Type 2 diabetic wrist watch to monitor blood sugar levels?

Anybody have any experience with the wrist watches that monitor blood sugar levels? I get emails pushing them. Reliable, accuracy or scam?

Got an example?

Are you sure the watch is actually doing the monitoring? Or is it just reporting what a CGM is saying?

Anybody have any experience with the wrist watches that monitor blood sugar levels? I get emails pushing them. Reliable, accuracy or scam?
I vote scam until a well known company can claim ACTUAL non invasive blood monitoring.
For example this is the first well known BUT it's not actual monitoring, it's an algorithm. The word being used "monitoring" is inaccurate if you read the text and I seriously doubt any American company could get away with that.
Im not forming an opinion that what Huawei is bad but I am SAYING that using the word by the writer "monitoring" is very misleading until the text is read.
Another inaccuracy is Apple has been aiming to develop for some time but the Chinese manufacturer is first to market. How can that be if it is not an actual blood glucose monitor? I mean, who writes this stuff? It's very misleading.

"Huawei has launched the first watch to feature non-invasive blood glucose monitoring. This is a feature that other watchmakers, including Apple, have been aiming to develop for some time, but the Chinese manufacturer is the first to market. The device doesn’t measure blood sugar levels directly; instead, it tracks a number of other health metrics that can be used to give indicators of high or low blood sugar levels. This means it won’t replace invasive blood sugar monitors that require diabetics to prick their finger to draw blood, but it can still be used to provide early warning of a hyperglycemic or hypoglycemic episode."

Source- https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernar...ring-to-ai-personal-training/?sh=3b923bcc7258

Last edited:
short version is they don't actually exist yet... they can approximate by making infrences from some other indicators, but checking sugar still requires a blood sacrifice...just a tiny one.

There is nothing on the market today that works. It'll be great when such a device is invented and reliable.

You stated type II diabetic. My wife is a type 1 diabetic. She started wearing a continuous glucose monitor last October. It has a needle probe that that pokes under the skin. It's on the backside of her arm. She says it's slower to respond than her old meter using strips and a finger prick.
She also switched to new long and quick acting insulins. She can't eat unless she takes quick acting insulin first unless her blood sugar is low. She no longer nibbles on food and lost a little weight. She was never fat, but now she is 122 pounds @ 5'8.5".

Don't be afraid to poke your finger, she had to do it multiple times a day for years and still does but much less. If you have the misfortune to be a type II diabetic, be thankful you're not a type I.

They have Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGM) but they involve a small needle.

A wearable might be able to interface with the patch and provide information from the CGM.

A watch by itself at least to my current knowledge cannot measure blood sugar wirelessly itself.

those unfortunate to have type I must do their best to control it BUT those with type II a lifestyle disease can possibly CURE it. Sten Ekburg has a lot of great truthful info on his site, + although not easy or fast reports of cures are noted!!

Any smartphone or smart"watch" with NFC functionality can serve as a CGM reader. Years ago, an Israeli company was working on a non-invasive sensor that could estimate blood glucose levels via skin contact. They failed at bringing this product to market. A CGM sensor has a sensor filament that is inserted vertically into the skin by a half-inch long double-edged slotted needle that is shot into the skin by a spring-loaded sensor applicator. The needle is automatically retracted and the sensor filament remains in the skin while the sensor is attched via a pressure-sensitive adhesive to the skin. The sensor is most commonly attached to the upper arm or at the abdomen where there is at least some body fat.

Any smartphone or smart"watch" with NFC functionality can serve as a CGM reader. Years ago, an Israeli company was working on a non-invasive sensor that could estimate blood glucose levels via skin contact. They failed at bringing this product to market. A CGM sensor has a sensor filament that is inserted vertically into the skin by a half-inch long double-edged slotted needle that is shot into the skin by a spring-loaded sensor applicator. The needle is automatically retracted and the sensor filament remains in the skin while the sensor is attched via a pressure-sensitive adhesive to the skin. The sensor is most commonly attached to the upper arm or at the abdomen where there is at least some body fat.
This sounds like the same method by which the Neulasta (a white blood cell stimulation drug) 'robot' I used during chemo operated. At the chemo clinic, the device was activated and adhered in place, then made a loud 'pop', which was a quick needle jab that left behind a tiny 'straw' (sort of how an IV is started, if you've ever had one) through which the drug was delivered appx 24 hrs later.

Quite handy, as the other method of receiving the drug (which is almost necessary if you don't want to literally live in a bubble with 0 immune system during chemo) involved returning to the clinic the day after chemo for an injection. Cost like $6k a dose, though. Lol

I've wondered if the CGM monitors functioned the same way, thanks for the confirmation!

This sounds like the same method by which the Neulasta (a white blood cell stimulation drug) 'robot' I used during chemo operated. At the chemo clinic, the device was activated and adhered in place, then made a loud 'pop', which was a quick needle jab that left behind a tiny 'straw' (sort of how an IV is started, if you've ever had one) through which the drug was delivered appx 24 hrs later.

Quite handy, as the other method of receiving the drug (which is almost necessary if you don't want to literally live in a bubble with 0 immune system during chemo) involved returning to the clinic the day after chemo for an injection. Cost like $6k a dose, though. Lol

I've wondered if the CGM monitors functioned the same way, thanks for the confirmation!
Unlike with the chemo injector, the CGM sensor itself does not contain the slottedand hollow needle. The sensor comes preloaded in a spring loaded applicator that contains the needle and deployment mechanism. The sensor has a central opening through which the needle can pass. The sensor filament is attached to the sensor electronics and is preloaded into the slotted needle. In order to apply the sensor the sensor applicator is first cocked by compression. Then the applicator is pressed against the application site. This action triggers the needle mechanism. The needle is rapidly deployed only to retract immediately, leaving the sensor filament embedded in the tissue. At the same the sensor is released from the applicator and because of its sticky adhesive the sensor is firmly stuck on the skin. In the case of physically active people and especially children the sensor may lose adhesion earlier than expected or get knocked off. An adhesion promoter may be applied to the skin to improve adhesion. The sensor is somewhat water-resistant but warm water or prolonged immersion or sweating will cause a sensor to come off. A sensor does not have to fully come off to malfunction. If the filament gets sufficiently dislodged the sensor will fail.

As mentioned some can report what a CGM sensor has reported but the technology is not these yet. The major companies certainly want to do blood oxygen and blood glucose levels but it's hard.

I think the watch companies have developed all the low hanging fruit sensors. The rest are hard.

My wife has been using a CGM since Dexcom came out with their G4. She currently using their G7.

The G7 will work with a smart watch but it's not stand alone; it needs to work with a sensor/transmitter that is inserted under the skin and a phone app.

The big advantage is your data history can be shared with your doctors; glucose levels and events like carb intake, insulin usage (manually entered).

Every iteration of the Dexcom has been an improvement but it does create a huge waste stream. Every 7-10 days you're discarding an applicator (contains the needle and associated insertion mechanism), sensor (contains the sensor wire, transmitter and battery). I take a 5 gallon bucket of spent applicators to the hazardous waste center every 6 months or so.

Back