Wrist Watch / Timepiece

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Movado Museum is a timeless classic. The rest of their line, not so much.

Gucci is a pure fashion brand. To give you an idea of how much watch collectors think of them, a while back I had one that I'd bought as part of a lot of other watches. I stuck a new battery on it and threw it out on my table at a show for $20. After it had been out most of the day without much of a glance, one fellow came over and said "I think my wife might like that. Would you take $15 for it?" My "yes" had no hesitation.

If you're asking me, my new watch is very similar in appearance to the Presage. For some reason it only appears for a few seconds so I can't get a very good look at it. The only apparent visual difference is that the date on mine is at 3:00. Mine has a quartz movement (which I prefer) though.

Although I've had the Orient Kingdiver since 1971 I don't wear it very much. It has a mechanical movement and has to be serviced every few years which costs far more than I paid for it (about $45, bought in Korea). Several of my engineering classmates bought identical watches as a graduation present to ourselves.
If anyone is planning to order from Creation Watches, there is an extra 10% off sale now under way. The coupon code is CLEAR.

Gucci is a pure fashion brand. To give you an idea of how much watch collectors think of them, a while back I had one that I'd bought as part of a lot of other watches. I stuck a new battery on it and threw it out on my table at a show for $20. After it had been out most of the day without much of a glance, one fellow came over and said "I think my wife might like that. Would you take $15 for it?" My "yes" had no hesitation.
That is pretty much what I thought. Gucci watches are overpriced just because of the brand

I bought myself a nice stainless Victorinox Swiss Army watch 20+ years ago but haven't worn it in more than 10 since seemingly every electronic gadget has a clock on it nowadays. It became redundant and I was beating it up a bit, but it sure is a nice 'thing' to own.

Jeez, I wonder where it even is now that I'm thinking about it...
I just found it. It's in way worse shape than I remember. The steel face is a little marked up, and while I don't mind a bit of patina, apparently I somehow managed to crack the glass so that sucks. Let's hope the battery isn't leaking when I take it apart tonight.

I have always wore cheaper quartz / battery operated watches like Casio or Armitron and then a apple watch for a few years but now would like to get into mechanically watches.

For what I've seem Seiko seems to be he best watch for the money. Here is what I am debating to get:

I really like this Seiko Presage Cocktail SRPB41 due to the beautiful dial but I don't like that it doesn't have a sapphire crystal/ lens and is more prone to scratches on the lens.
MSRP: $450.00 - This one can be found around $350 https://seikousa.com/products/srpb41

Here is another Seiko Presage SRPD41 a more plain version but it comes with a sapphire crystal. MSRP $525 - can be bough on Jomashop.com for $300 https://seikousa.com/products/srpd41

Seiko 5 Sports SRPE53 a nice cheaper watch. MSRP $275.00 - can be found around $230 https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/products/5sports/srpe53

Tissot Powermatic 80 Anthracite -MSRP $795.00 I found this one on Jomashop.com for $300.00 https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-th/t0864071106100.html

Which one do you like and why?

I know you said mechanical, but what about solar powered? My wife got me a Citizen for Christmas, simple design like the ones you linked to, and fully charged has a 6 month power reserve. Worth a look

Attachments

• 28CDBC05-74A0-4564-8239-9BD0FA06BA08.jpeg
    28CDBC05-74A0-4564-8239-9BD0FA06BA08.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 14

You should have posted it on OfferUp / Craigslist and you would have gotten a few hundred bucks for it.

After looking at many watches I believe the Seiko 5 is the best watch for the money period. I am debating between the SRPE53 (polished bezel) vs SRPE61 (brushed bezel)

Which one do you have? How long have you had it and what are your thoughts about it?
SNKE03J

I bought it about 12 years ago. I liked it at the time - it was my first mechanical watch. A few years later I got my first Orient, and the Seiko has been sitting in the drawer pretty much ever since. It's become inaccurate and power reserve is weak, probably because it's been sitting for a long time.

37450145466_64af8c2827_z.jpg

50835123682_71ff2986c9_z.jpg

Last edited:
That is a nice looking watch. That is one of the better looking Seiko 5's IMO.

You went from Seiko to Orient - isn't that a downgrade?

That is a nice looking watch. That is one of the better looking Seiko 5's IMO.

You went from Seiko to Orient - isn't that a downgrade?
Thanks.
My white Orient is a nicer watch IMO, and it cost 3x as much as that Seiko. I wouldn't call it a downgrade, but it's for everyone to decide for themselves.

The Presage model you're looking at is on a different level than my low end Seiko 5 which cost about $70-80 at the time.

Anyone ever have a Swatch back in the 1980s?:D

Just about everyone with a "swiss movement" owns a swatch.

Swatch Group owns ETA the #1 swiss maker of movements.

Most 80+%of watch movements are ETA generic "engines" fitted to jewelry.

Its the rare watch company that makes its own movement and a differentiator in what holds, or appreciates in value and what's mere jewelry.

I'm a watch collector too and my favorites are divers. Stay away from mid-level Swiss like Hamilton (I have a Jazzmaster H-10 movement and it clicks like it has a missing tooth somewhere when I wind it). A lot of others seem to be having issues with the 80 hour reserve movements too as mentioned. I like the Seiko from the ones you posted, but remember to pay attention to how much lume you need/want, is there anti-reflective coating on the crystal, if the hands have good visibility, is the date window legible and what functions you want. Another couple things that are important is the overall size (40mm is average these days) and the strap size (20mm is the most used and most widely available). My favorite watches that I have are (in order) Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Marathon GSAR US Gov't, Seiko King Turtle "Save the Ocean".

Attachments

• Tudor BB.jpg
    Tudor BB.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 10
  • SEIKO.JPG
    SEIKO.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Marathon.jpg
    Marathon.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 9
One recommendation; unless you plan on wearing it daily, avoid Seiko's Kinetic watches. In theory it sounds good, quartz accuracy but 'battery' power that comes from a capacitor that gets charged by your movement. Quartz accuracy with the fussiness of an automatic watch. And regular watch winders don't generate enough motion to charge the capacitor.

Long story short, if you ever had a needy person that needed constant attention in your life, the kinetic watch will remind you of that person.

Just about everyone with a "swiss movement" owns a swatch.

Swatch Group owns ETA the #1 swiss maker of movements.

Most 80+%of watch movements are ETA generic "engines" fitted to jewelry.

Its the rare watch company that makes its own movement and a differentiator in what holds, or appreciates in value and what's mere jewelry.
These:

I'm wearing my Marathon GSAR today. It has a Sellita SW200 movement (same as ETA 2824 but different mfg) and is accurate to +2 to 3 sec per day. This is the actual watch, from a Canadian company for sale in the PX and issued by the US Armed Forces that meets Milspec standards for durability, readability, lume with Tritium tubes, etc. It costs under $1,000 USD.

Attachments

• MARATHONWATCH.jpg
    MARATHONWATCH.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thanks.
My white Orient is a nicer watch IMO, and it cost 3x as much as that Seiko. I wouldn't call it a downgrade, but it's for everyone to decide for themselves.

The Presage model you're looking at is on a different level than my low end Seiko 5 which cost about $70-80 at the time.

I meant Orient overall is a cheaper brand which is actually a part off / owned by Seiko.

I meant Orient overall is a cheaper brand which is actually a part off / owned by Seiko.
I suppose, but that's too simplistic of a view in my opinion. I would focus on specific models instead of just applying a label at the brand level. There is the Orient Star line of watches which is supposed to be more premium, for example.

Both brands have a long history that goes back similar amount of time. But Seiko has more recognition. Everyone has heard of Seiko. Not everyone has heard of Orient. From that standpoint, I find Orient more unique, and that in itself has an appeal, at least to me.

Ownership aside, Orient still operates pretty independently.

At the end of the day, it's about finding a watch that suits your tastes and that you'll be happy wearing. This includes making sure the size and weight of the watch is appropriate for the size of your wrist. From a quality perspective, both Seiko and Orient have it, IMO. But if it makes one happier knowing that it says "Seiko" on the dial, I get it. For me, if I don't like how it looks, I won't wear it regardless of who makes it. I have a fancy Zenith el Primero watch that was given to me as a wedding gift. It's not my style, so I have never worn it.

Plus, if you get into this hobby, you will end up with multiple watches. There is nothing stopping you from owning Seiko as well as other brands and wear them all in rotation. Male jewelry is all it is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back