Anyone care to talk about wrist watches?

Though I have a Timex that was given to me, I rarely wear it. I stopped decades ago because I can't stand wearing rings, jewelry or any other kind of body ornament.I have a clock in almost every room in the house, plus one on each computer and another in each car. I'm surrounded by time almost all of the time and if those aren't enough I can always get someone who is already using their phone to give me the time.
Same here, quit wearing due to all the above. Have Seiko and other gifted watches sitting in a jeweler box.

Same here, quit wearing due to all the above. Have Seiko and other gifted watches sitting in a jeweler box.
Another same for me. I have a Tag Heur sport watch that is real slick, but I just can't stand jewelry anymore. I enjoy my free wrists and not having anything scratch or catch on things. I do however like to wear the watch to events or out with the ladies.

If anyone has an interest in the blue Casio Duro dive-style watch, now might be a good time to go to JC Penneys website. They have a Black Friday special going on and you can grab one for under $38...IIRC you couldn't even get the black one at that price. Amazon is listing the same watch for $10 more. And if you are interested, I wouldn't wait; last night they had the gold-trimmed one for $40 and it, along with about 10 other watches in the special are no longer available.

I don't currently own a Rolex and maybe never will. However, should I ever happen to own a Rolex watch, I don't want the one we see on billboards or display windows. I don't want the typical Presidential, Submariner or Daytona. I'd want a e.g., Rolex Date1500 watch on a leather strap, that looks much like any regular watch but, it's a Rolex, without screaming "ROLEX"!
smile.gif

The 1500 is not the Rolex watch that people come up to you and ask, "is that a real Rolex"?
smirk.gif

They're the watch that people will ask, "oh, what watch are you wearing"?
smile.gif

And when you show them, they say, "Oh Wow, it's a ROLEX"! Who would guess?
laugh.gif

And for the sake of questions/curiosity, I do realize that Rolex is the designer of their own style watches and look like no other brands. It's other brands that look like Rolex's.
I have one of those! My ca. 1971 Date, on my wrist as I type, I picked up at an authorized dealer 20 years ago this month. It had a pencil-lead gray dial and was on a black leather strap. From time to time when I stopped in to look at the guy's pre-owned watches, I'd see it -- sort of the kitten nobody wanted at the pound, I guess. In Dec. after recovering from a cold, I said to myself, "Self, if it's still there and they'll deal, you get it." It was, and they did, and I did. In '07 I had the dial replaced by Rolex Dallas with a sapphire blue one, and put it on an aftermarket Jubilee bracelet. It keeps excellent time and doesn't scream "ROLEX" at people.

My previous Rolex was, and is, a no-date Submariner from about 1978 with the domed crystal, purchased in June 1997. The hands and markers don't glow any more, and the black bezel has always been a little scuffed around the :20 mark. But it also keeps fantastic time and is about due for another service.

Now and then I've thought about selling both and buying one newer model with a quick-set date. But these two are part of me -- and the prices of pre-owned Datejusts even in stainless steel is horrifying, something like 3-4 times what I paid for mine!

Back