Wrist Watch / Timepiece

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 12 Orients, they all demonstrate great quality, durability - to the extent that an idiot with 47 watches can accurately measure durability - and are priced fairly. Orients will usually have better assembly control than Seiko, as the Seiko divers are famous for mis-aligned bezels and other small annoying details.

I have always wore cheaper quartz / battery operated watches like Casio or Armitron and then a apple watch for a few years but now would like to get into mechanically watches.

For what I've seem Seiko seems to be he best watch for the money. Here is what I am debating to get:

I really like this Seiko Presage Cocktail SRPB41 due to the beautiful dial but I don't like that it doesn't have a sapphire crystal/ lens and is more prone to scratches on the lens.
MSRP: $450.00 - This one can be found around $350 https://seikousa.com/products/srpb41

Here is another Seiko Presage SRPD41 a more plain version but it comes with a sapphire crystal. MSRP $525 - can be bough on Jomashop.com for $300 https://seikousa.com/products/srpd41

Seiko 5 Sports SRPE53 a nice cheaper watch. MSRP $275.00 - can be found around $230 https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/products/5sports/srpe53

Tissot Powermatic 80 Anthracite -MSRP $795.00 I found this one on Jomashop.com for $300.00 https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-th/t0864071106100.html

Which one do you like and why?

I really like the presage watches, I think they are great value. On the cheaper Seiko you often need to change the strap to make it more wearable.
I have the original cocktail time, it had the worst strap I have ever seen. I put one of my GO straps on it and instant upgrade.

The strap on this watch is probably more expensive than the watch itself, but I think it works great
PXL_20210115_150600189.jpg

I suppose, but that's too simplistic of a view in my opinion. I would focus on specific models instead of just applying a label at the brand level. There is the Orient Star line of watches which is supposed to be more premium, for example.

Both brands have a long history that goes back similar amount of time. But Seiko has more recognition. Everyone has heard of Seiko. Not everyone has heard of Orient. From that standpoint, I find Orient more unique, and that in itself has an appeal, at least to me.

Ownership aside, Orient still operates pretty independently.

At the end of the day, it's about finding a watch that suits your tastes and that you'll be happy wearing. This includes making sure the size and weight of the watch is appropriate for the size of your wrist. From a quality perspective, both Seiko and Orient have it, IMO. But if it makes one happier knowing that it says "Seiko" on the dial, I get it. For me, if I don't like how it looks, I won't wear it regardless of who makes it. I have a fancy Zenith el Primero watch that was given to me as a wedding gift. It's not my style, so I have never worn it.

Plus, if you get into this hobby, you will end up with multiple watches. There is nothing stopping you from owning Seiko as well as other brands and wear them all in rotation. Male jewelry is all it is. :)

I totally agree with what your saying. There is a lot more than just a price tag to a watch.

I have 12 Orients, they all demonstrate great quality, durability - to the extent that an idiot with 47 watches can accurately measure durability - and are priced fairly. Orients will usually have better assembly control than Seiko, as the Seiko divers are famous for mis-aligned bezels and other small annoying details.

Whose, or which movements do they use?

I've worn the same self winding mechanical watch, every day for 22 years. I wear when I'm changing oil, changing spark pugs, mowing grass, on the tractor or in the swimming pool. It looks 99% new still, not a single scratch on the sapphire crystal after 22 years of not babying it.

I have 2 '70s Rolexes, a '60s Bulova Aerojet auto, an Atlantic from '98 with quick-set date, and a gold-and-steel Titoni day-date from about 2004. I wear the first three every week. Oh, and I just bought one of these: https://tinyurl.com/y3khl6r6 I put it on a "vintage Bond" NATO strap for the time being, and love it that way.

I'm wearing my Marathon GSAR today. It has a Sellita SW200 movement (same as ETA 2824 but different mfg) and is accurate to +2 to 3 sec per day. This is the actual watch, from a Canadian company for sale in the PX and issued by the US Armed Forces that meets Milspec standards for durability, readability, lume with Tritium tubes, etc. It costs under $1,000 USD.
That’s a really good-looking watch.

I have a few watches

Citizens dive watch, black rubber strap that I replaced with a leather strap. Nice bezel, water prof to 200 meters. Pretty happy with it and it looks great with a leather strap.

Suunto Core Black - Most comfortable thing I’ve had on my wrist. Easy battery replacement. Pretty durable. Only like 50 feet water proof but I’ve had this thing in the ocean for a week and never got a drop of condensation in it. Price has come way down on these things. Used to be a $350 dollar watch, now they’re $110.

Garmin Instinct - Best smart watch I’ve owned. Looks rugged and like a slick/sleeker G-Shock. Battery lasts two weeks on a charge. Great app and water proof to I think 150 feet. Used to be a $300 dollar watch, now you can get them for $160

About 10 Casio G-Shocks - You just can’t kill these things. Unless the battery dies there’s nothing that will stop these things. Nothing.

Ive also owned a Luminox Navy Seal Dive watch. Junk. Cheap overpriced junk. Bezel wore out in three months and the glass cracked soon after. Never before had I broken the face of a watch. Garbage.

And a Sieko...jeez I don’t even know what it is...some sort of dress watch. A little too sleek and thin for me.

I like the face of my watch to be wide and big.

I'd say Orient is on par with Seiko in terms of quality, but most of the Orients cost less, even though Orient prices have gone up significantly in the last 10 years or so.

Mako "Pepsi" is a popular one...

EDIT: Also, some good recommendations and photos in this thread from 2019:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/wrist-watches-again.308407/page-2#post-5090273
I have purchased a few Orient and Orient Star watches over the years. Good value.

I have a few:

my Hamilton Ventura 1957 reissue using a quartz movement with a black band. I like this watch, but it has a small face so it’s a little harder to read on the move. Plus, I don’t want to damage it when I’m out doing stuff (like picking up lumber, etc.)

my cheapo Invicta dive watch. All of $40 shipped. Quartz movement, with the stainless steel band. This is what I wear when I’m out doing stuff like above. Because I don’t care if it gets banged on something, scratched, etc., because it’s a cheap watch. That’s accurate, funny enough. It has lost maybe a second or two over the past couple of months.

I got another cheap Invicta because I liked how it looked: Speedway that I put a brown leather band on... looks very nice for a $80 watch. It’s what I wear to alternate with my other cheap watch.

My nice watch is the Rolex Air King. It’s their lowest price model, but it’s still a Rolex. I wear this (or wore this) when I’d travel to my consulting work sites and were among clients, my direct reports, etc.

Of all of my watches, the ones that get noticed most, and receive the most compliments: my cheap Invictas. 🙄. But I should have expected that as they are the most noticeable. My Rolex is subtle with a plain black leather band. 😁

Anyone have a good recommendation for good leather straps? I am not looking for a expensive band but at the same time I don't want to waste my money on something is low quality.

Last edited:
Speidel has has several levels of leather bands at different cost levels. Their web site is decent.
Hadley-Roma is another popular brand wirh several quality levels. You can buy online or locally from many jewlers for either brand and the two that I use most.I've often stopped in local jewlery stores to get an idea of the quality for the money. There are other brands as well from Hirsch & Strapco(or Strapcode...I'm not sure of the spelling). Your best to search online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back