Mens PSA, Prostate health

interesting info for me soon 76 YO. in the USA its all about the $$$ + info shows many not needed tests + procedures are PUSHED, + info shows PSA tests are sketchy. in my 30s i had a higher PSA + doc wanted to poke around i said NO + just took nutritional supplements from research + still doing well!!! diet has an affect on EVERYTHING including the prostrate. good luck to anyone with issues!! we are all individuals + DON't be afraid to speak up + ask questions, after all its YOUR health! i might add many of todays foods + drinks are WORSE than ever, hence the high diabetes + cancers so read + learn how to help yourself, sugar + seed oils, yes they are NOT vegetable oils are the worse according to savy nutritional gurus!!
Thats pretty negative. I went through this last year, at 79. I elected to go the radiation route; 27 daily "doses". So far, so good. My doc told me that prostate removal was an option, but his experience said that should be a last resort. The precision is quite remarkable; I am still recovering (a little) from it, but its nothing I can't tolerate. Said my prostate was as big as an orange!?

I went through pencil beam proton radiation, seeds and Lupron in 2020. I absolutely would not do any of those again, due to what is has done to my kidney plumbing (one of them is now obstructed), and my endocrine system. I spent a lot of time before and since the procedure watching the Mark Scholz Youtube vids, which include how to detect and judge. He has the personality of dust but on every issue he reflected the best or latest info I read elsewhere. That said, the statement I wish I'd taken more seriously was the urologist who said he preferred surgery because the results start out not so good but get better, while radiation starts out fair and gets worse over time.

Whatever the case, I advise very careful surveillance to make sure the cancer does not metasthetize. Mine was trying to (the technical term was Capsular Bulge).

I have just recently received the results of the last bloodwork, & PSA has dropped from 5.2 to 4.3, with the upper normal high level range being 3.5.

I am off to see the Urologist on Friday to see what he has to tell me.

I feel like I want to avoid having a biopsy at my age which seems early, but I guess I will find out what his thoughts are.
My dr. also competed other blood work and found that my Vitamin D levels were lower than I expected them to be. I have been dosing for the past 4 years taking at least 1000 ui, & bumping it up to 2500 for the preceding 4 months.
Normal range for the "25-Hydroxyvitamin D3+Vitamin D2" is 50-125 nmol/L
I was at the low end of normal at only 63.

I expected it to be much higher.

Going to bump up my daily dose to 5000 ui.

Regarding the MRI- they must have scheduled the MRI on a 1.5T magnet and not a 3T. 3T is used for anything where high detail is needed. Unfortunately it is a common occurrence for schedulers to overlook this.

Trying to keep this question "classy", but does removing the prostate affect your love life or does everything usually return to normal after some time?
Three is no one size that fits all answers to these questions. It's impossible because there is no one answer, everyone is different.
Best first search on the internet, educate, then talk with doctor.

I have had 3 MRIs and 3 Biopies so far, still no cancer. First high PSA came in over 4 around 6 years ago. MRI and Biopsy came back clean. I also had at the time experimental urine test, it said I most likely had cancer. I didnt.

Since then PSA has gone to 6 and 8 or 10 and had another two MRIs and Biopsies in the last 2 to 4 years, still no cancer now to 15 to 21 (infection a while ago) back down to 15 and now at 10 taking the drug Finasteride which shrinks the gland so its holding at 10 so far.
Im in a new home, new doctor, I like the guy, saw him twice so far. I made clear I want to stay proactive. So as soon as he thinks so I have no problem with another MRI and Bioposy. I actually want them done now, its getting close to two years since the last one was done.

First biopsy back in 2017ish they put me to sleep, my newer at the time doctor (same location) did two more years later (about 1 to 2 years apart while I was awake.
Not pleasant AT ALL but its over so fast I prefer to be awake, literally takes less than 15 minutes for the procedure and your out of there.
So grin and bear it, 15 minutes your done. I wont say its a big nothing, it sucks but 15 minutes or less and its over with. Well worth being able to walk in and out of the place in one hour.

AS far as sex life, anything involving the gland can disrupt it. Drugs or surgery. Everyone is different and everyone has different side effects to a degree, even drugs. Ive been lucky and posting this so people know, everyone is different so there is a chance at least with drugs you wont be affected. Im doing well with the Finasteride and no change in my sex life. There was another drug Tamsulosin that I wasnt thrilled about, it didnt do much. Taking the Finasteride was good but results vary among everyone from what I understand.
Im also getting older but as far as I know I have a normal sex life, my wife seems to think way more then other people my age. *LOL*
I think, I could be wrong, dont dwell on it. I rarely type this much about it but if it helps to let others know, there are no hard and fast rules, be positive and it may work out that way.

Good luck to those concerned, Prostrate Cancer Diagnosis sucks. There are no hard and fast rules. I think Biopsy is the gold standard and even then there could be a small cancer missed until it gets bigger.

PS I am not a doctor, these are my impressions and personal experiences.

Last edited:
I have just recently received the results of the last bloodwork, & PSA has dropped from 5.2 to 4.3, with the upper normal high level range being 3.5.

I feel like I want to avoid having a biopsy at my age which seems early, but I guess I will find out what his thoughts are.
Listen to your doctor see my post above this one. If he wants a biopsy get one. Insurance approval typically dictates (in the USA anyway) if they will approve it. May not if it has dropped HOWEVER it depends if the same PSA test was used on both. If it's the same Dr I am sure but there are different tests. The high sensitivity test will read typically 20% higher PSA than WHO standard PSA test.
(im an not an expert, just experiences posted above) Good luck

BTW you mention "early age" I would be concerned then, having numbers that high. In my mid fifties I was only at 0.7 (zero POINT 7)
Now I am at 10.0 (TEN POINT ZERO) and at 15 last year with a peak the year before of 21. Sometimes a high score at a younger age maybe concerning. Heck, you dont even need a high PSA to have cancer either, its all about percentages - higher score greater percentage of the population doesnt mean a borderline or below score is safe

Dont get crazy over this and dont let it occupy your life. Stay proactive, listen to your doctor and then go home and forget about it.

My dr. also competed other blood work and found that my Vitamin D levels were lower than I expected them to be. I have been dosing for the past 4 years taking at least 1000 ui, & bumping it up to 2500 for the preceding 4 months.
Normal range for the "25-Hydroxyvitamin D3+Vitamin D2" is 50-125 nmol/L
I was at the low end of normal at only 63.

I expected it to be much higher.

Going to bump up my daily dose to 5000 ui.
Don’t believe that it’s too early. I was 54 when I had my prostate removed. My dad also had his removed before he turned 60.

Most men who live long enough will die with prostate cancer, not because of it.
So, my Father-In-Law passed away February 2021. He was 92. When he was 90, he was told by his Dr he had prostate cancer. My Mother-In-Law asked what could be done. Dr shrugged his shoulders and said "Don't worry about it." He was right. My FIL passed from Pneumonia (had Alheimers also.)

So, my Father-In-Law passed away February 2021. He was 92. When he was 90, he was told by his Dr he had prostate cancer. My Mother-In-Law asked what could be done. Dr shrugged his shoulders and said "Don't worry about it." He was right. My FIL passed from Pneumonia (had Alheimers also.)
Don't get me wrong, men do die from metastatic prostate cancer so it's important to get the specific diagnosis via biopsy and management it, but that scenario is rather uncommon with 4-8% of all prostate cancers being metastatic.

Raw milk, mega dosing vitamin C, and Saw Palmetto honey prevents and heals prostate cancer.
O Please :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Before you do the the radical surgery. Consider there is absolutely no guarantee that you will get sustainable erections.
I personally would not choose that route again.

@cdlamb
Take it serious and listen to your doctor is all I can say. Dont discount the danger of any type of cancer.

Im reading armchair posts in here how this and that is not needed, hey, its your life, not theirs and why I say listen to your doctor and never put a threat of cancer off for another day.

Just as many men die of prostrate cancer as woman do of breast cancer. It's cancer, dont ignore it. Prostrate cancer really is the equal of breast cancer in woman in deaths, except prostrate cancer is MUCH harder to diagnose for men. Men statistically tie woman (by 1/2%) for the second most cause of death by cancer.

Latest CDC caner death rates puts almost a tie for #2 between breast cancer and prostrate cancer
Source = https://gis.cdc.gov/Cancer/USCS/#/AtAGlance/

Good news is, like breast cancer the key is to catch it early. My wife was proactive regarding breast cancer. Radiologist told her he wasnt to concerned about one area that she thought was a concern. But if she wanted she could insist a biopsy be done if not then later on. She thought about it for a whole two days, it was cancer caught early, now it's been 10 years and no return. Early enough that she didnt need chemo. This is why my craziness is about early.

Also because of my stupid past habit of occasional smoking I get a yearly CT Lung Scan to catch any changes early, so far so good. Later this year will be my third scan and they will be able to compare if any changes more readily.

Last edited:
I have some pretty bad family history with prostate cancer. Every male on my fathers side including him had prostate cancer before 50. I'm now 54 and my PSA just came back at 1.3 🤔
Well your Dr will advise you.
Here is some info;

@cdlamb
Take it serious and listen to your doctor is all I can say. Dont discount the danger of any type of cancer.

Im reading armchair posts in here how this and that is not needed, hey, its your life, not theirs and why I say listen to your doctor and never put a threat of cancer off for another day.

Just as many men die of prostrate cancer as woman do of breast cancer. It's cancer, dont ignore it. Prostrate cancer really is the equal of breast cancer in woman in deaths, except prostrate cancer is MUCH harder to diagnose for men. Men statistically tie woman (by 1/2%) for the second most cause of death by cancer.

Latest CDC caner death rates puts almost a tie for #2 between breast cancer and prostrate cancer
Source = https://gis.cdc.gov/Cancer/USCS/#/AtAGlance/

Good news is, like breast cancer the key is to catch it early. My wife was proactive regarding breast cancer. Radiologist told her he wasnt to concerned about one area that she thought was a concern. But if she wanted she could insist a biopsy be done if not then later on. She thought about it for a whole two days, it was cancer caught early, now it's been 10 years and no return. Early enough that she didnt need chemo. This is why my craziness is about early.

Also because of my stupid past habit of occasional smoking I get a yearly CT Lung Scan to catch any changes early, so far so good. Later this year will be my third scan and they will be able to compare if any changes more readily.
Doctors following guidelines stop screening for Prostate cancer at age70.
(Last paragraph)

I've been on Flomax for a few years now.
Went in to a Urologist a few weeks ago, and had an MRI done. Meeting with him on Thursday, to see where I'm at.

Doctors following guidelines stop screening for Prostate cancer at age70.
(Last paragraph)
Recommendations by various groups in that article, not guidelines. Talking with your doctor is key. I will always get PSA tests though I am not near 70 years old either. Either way, they will pay until I am ready which for me would be closer to 80.
Here is Sloan Kettering recommendations and its very specific and the page deals with exactly this subject, recommendation to talk with your doctor at 76 years or older.

I've been on Flomax for a few years now.
Went in to a Urologist a few weeks ago, and had an MRI done. Meeting with him on Thursday, to see where I'm at.
Good luck, if unhappy with Flomax(akaTamsulosin), ask about Finasteride. You may find after 3 months you no longer need the Flomax and maybe more effective. It was for me as recommended to me by my new doctor. I took both for the first 3 months, then stopped the Flomax(Tamsulosin)
If you need a biopsy based on your MRI that he will discuss with you on what he recommends. I posted on that already above.

Nothing to be embarrassed on this subject. Anyone in here, no matter their age has a 75% chance of going through it as they get older.

Most men who live long enough will die with prostate cancer, not because of it.
That's true but when prostate cancer spreads it usually goes into the bones causing a very painful death.

I chose Cyberknife radiation at NYU for treatment 2 years ago and I don't know yet if it's been totally successful (PSA is now 2.75 down from 12ish). I did have a lot of side effects from it like emergency surgery for peritonitis
(perforated bowel....extremely painful) 1 month after my last dose of radiation followed by several bouts of diverticulitis (2 of which hospitalized me) and finally a bowel resection which seems to have fixed the bowel issue.

Before the radiation I had diverticulosis like most men over 60 and had no symptoms so I believe the radiation caused the damage and the bowel surgeon confirmed there was signs of radiation damage to my bowel.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting biopsies (pain wise). I've had it done twice and it's more discomfort than painful. Lastly, if I had to do it all over I'd have had the prostate removed.

As far as sexual function....I had no issues with it before but I do now. I had many friends from work who came down with prostate (and other) cancers after spending too much time on the pile after the WTC attack on 9/11 (the EPA told us the air was safe....) Some had their prostate removed....some had radiation...some of those that had either treatment had no issues and some had major issues with incontinence, sexual function etc...It's a crap shoot.

Last edited:
Back