WATCHES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MarkC
So who remembers their very first watch?

My first real wrist watch was an automatic Citizen chronograph that I got as a confirmation gift when I was 11 or 12. The confirmation didn't take, but my fondness for chronographs kept grew.
wink.gif

I was confirmed (no choice was given), but in the end the only thing that was confirmed was nonconformity.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MarkC
So who remembers their very first watch?
Mine was a Caravelle Sea Hunter I got when I was about 13 or so. I don't remember how much it cost, but I had to clean many a fish at $.10 a pound to pay for it.

My very first watch was a gold-plated Timex wind-up on a bracelet that my mother got for me when I was 10 using, get this, S & H Green Stamps. (Anybody remember those? And Top Value stamps?) I wanted a wristwatch like Jimmy Olsen's. Don't recall what happened to it.

My next one, a Christmas present, was one of the first Timex Electrics. Not electronic, but Electric. In 1966 $40 was a chunk of change. Its second hand moved like quartz watches do today, in steady jerks around the dial. I wore it and ones like it on straps and inexpensive Speidel bracelets for years, until I got first a Citizen and then my first 'lex.

I am a bit of a watch afficionado in that I can appreciate fine watches, but I'm not a collector in that I only currently have one working watch that I wear 24/7. It literally stays on my wrist even while sleeping. The only times it really comes off are at bathtimes (it's waterproof but soap isn't good for the rubber over time) and during sparring. It's an Omega Seamaster Professional Titanium with the rubber strap. The things I like about this particular watch are that it's mechanically very nice and accurate and the Super Luminova glow-in-the-dark can be very easily read. It's made for diving and even though I haven't had a need for one in years, it has a helium escape valve for saturation diving. I also like the simplicity of the dial's design (which is very large for a wristwatch).

I'm one of those who is looking for 'The Watch' and by that, I don't mean a watch that everyone else wants or will admire (I specifically chose the rubber strap version because it's innocuous. Most folks don't have a clue unless they're watch afficionados), by 'The Watch' I mean the last watch I'll ever buy. something that I can wear 24/7 for all occasions. No batteries to die and require changing, waterproof for diving (the rare occasions I get the opportunity), tough and fairly shockproof for the rough and tumble abuse I put it through.

Might have found the perfect watch (for me) but I'll wait till the pre-owned prices come down a bit. The watch is the new version of the Rolex GMT II. Always liked the GMT II with its multiple timezones (if you set it correctly, you can track 3 simultaneously) for travelling but it only had a water resistance rating of 100 meters. The new one should be good to 300 like the Submariner. I had a Rolex Seadweller for a time, but sold it. I also like the GMT-series ability to adjust hours independent of the minutes and seconds. Allows for ease of adjustment for things like daylight savings without having to reset the atomic clock calibrated minutes and seconds.

First watch was a Disney watch. I think I had Donald Duck and my brother had Mickey Mouse. Wore it till the hands fell of (seems they had a tendency to do that). Had a quartz Timex, appropriated an antique Hamilton military issue from my dad's collection till I accidentally melted the acrylic crystal (thought it was glass) while trying to charge the GITD hands under a halogen lamp.

Had a couple of Casio G-Shock watches, one of which I wore for 7 years till the rubber case cracked off resulting in the glass being cracked when I inadvertently hit the uncovered edge of the glass against a wall. The watch subsequently drowned shortly thereafter. Tried a titanium Seiko Kinetic, which lasted 3-4 years and then one day I finally took it off and it would neevr hold a charge again. Never bothered trying to get the capacitor replaced. I got the Omega to replace it about 7 years ago now and have been happy with it. had to replace the rubber strap a couple of months ago because it finally cracked, but other than that, it's great.

Max

Parents gave me an Accutron for high school graduation. Thing quit working long ago, and now I can't find it. Hopefully, it's not gone forever. Currently wearing a Belair chronograph. Belair is a company in NJ that supposedly imports Swiss movements and configures them as house brands for private jewelry stores. I bought mine online at Sierra Trading Post. Titanium and keeps good time for only $130 bucks.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

I currently own several Orient watches. Click here for my review of an Orient Star.

G-MAN,

Thanks for the most excellent review. Your high praise induced me to purchase two Orient Star watches (one for me and one as a gift) from a Japanese dealer on Ebay. I purchased the WZ0091ER(the model you reviewed) and WZ0101ER models and am delighted with the quality, fit, finish and workmanship. They cost $215 + 15 shipping and insurance. They arrived from Japan two days after I ordered them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back