Mens PSA, Prostate health

Don't get me wrong, men do die from metastatic prostate cancer so it's important to get the specific diagnosis via biopsy and management it, but that scenario is rather uncommon with 4-8% of all prostate cancers being metastatic.
My wife and I definitely asked a bunch of questions, but the Dr was geneally not concerned at all. In reality, he was not doing well at that point, yet he surprised us and lived another year and change. The alzheimer's was really bad though. Horrible disease.

Here in Ontario, I've twice paid for a PSA test since it's not covered by OHIP for screening. Cost was $30 or $40 for the test, they were done maybe 6 years apart?
How come you had to pay? I had mine done yearly at University Hospital and that was covered by OHIP.

Just so I understand, are you a Urologist ? That is where the info on the side effects came from.....my Urologist, not this forum.

As for the other supplements, yes, they typically don't do much.

Edit:
The end result of the MRI is that the finger test isn't very accurate. There isn't a size issue. I have, what they call, a high 'neckline' ?? Essentially, pushing uphill through a smaller than normal passage. Age ends up making things more difficult, thus I'll most likely get cut on later this summer....essentially, lowering the slope of the hill...
I know a guy had the uro-lift in the morning and was at work in the afternoon. Good luck to you!

I’m 63 and went through the 20 week radiation treatment finished last November and am waiting for the psa in june.Catching it early and doing the gel before the radiation hopefully was the best choice.The hormone therapy and surgery sounded real bad.Still keep the wifey happy nearly every night,didn’t sound like that would of happened with the surgery.If I’m still effed up I’ll post.

Trying to keep this question "classy", but does removing the prostate affect your love life or does everything usually return to normal after some time?
Hormone treatments and surgery will be zero ejaculation (The urologist can prescribe shots to get it up)I still have a little after 20 radiation treatments at aurora hospital in summit wi. The after affects probably depends on your physical condition and age,but the effects promised me after surgery was a deal breaker,my wife is 6 years younger and sex is very important.(to me) Lost 20 lbs after the radiation but it was hiking and diet,no alcohol and only pot gummy’s now.

How come you had to pay? I had mine done yearly at University Hospital and that was covered by OHIP.

OHIP has been clamping down on some tests over the past few years that they think have been over-prescribed. B12 tests might be one of them. The current rules for PSA tests can be found here:

OHIP will pay if the doctor SUSPECTS you have prostate cancer. Otherwise you will pay, even if the doctor checks the PSA box on the requisition along with other covered bloodwork.

If you're covered by OHIP and you've had PSA tests that you haven't paid for, it's because your doctor genuinely suspects you have prostate cancer - or he fraudulently claimed that on the form just so you didn't have to pay for it. It's $35 if you pay for it.

OHIP has been clamping down on some tests over the past few years that they think have been over-prescribed. B12 tests might be one of them. The current rules for PSA tests can be found here:

OHIP will pay if the doctor SUSPECTS you have prostate cancer. Otherwise you will pay, even if the doctor checks the PSA box on the requisition along with other covered bloodwork.

If you're covered by OHIP and you've had PSA tests that you haven't paid for, it's because your doctor genuinely suspects you have prostate cancer - or he fraudulently claimed that on the form just so you didn't have to pay for it. It's $35 if you pay for it.
I had only an enlarged prostate, no cancer at all, in fact IF cancerous the procedure would not have been done at all. I understand all these laser prostatectomies only apply to BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia) If cancer is involved a more invasive surgery would have to be done.

I feel very lucky. I saw a lot of the invoices of all the medical charges that 2-3 different hospitals sent thru my two insurances. My primary is Medicare due to my age and I have a secondary thru the chemicals company I retired from. Anyway the most total co payments I have seen and paid so far from being in the hospital more than out from Nov 2023 thru March 2024 amounts to actually less than $1000. I feel very lucky about that so far as I saw one bill of charges that went to insurance in total of $30,000. Been a while since my last bill hit the mail box so..............? 🤞

Back