Does anyone in the US care about the coronation in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not into watching more than a few minutes of it. I do, however, respect the sincerity and seriousness of the event. I feel embarrassed at the shenanigans and disrespectfulness of our political system during the previous debacle.

I’ve never seen so many bear hide hats in my life.
Canada supplies the black bear skins. Synthetic options have been explored but were deemed unsuitable. Despite its size, a busby weighs only 1.5 pounds. No idea how hot or how smelly it gets under there.

Strange how much activity this thread has for a bunch of people "not interested" in the event.... 🙄

I just saw this story and wondered, was it done purposely?

Frankly, I hope so. He has been and still is a monumental source of embrassment for his family and the country.

If had been anyone other than Harry or his wife, no one would have noticed that they were blocked but I'm that those are going squeal like a couple of stuck hogs about it to the news media. It might get them back on the Opray Show or The View.

Yo Snaggs, with this, are all Canadian coins with QEII's portrait going to be rounded up and replaced with ones featuring King Charles?
This was just announced.

888517C9-1F34-479E-AD4F-C027CA1EB05C.jpg

I watched most of it.

It's more about history and tradition and little to do with day to day government. Think of it as a traditional opera or ballet, with a cast of thousands, that was last performed almost 70 years ago. With some of the movements almost 1000 years old.

Take for example the "King's Champion" who now just carries the royal standard, in ancient times their coronation role was to wear a suit of armour and challenge anyone who contested the throne to trial by combat.

Or the king's sister Princess Anne, who is also ceremonial colonel of the Blues and Royals (UK army, armoured cavalry unit), which makes her the "Gold-Stick" or close personal protection officer for the monarch. In reality the protection was clearly the UK police walking around with H&K MP5 9mm submachine guns, that you could see in the background. Not the king's 72 year old sister with a shiny stick.

To me watching the King's Coronation is watching an interesting piece of history that is rare and steeped with ancient traditions.

It's also a bit like trying to solve a Dan Brown (Da Vinci Code) novel in real time, working out who's who and why.

E.G. is that guy a Grenadier Guard (buttons in singles, with white plume on the left side of the bearskin cap) or a Coldstream Guard (buttons in 2s, with red plume on the right side of the bearskin cap)?

Of course all the guards are fully trained infantry soldiers, and the guards regiments did multiple combat tours of Iraq and Afghanistan. But their role of guarding the monarch is mostly ceremonial (and voluntary), as they line the road the guards face the king to show respect. It's the police with MP5's who face the crowd (with their back to the king) looking for trouble, that do the real guarding during the procession. And it's the democratically elected Prime Minister that governs the country, not the actual King.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back