WATCHES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: passport

I just bought a new Orient Star watch. It retails for ~$550 but I got it for less than half that on ebay. There are several very reliable dealers in Japan. This watch is rare in the US. They market this in asia and Russia mostly. Orient mechanical watches are some of the best made around. They are one of only a few that make their own movements. A superb watch, swiss quality at a fraction of the cost.

I currently own several Orient watches. Click here for my review of an Orient Star.

I love this watch. Had it for 7 years. Had to replace the band. Usually +/- 1 second/month.
70100E.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I don't have a watch. They don't last.

What's your definition of not lasting?

I have a Timex Ironman watch that I bought in 1989.

The labels show their age, but it still works great.

What I wear daily
SNA273.jpg

My priced possession (a gift from my dad who owned it since new but hardly wore it):
omega_1958_seamaster.jpg

Originally Posted By: BradC
I don't have a watch. They don't last.

What's your definition of not lasting?

mechanical watches stop within 6-9 months. Electronics play up in a similar timeframe. watchbands corrode and leave nasty stains where the metal touches my skin.

Was easier to not wear them.

I'm completely ignorant. What does a $40 atomic watch (which obviously always has accurate time) bought at wal-mart not have compared to a watch purchased for hundreds or even over a thousand dollars? It's one of those things I just cannot understand paying big money for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
I'm completely ignorant. What does a $40 atomic watch (which obviously always has accurate time) bought at wal-mart not have compared to a watch purchased for hundreds or even over a thousand dollars? It's one of those things I just cannot understand paying big money for.

Style

perceived value by other collectors

I wear one of these daily, depending upon my need for look for the day (suit vs. shirt and tie vs. business casual).

Couldnt be happier with both! Both keep great time, contrary to popular belief...

I won't buy anything with a battery, especially if it costs more than $30 for a timex ironman (polar HRMs are exempt).

IMG_0581-01.jpg

mechanical watches stop within 6-9 months. Electronics play up in a similar timeframe. watchbands corrode and leave nasty stains where the metal touches my skin.

Are those cheap watches, or are you just hard on them?

I have a couple of Citizen Eco-Drive watches. My mother gave me a titanium version when I finished university. I like how it looks and it's very light. I lost it in a head-on collision, but the police found it in the ditch while investigating the accident scene after the snow melted 3 or 4 months later. The strap was busted but the watch was still keeping the correct time. In the meantime, I had bought a stainless steel model, but I prefer the lighter titanium one.

When I started carrying a cellphone for work, I stopped wearing a watch. The phone already provides a clock and I prefer bare wrists.

Hard to split those watches. Two of the absolute finest. Be careful, a display like that in some neighborhoods might make you missing a hand. BTW, I found that my oyster datejust was (relatively speaking) almost as $$ to maintain as my old mercedes.

G-Man,

Thank you for your excellent and very detailed precis of this fine watch brand. I actually read your analysis three times before I was convinced to buy an Orient. I bought the future/retro bike model and it is a fantastic example of japanese technology. I also have a less expensive 'AAA' model.
I am going to corner a few more.

The entry level japanese watches today are equal to the moderately priced Swiss offerings in design, materials, and accuracy. The higher priced japanese watches from Orient, Seiko and Citizen I believe to be equal to the better Swiss watches like Tag, Tissot and Hamilton.

I don't wear watches. For that matter, I wear no jewelry... they bother me.

I do have a number of Soviet era watches designed for Soviet navy divers. I think Zakas is the manufacturer's name. The watches are waterproof to I don't know how deep, have a glow-in-the-dark dial, and 17-jewel movement.

I tried to have a watch. My best was a Seiko Chronograph (1972 or 1973). That was the last expensive (for me) watch that I ever owned. I was 16 years old and put it on lay-away at a jeweler. It was $150 then. About a month's pay for a part time worker. The self winding mechanism had me wiggling my wrist and that almost turned into a nervous "tick". It began to lose time and I didn't have the sense to get it serviced. It got lost at some point.

I either forget to put them on ..or they get banged up too much. I have the same luck with cell phones.

Even though I'm not a 'watch freak', I can appreciate the attraction to fine, durable things. Some objects like good mechanical watches have made the transition from nice to collectable.

I have three that I rotate from day to day:

~1978 Rolex Submariner, no-date (the 5513 model that Roger Moore wore in some of the James Bond films). Original Rolex bracelet. Just had it regulated, and it gains/loses about 2 sec. a day. Jeweler advises me it'll be time for a full cleaning and service (~$250) soon.

~1971 Rolex SS Date, with an aftermarket bracelet. Last year I sent it to Rolex for a full $ervice and to replace the grey dial with a sapphire blue. Came back looking like a new one. Also +/- 2 sec./day.

2004 Titoni SS-and-gold Airmaster on bracelet, purchased on the Internet. Despite the Italian-sounding name, Titoni is a Swiss watch. Mine is a heavy day-date with quickset for both functions. Dressier than the Date, and keeps almost as good time, for about 1/10th the price of a new Rolex.

I also have two Bulova tuning fork-driven Accutrons from the '60s-'70s; both need to be serviced. But I wanted them because I loved their look and advanced technology when I was a teenager. Accutrons don't tick; they hum. And one of mine is a "doctor's watch." The factory dial has a scale for use in calculating pulses and is printed with the Latin words for "Count to 20 beats" on it. Not too many of those around!

Originally Posted By: rpn453

Are those cheap watches, or are you just hard on them?

I don't think I'm all that hard on them...the cheap plastic digitals seem to last the longest.

Must be my magnetic personality, and/or the fact that the guys at work refer to me as a "ruster", and won't let me touch their fine metalwork.

So who remembers their very first watch?
Mine was a Caravelle Sea Hunter I got when I was about 13 or so. I don't remember how much it cost, but I had to clean many a fish at $.10 a pound to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back