Psychadelic Pro Diver. Seiko NH-35 movement. A LSD trip on your wrist. Wear this one a lot.

20200514_143729 (2).jpg

DSC_0014 (2).JPG

20200507_093049 (2).jpg

DSC_0013 (2).JPG

I've always liked watches but I'm not a collector. I have a Citizen Eco-Drive that I wear to the office and a Seiko Solar Diver for play time.

Originally Posted by JohnG

Very nice! Most people don't realize the amount of work and YEARS that went in to earning these retirement watches. Hamilton did make a lot of them, since it was just after the WAR EFFORT that most of our grandfathers took part in. The Hamilton story is worth a read for anyone interested in that period of our history.
Mine is a rotor stem, in addition to the self wind function. I don't know what a "hammer wind" is.
If you look really close at the bottom of the face on mine, you'll see the word SWISS on it.
I remember Inland Steel. I've pumped a lot of oil barges and worked on many boats marked Inland. I'm sure there is a connection.

Im much more interested in acquiring Hamiltons than Tags (no offense to anyone). Great company and story.

The hammer wind was a bump stop deal, not to terribly effective, but cool in that was an early iteration of self winding mechanisms.
I basically have this watch without the date function - its a mechanical alarm, kind of a fun complication.
https://www.hoinkee.com/articles/a-week-on-the-wrist-the-jaeger-lecoultre-memovox-cal-825

I've worked pretty hard in my life but spending 25 years on the floor of a steel mill is something different.
My grandma on the same side worked there too keeping books, so half my family are steelworkers in some sense.

Inland was one of the true kings of industry and many of the big rigs they invested in heavily are still being used today by arcelor on the same site.
Check out the mighty 80 sometime if you like heavy machinery.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Here is my dream watch:

https://www.swisswatchexpo.com/watc...C5_Pm6QIVAr7ACh0GEwFgEAQYASABEgL39_D_BwE

Too pricey though. I won't buy it.

Well thats an interesting face. I wonder how the colors will hold over time?

The Omega speedmaster in of itself is a fantastic piece.
Many great subtle details on that watch I like very much.

I wish to acquire one.

There is a cult of speedmaster thats extremely specific about which ones are chosen to appreciate and which are considered marketing pieces that Im not up to speed on.

Personally, I don't wear any jewelry, just don't like the restrictiveness of the stuff. My dad gave me his retirement Omega because it was too heavy for him. It's in a drawer somewhere, I think....

Back