Wrist Watch / Timepiece

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always wore cheaper quartz / battery operated watches like Casio or Armitron and then a apple watch for a few years but now would like to get into mechanically watches.

For what I've seem Seiko seems to be he best watch for the money. Here is what I am debating to get:

I really like this Seiko Presage Cocktail SRPB41 due to the beautiful dial but I don't like that it doesn't have a sapphire crystal/ lens and is more prone to scratches on the lens.
MSRP: $450.00 - This one can be found around $350 https://seikousa.com/products/srpb41

Here is another Seiko Presage SRPD41 a more plain version but it comes with a sapphire crystal. MSRP $525 - can be bough on Jomashop.com for $300 https://seikousa.com/products/srpd41

Seiko 5 Sports SRPE53 a nice cheaper watch. MSRP $275.00 - can be found around $230 https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/products/5sports/srpe53

Tissot Powermatic 80 Anthracite -MSRP $795.00 I found this one on Jomashop.com for $300.00 https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-th/t0864071106100.html

Which one do you like and why?

I bought myself a nice stainless Victorinox Swiss Army watch 20+ years ago but haven't worn it in more than 10 since seemingly every electronic gadget has a clock on it nowadays. It became redundant and I was beating it up a bit, but it sure is a nice 'thing' to own.

Jeez, I wonder where it even is now that I'm thinking about it...

Last edited:
Is Orient a step above Seiko?
I'd say Orient is on par with Seiko in terms of quality, but most of the Orients cost less, even though Orient prices have gone up significantly in the last 10 years or so.

Mako "Pepsi" is a popular one...

EDIT: Also, some good recommendations and photos in this thread from 2019:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/wrist-watches-again.308407/page-2#post-5090273

Last edited:
TBH, as an entry into mechanical watches, I don't think it's hard to beat the Seiko 5.

It's a well proven movement that comes in a million different case and dial combinations, and especially at its price point is a darn good timekeeper.

To keep costs down, it lacks the ability to hand wind. I'm mixed on that. On one hand, automatic watches even with a 48 hour power reserve are typically regulated to keep time best between full wind and about 60% wind(which represents 8 hours on the wrist, 16 off in a day) and I like the ability to manually keep it there if I skip a day wearing a watch. On the other hand, the automatic winding mechanism in the Seiko 5 is really efficient, and within an hour of putting it on with moderate activity it should be at least most of the way up.

A Seiko 5 is my usual recommendation as a starter mechanical.

Is Orient a step above Seiko?
Orient is owned by Seiko and uses Seiko movements. Personally, I think Seiko case finishing is unrivaled at the price. As a parent company who acquired Orient (rather than growing it as a second brand in-house), I think Seiko puts more effort into their own watches.

Of the options you presented, I would go for the SRPD41. Yes, the Cocktail dials are gorgeous, but I think the SRPD41 dial will wow you when you actually see it. Check out some of the videos on YouTube and find one recorded with a macro lens that really shows the detail of the dial and indices. There is more there than many photographs show. SRPD41 uses the 4R35 movement, which is a Japanese workhorse that can be hand-wound and hacks. I have a Seiko Samurai with this movement: It's solid.

If it were me, I'd be getting it on a leather strap. I'm not a fan of inexpensive bracelets and I think the Presage line as a whole just look better on a strap.

Last edited:
The Tisot, it uses an ETA 2824-2 based movement which is great work horse and it is Swiss made. A Swiss ETA movt automatic watch for $300 is a deal. In that price class Chicom based Claro 888 are common.

I have lots of mechanical watches. Some are higher end pieces but I wear my old Seiko 5 field watch mostly. Orient is a very high quality watch maker at a very reasonable price. They are part of the Seiko group and make their own inhouse movement. I have several Orients and am always amazed how rugged and dependable they are.

+1 for the Orient. I had a Tissot Sea Star about 30 years. It only had two services. I still have it but it has quit running. I don't think new Tissot automatics are that quality and probably overpriced today. ⌚

I like the genuine alligator straps not the phony imprinted ones, not cheap but look great. My Ebel automatic cal 137 chrono has a sharkskin strap which is amazing.

The Tisot, it uses an ETA 2824-2 based movement which is great work horse and it is Swiss made.

The Powermatic 80 movement is a "tuned" 2824-2. The VPH has been turned down from 28,800 to 21,600 to get the power reserve up. Hamilton did the same thing with their H-10 movement. Not coincidentally, Tissot and Hamilton are both owned by Swatch Group, which also owns ETA. Draw your own conclusion, but "underclocking" an existing movement to get the power reserve up and slapping an "in-house" movement name on it has been called tacky.

Orient is owned by Seiko and uses Seiko movements.
AFAIK, the F6922 movement was designed and is built only by Orient in-house. I don't think Seiko uses it in their watches. Although the anti-shock system that Orient uses does come from Seiko.

But yes, Seiko and Orient ownership is rolled-up these days. Orient is actually owned by Epson, who in turn rolls up to Seiko Group.

I have an Invitica and you can see the mechanicals through a window in the back of the case.

I really want a very accurate watch and no mechanical watch will be as accurate as a quartz. My Seiko picks up time signals over the air once a day and updates itself. Extremely accurate.

For straps, check out: https://strapsense.com/

It's run by a guy from NASIOC (Subaru forum) and is strictly dedicated to watch strap reviews. Every strap he reviews is purchased by him with his own money, so no sponsored content, and he does a pretty thorough job. He also owns a Seiko Presage Cocktail that you'll see in some of the reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back